Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey bdog, How long was the entire process for you?
    Nothing worth having comes easy...earn it

Comment

I took the written in september of 2010. took the pft, oral interview and psych test all in the same day in March of 2011. passed the background in April and took the medical in May.

i got a call from personnel 3 days ago, they told me there was an academy for Ely starting June 13. From what im hearing, Ely is the only place that there are openings. but idk how true that is since personnel wouldnt confirm it. I was hoping to get in some where in the Las Vegas area.

Comment

Thank you BDOG. If you dont mind can i pm you and ask some questions regarding the process.

Thank you

Comment

sure thing

Comment

I hate to be the one to say this, but NDOC will conveniently forget openings in urban areas when they need to fill remote posts. Ely isnt bad. Just realize that it IS rural Nevada. People that I know who have worked there complained about management, but that could be said for every yard in Nevada.
            Sorry they don't appreciate your education. Unfortunately, NDOC knows that there is someone out there without a degree that would gladly take the job. One of the guys I went to the academy with holds a degree and every POST certificate issued by Nevada (Basic I & III, Intermediate, Advanced, Management and Executive). He & I were able to qualify for immediate promotion to CO because of our LE experience.
            I was proud of being a CO. The agency doesn't give it's people alot of training and really is afraid of a CO making a decision, but I learned alot. I ran into many CO's that had horrible attitudes, but I also met some of the best people I've known in law enforcement. Professionalism and Pride in one's agencies starts with you. Good luck in your career.

Comment

Thank you Vanguard. I am trying to figure out if its worth it to move to such a remote place or if i should just wait it out until Las Vegas has an opening.

Comment

"AND THE FRANKENTHREAD RISES! "
                Hey guys, gals...others...I'm considering putting in my app for NDOC. An early post in the thread mentioned there were 12 hour shifts at Lovelock and Ely. Is this still true? Are there any other facilities with twelves?

Edit: I now have my answer on the twelve hour shifts. Anybody have any information on shift differential pay, overtime availability and/or off duty security work?
                Last edited by ComicGuy; 06-15-2012, 07:44 PM.
                sigpic
                Don't make me gassy.
                You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

Anyone interested in working for NDOC keep this in mind. If you choose employee/employer PERS option, EVERY CHECK will get an additional deduction of 22% on your pay. This does not include taxes. So if your pay is about 38k a year, calculate the 22% deduction and you will get a more realistic take home pay. If you choose employer only PERS, your hourly rate is actually less than what is shown on the job announcement. If you choose the medical insurance for your family, that's additional 300 to 400 dollars every month. I worked there for about a year and half. I'm glad I quit and became a police officer. There are very good officers that work at NDOC and I've learned so much while I was there. Their hiring process is a joke though, no polygraph, vey easy written test and physical agility test is also a joke. During the backgrounds they don't call anyone about you. They just run your criminal background record and that's it. Its a good starting place but consider the pay because they won't tell you this unless you pull it out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by not-a-deputy-yet View Post
                    Anyone interested in working for NDOC keep this in mind. If you choose employee/employer PERS option, EVERY CHECK will get an additional deduction of 22% on your pay. This does not include taxes. So if your pay is about 38k a year, calculate the 22% deduction and you will get a more realistic take home pay. If you choose employer only PERS, your hourly rate is actually less than what is shown on the job announcement. If you choose the medical insurance for your family, that's additional 300 to 400 dollars every month. I worked there for about a year and half. I'm glad I quit and became a police officer. There are very good officers that work at NDOC and I've learned so much while I was there. Their hiring process is a joke though, no polygraph, vey easy written test and physical agility test is also a joke. During the backgrounds they don't call anyone about you. They just run your criminal background record and that's it. Its a good starting place but consider the pay because they won't tell you this unless you pull it out of them.
                    Okie-dokie, so...how's about all the other questions that I asked? Can you do paid overtime? Is there shift differential? What kind of off-duty work is there? Do they have cookies?
                    sigpic
                    Don't make me gassy.

