300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas County Sheriff's Office

Does anyone have any detailed information pertaining to this office? I’m still currently in backgrounds with Nye County Sheriffs Office and have been in backgrounds with DPS since May, but if something happens with those two I was thinking about heading north, it would get me closer to where I grew up.

Anyhow, if anyone has any information please let me know, I would appreciate it. Information like quality of life with the department/office, other deputies, working in the jail, patrol, biggest complaint, hiring process etc.

Thanks in advance.

*Side Note I Have Looked At Their Website* Just Looking For A First Hand Account
    Last edited by djblank87; 09-05-2008, 08:08 AM.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Well, you know I haven't worked for them directly, but I did go to the academy with some of them, and they were all solid people all around. They have had the same Sheriff for quite some time, which is usually a good sign too.

You get to take care of Lake Tahoe. Incline Village is a VERY upscale, expensive area right on the lake. They have a marine patrol too.

Not sure about working in the jail first. I know you can work for a year in Nevada before you go through POST, I don't know if they do that or send you immediately. They guys I went to the academy with were all going directly into patrol.

When you were on their website, do they have seperate job announcements for the jail and patrol? Maybe give them a call and ask.
    Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Hey BT,
      When I called and spoke with a female in HR, she stated that they are hiring and you have to work for one year in the jail and then off to patrol you go pending your evaluation's etc.

BT, how was the jail there when you were still in state, new facility or old, big small etc?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I was only there once, but it was a nice place. Good sized and pretty new. I am pretty sure the one year in the jail is so they can send you to POST. Douglas goes to POST in Carson at the Stewart facility, which is only a few minutes drive from most parts of Douglas County (it butts up against Carson City).

Lots of "famous" people like in Douglas county due to the lake. You also have Minden, Gardnerville, and Lake Topaz, all of which the DCSO takes care of.

The whole area around Cradlebaugh and Stephanie Way has exploded over the last few years. People are moving there in droves. The SO takes care of all of that. I don't think there are ANY PD's in Douglas, so the SO takes care of the whole county.

In the winter, you have all the ski resorts, as well as Zephyr Cove, and several brutal stretches of road that go over the Sierra's. NHP will take care of them, but some of those storms drop FEET of snow. Good times.

You also have New Year's Eve at the lake, which is a huge party. You will have lots of help from the troopers, and anyone else that can spare bodies.

Working in the jail first is a great way to get proficient in agency policy, state law, county ordinance, 10-codes, getting to know people, and just the general way of doing things. Use the time, and you will come out of the jail waaaay ahead of most road rookies.
        Last edited by BigTrooper; 09-05-2008, 11:08 AM.
        Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by BigTrooper View Post
          Working in the jail first is a great way to get proficient in agency policy, state law, county ordinance, 10-codes, getting to know people, and just the general way of doing things. Use the time, and you will come out of the jail waaaay ahead of most road rookies.
          That is what I was thinking, working in the jail first would be great experience.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

One correction for you BT, Incline Village is in Washoe County on the north shore. You are probably thinking about Round Hill and Zephyr Cove as being the ritzy places in Douglas County.

I was thinking about applying at Douglas also, but wasn't sure about working in the jail. The way you put it makes a lot of sense, maybe I will think about it even more. Do they pay your way through the academy or do you have to put up the money? The website made it sound iffy.

Comment

I could have sworn Incline was in Douglas. My bad. I know Crystal Bay is on the north shore, very upscale as well. There are some very cool places around there.

Comment

Originally posted by robinsonchuck View Post
                One correction for you BT, Incline Village is in Washoe County on the north shore. You are probably thinking about Round Hill and Zephyr Cove as being the ritzy places in Douglas County.

I was thinking about applying at Douglas also, but wasn't sure about working in the jail. The way you put it makes a lot of sense, maybe I will think about it even more. Do they pay your way through the academy or do you have to put up the money? The website made it sound iffy.
                RC, from what I'm told if you pass your probation period during the first year you will be sent to the academy on their dime. BT, told me in PM's awhile ago that working in the jail would only give you valuable experience. I have thought about it for a month or so now and it's not such a bad idea, only positive things could come from it.

If your going to test let me know, I'm thinking about the Oct. 22nd testing date but that could change.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

The High Sierra Academy is the only one I know of in Northern Nevada that you can pay your own way through. Everyone that goes through NLEA is already a hired employee of their sponsoring agency. I haven't heard of a lot of people who put themselves through and then get hired, traditionally in Nevada it is the other way around. There are several agencies that have their own academy in Nevada, like Metro, DPS, DOC, etc.

I have heard of many agencies making new hires sign a contract that says if they don't make it through the academy or leave before a specified time, they have to reimburse the hiring agency.

Think of the experience you could gain by starting at the jail. You could get to know everyone, know the policy, know state law, know how to handle prisoners, know the beats and areas, know a hell of a lot of things. Really no downside to that, and you get your PERS started too.

Comment

I have spent 11 of my 12 years as a patrol officer in a rural county in Nevada prior to going to the Nevada Department of Corrections. No, this agency is not perfect (I don't think that it can spell "perfect"), but it tries. A big part of my decision was that I found MSNBC Lockup fascinating and that I would learn a lot of stuff. I have. Some of it is freakish. I work part-time for a Clark County Police agency and I find that I pick up on things that I never really understood before. I don't think that people should HAVE to work in a jail of prison before going to Patrol, but you really do learn a lot.

I went to the FTO class that DCSO put on a few years ago. They are a very professional agency even if their pay didn't reflect it.

I'm just trying to figure out how Big Trooper wound up in Georgia as I know the mighty 6419 isn't from there. Regardless, it's good to know that you are alive and well, BT.
                    Last edited by Vanguard2279; 09-06-2008, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks so far for the input, BT and VG, did you two used to work together?

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Sounds like he knows me, that's my old badge number/call sign. Hmmm, quite the mystery. I may have to shoot off a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTrooper View Post
                          Sounds like he knows me, that's my old badge number/call sign. Hmmm, quite the mystery. I may have to shoot off a PM.
                          I'm thinking he is a Police Officer or Sheriff's Deputy in one of the towns you used to roll threw.....fire that PM off.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Actually, it's a deputy I used to work with like 4 days a week on swing shift.

Mystery solved.

Comment

Well at least you figured that one out.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6209 users online. 375 members and 5834 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X