300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Gentleman's Academy" ?

Anyone else hearing rumors that LVMPD is heading towards having a 'gentleman's academy,' more like FBI, etc. as opposed to the high-stress model?
    LVMPD:THE BEST

That sounds very un-Metro like. I think there are distinct advantages to using the high-stress academy for training uniformed street cops. Freezing up on your first couple of calls because you have never been around people who are at an emotional level of 10+ is the predicted outcome for some.
    Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by duke3478 View Post
      Anyone else hearing rumors that LVMPD is heading towards having a 'gentleman's academy,' more like FBI, etc. as opposed to the high-stress model?
      I had herd that rumored back in March of 2006, I was attending the LVMPD Citizens Academy and one of the recruiters that came in mentioned it, said something about losing to many recruits.

I hope that is not true, even though I have only been in the military I feel that if a recruit can’t handle controlled stress how are they going to handle out of control stress/situations on the street?

This argument has been debated to death before but I feel a stressful academy is a good thing, in my opinion.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I think it should be a hybrid of the two types. The first 6 weeks or so the stress is good, but after that it just becomes annoying more than anything else. By this point, everyone knows the staff doesn't really hate your guts. They are playing a role and everyone knows it. It's like, he's just yelling at me because he has to. You know that no matter what you do you will get yelled at, so it loses its effect.

That is not to say all discipline should go out the window after a few weeks, but the "stress" just for the sake of stressing is overboard and accomplishes little.

After the first few weeks, the weak are weeded out (for the most part) and you understand your place as a worthless recruit. Once that is established, lets get on with the learning and not spend so much time eating dirt for reasons that I'm not even sure of sometimes.

Just my opinion.

Comment

FT28, well said and that does make a lot of sense. When I was in basic training after week three everyone knew what was going on as you said the instructors were just playing a role and so were we.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Originally posted by duke3478 View Post
            Are you thinking of going back through again? Since you've put on a few more pounds, you should be good to go.
            People grow through experience, if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Comment

That is just a rumor, METRO is the best for a reason. If you want a kinder gentler academy, you will have to look somewhere else.

Comment

That is just a rumor...I can see you as a TAC Duke...Go for it....

Comment

VegasMetro: Me as a TAC? I don't think so, at least not for a good long while. I can't keep a straight face for six months.

R12BS: I've lost pounds since, actually, mr. fitness.

I hear a lot of talk about higher academy attrition rates, and how that affects the perceived results of the 'more cops' money being poured in. FTEP attrition is also higher than before.

I have heard first-hand from academy role-players who have been told to take it easy on recruits, and that high-stress role-playing might cause them to go into high speed wobbles.....well, so? Isn't that the point?

I've also heard from FTO's who have been directed to score trainees higher so they don't lose confidence and quit. Why?

I hope these are isolated cases and 'just rumor.' If we start toning things down for the sake of retention, we're going to be in trouble.
                  LVMPD:THE BEST

Comment

A kinder, gentler academy???? Ask,tell, make is gonna turn into; ask, ask again, ask nicer, ask while giving a shoulder rub, ask again even nicer than before, then call Sarge for help. We dont need a bunch of Dr. Phil's out there.

Comment

I AGREE, I PLAN ON GETTING HIRED BY METRO BECAUSE THE ARE THE BEST, HAVING THE BEST TRAINING, THERE KNOWN TO BE THE BIG DAWGS (respectfully that is). I WANT TO BE TRAINED BY THE BEST. GENTALMENS ACADMEY ?? COME ON NOW....DONT LOWER THE STANDERIZED OF BEING THE BEST....

Comment

The fight, flight, or freezing-up action mediated by the amygdala in reponse to stressor stimuli has to be conditioned, preferably without excessive accumulation of cortisol or excessive secretions from the adrenal cortices. Stress training if done properly keeps the testosterone on top of the cortisol. I think force-on-force training of specific techniques for immediate appropriate response should be emphasized.

Comment

Umm...Right on man!

Comment

Okay...i when i look up some of those words then i will have a form of understanding...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                              The fight, flight, or freezing-up action mediated by the amygdala in reponse to stressor stimuli has to be conditioned, preferably without excessive accumulation of cortisol or excessive secretions from the adrenal cortices. Stress training if done properly keeps the testosterone on top of the cortisol. I think force-on-force training of specific techniques for immediate appropriate response should be emphasized.

Monty, the number of your glial cells exceeds that of most primates, to be sure.
                              Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6255 users online. 346 members and 5909 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X