Comment

Originally posted by ComicGuy View Post
                      Okie-dokie, so...how's about all the other questions that I asked? Can you do paid overtime? Is there shift differential? What kind of off-duty work is there? Do they have cookies?
                      Overtime is very rare at thbe prison I worked in. If you go to the Ely prison I heard there is plenty of it there. You get paid time a nd a half for OT. There is shift differential, but on a 12 hour shift its only paid for 8 hours. Total shift diff is about 50 bucks a check if you work nights. Most prisons are 12 hour shifts. Not sure what you mean by "off-duty work" but when you are off duty you don't do anything work related period. They do have cookies that are made by inmates and sometimes thrown at COs. These cookies aren't the real deal though LOL

Comment

Wow, that's some crappy shift differential right there. In Colorado shift diff is seven and a half percent for swings and ten for grave. Oh, well. Bad with the good, I guess.
                        I would very much love me some overtime, I hope there's some available where I end up.
                        I was hoping there was some off duty security work that could be picked up for piles of cash, but I wasn't holding my breath.
                        That retirement thing sounds like its broken or something. (Colorado's isn't much better, if you plan on going to the end and pulling the pin.) I'll just have to make sure that it's not my only option for when I'm old and bitter (make that older and bitterer.)
                        sigpic
                        Don't make me gassy.

Comment

Wow, that's some crappy shift differential right there. In Colorado shift diff is seven and a half percent for swings and ten for grave. Oh, well. Bad with the good, I guess.
                          I would very much love me some overtime, I hope there's some available where I end up.
                          I was hoping there was some off duty security work that could be picked up for piles of cash, but I wasn't holding my breath.
                          That retirement thing sounds like its broken or something. (Colorado's isn't much better, if you plan on going to the end and pulling the pin.) I'll just have to make sure that it's not my only option for when I'm old and bitter (make that older and bitterer.)
                          Metro gives 4% for swing and 6% for graves. Being a CO at Metro gives one the potential to make a lot of money since there is a lot of overtime available (24 hours a week if you want it).

Comment

I took the test for NVDOC last year and failed the polygraph.
                            I only failed because I had just completed the physical endurance test a half hour before with a full blown FLU.
                            The test some something like 1700 questions and I wasn't in the proper frame of mind.
                            I can however re-apply one full year later.
                            My question is this:
                            Will my failing the written psyche test hamper my chances this time around?
                            Do they look at the fact that I failed once as something to disqualify me?
                            Any info is appreciated.
                            I want this job more than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by makomike View Post
                              I took the test for NVDOC last year and failed the polygraph.
                              I only failed because I had just completed the physical endurance test a half hour before with a full blown FLU.
                              The test some something like 1700 questions and I wasn't in the proper frame of mind.
                              I can however re-apply one full year later.
                              My question is this:
                              Will my failing the written psyche test hamper my chances this time around?
                              Do they look at the fact that I failed once as something to disqualify me?
                              Any info is appreciated.
                              I want this job more than anything.
                              Polygraph? What polygraph? Did you mean to say psyche test both times?

I managed to go take the physical test, pass the physical test, yet still fail the physical test.
                              The agility test for class III post is a 20.4 second timed test. I did it in 20.2 seconds and was told that I failed. I'm puzzled by this, to say the least, but I intend to go back and take it again in a month or so, and make sure that I test out above class I post levels so there's no doubt that I passed.

When I was driving around Carson City after the test, I was struck by the natural beauty of the area surrounding the town. I very much hope that I can make it my home in the near future.
                              sigpic
                              Don't make me gassy.

Comment

Polygraph? What polygraph? Did you mean to say psyche test both times?
                                Yes. I meant to say psyche test. Sorry.
                                Do you know if my failing it is going to have some sort of underlying {not spoken about} reason to disqualify me?
                                I know they'll say it wont but who knows how that translates in the real world.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2978 users online. 184 members and 2794 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X