300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy and Field Training Separation

"We had 96 start the academy when I was in, we graduated around 71.....a further 45 made it through field training."

I read the above in an old post. I believe it was referring to SDRPA. I have seen plenty of posts about the significant number of recruits who don't make it through the academy, but was surprised that so many made it through the academy only to not make it through field training. Can anyone tell me some of the reasons that recruits would be separated during field training (and academy)? Thanks.

I can speak only for DPS, and as you did not specify, I will give you my take. The most common reason for losing our guys in Vegas was they did not know the beat/sectors and did not show any improvement. Others just were not assertive enough, and others showed no indications of improving their officer safety skills.

We started my academy class with 24, and graduated with 20. We lost another 4 on FTO for the reasons I wrote above.
    Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Officer Safety is the number one reason for non conformation while in the FTEP process.

Comment

My Metro academy class started with 103 on Orientation night. At the end of the 1st day, we were down to 99. We graduated 79, and then 40-something made it through FTEP.

As for reasons why in the Academy, mainly academic or drop outs, but there were a few that got hurt in some fashion. Reasons in FTEP vary but were primarily officer safety issues. There are always exceptions though, 2 out of my class got arrested.

As long as you stay the course, stay motivated, and maintain the straight and narrow you'll do fine.
        "You will face fear and pain. Do not listen; they will only give you excuses to quit..." -LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC

Comment

I would definitely point out Officer Safety being the number one reason.

It doesn't matter what department or what Academy you attend, the fact remains that wherever you are, the Academy is a controlled environment and FTEP typically is the real world on the streets, and NOT a controlled enviornment.

Assertiveness and being able to take control in a situation is important.
          Knowing where you are and being able to take constructive criticism and fix what your doing wrong is also important.

In my opinion, those are some of the reasons that we lost the high amount of people in FTEP.
          The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by ARB View Post
            ... 2 out of my class got arrested.

As long as you stay the course, stay motivated, and maintain the straight and narrow you'll do fine.

Yep, I guess that will do 'er.

We had a guy in my academy class that was going to the whore houses east of Carson asking, no DEMANDING a discount because he was a state trooper. He used his real first name. The next day after the complaint, all the cadets named Mike were line up outside the Captain's office. We all went to class. They came and got all his books and his name tag right in the middle of class. Never saw him again.

Very good advice too.
            Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by BigTrooper View Post
              Yep, I guess that will do 'er.

We had a guy in my academy class that was going to the whore houses east of Carson asking, no DEMANDING a discount because he was a state trooper. He used his real first name. The next day after the complaint, all the cadets named Mike were line up outside the Captain's office. We all went to class. They came and got all his books and his name tag right in the middle of class. Never saw him again.

Very good advice too.

Hahaha

Both you and ARB certainly offer some good advice.
              I guess some more advice would be 'common sense' which apparently is lacking in society now a days.....
              The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4169 users online. 243 members and 3926 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X