Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State DPS Update

Howdy all,
    I just talked to a couple of my buddies in Nevada. The NHP has been approved for 50 troopers to be hired. In order to get these positions, vacancies from P & P, Investigations, and other divisions were either "donated" or taken, closing these other divisions out for years in some cases.

Once these are hired-that's it and that's all for quite some time.

They are leaning toward most of these being DPS Officer II's, because it costs so much less than DPS Officer I's, although both are open.

Get your stuff in ASAP! One of my sources works in HQ, and he said once these slots are filled, there is NO TELLING how long it may be. Like I said, P & P is "closed out" for 3 years because their positions were taken.

Overall, 74 positions were cut from DPS this year due to the budget, and there will many more next year.
    Last edited by BigTrooper; 08-14-2008, 06:35 PM.
    Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Thanks for the update! (and for starting a new thread) :-)

Comment

On the website, it says there are frozen on all sworn positions for an indefinite period of time. Also, they lost there COLA raises for the year, because of the whole mess. I work with quite a few troopers who are also saying that there was talk of possibly taking away take home cars for the urban units, because of costs. I would just be leary of whats happening over there.....

Comment

I was told they may not update the website because they have more than enough applicants in the pool to fill the positions, but both DPS Officer I and II are open.
        Gimme a Diablo sammich and a Dr. Pepper, and make it snappy - I'm in a gotd**n hurry!

Comment

BT, you have a PM inbound and thanks for the update.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

I would have loved to move to Vegas. I received my Background packet earlier this week and cannot fill it out. I just received a 6% increase in pay and trying to enjoy it. While this would have been a dream job, I don't feel comfortable at all with what's happening at the state level.

DJ, chuckrobinson, and especially BT(you the bomb), I wish you sincere success with DPS. I will probably go Fed., I will know today. L*er

Comment

The state still received their COLA raises.

Comment

Originally posted by dsns5000 View Post
                I would have loved to move to Vegas. I received my Background packet earlier this week and cannot fill it out. I just received a 6% increase in pay and trying to enjoy it. While this would have been a dream job, I don't feel comfortable at all with what's happening at the state level.

DJ, chuckrobinson, and especially BT(you the bomb), I wish you sincere success with DPS. I will probably go Fed., I will know today. L*er
                Thanks for the kind words. The 10 years I spent there were some of the best in my life, but I am very happy not being there now. Best of luck to you!

If any of you guys want a brutally honest and blunt assessment, let me know. I don't want any of you to have false expectations. BTW, I am not going to trash DPS, not at all, I just wish someone would have been as honest with me when I first came on. Each Division is very specialized and one dimensional.

Comment

Why is everyone so gung ho for DPS? If you live in the Las Vegas area it is much better to get on with local agencies. The pay is alot better. Even Corrections for the city and county pay more than DPS. My buddy works for the city and does Corrections and they start out at 54k a year. And they pay your PERS. If you work for the state you have to pay half of your PERS.

Comment

I am gung ho for DPS because it pays slightly more than the local depts and you get slightly better perks. Plus, I already work for the state, so I would get to keep my sick/vacation.

If this doesn't work out for me, then I will probably stay where I'm at for now. I will have to evaluate it if that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Futurecop1234 View Post
                      I honestly don't realize why people move here especially from the east coast? I moved here from the east coast and I hate it for many reasons. First, the scenery is horrible. Dirt and rocks and thats all. This is not a good place to raise a family. The school system is the second worst in the nation. The only school system worse is Louisiana. That means Mississppi is better. What does that say? That isn't good. The city is a joke. Theres nothing to do unless you are into clubs, gaming, or drinking which i am not into. If anyone is thinking of relocating here think again. The only positive is Metro and the surrounding agencies pay well. That is a pro but there are plenty of cons. Theres alot of trash in this city and it seems like the city of second chances. If you can't make it in a city like Boston, move here and valet cars. This city is a sesspool of filth. Ok, I am done. I am curious to what others think of this town.
                      Does it really matter why people in this thread are gung-ho for DPS. You dont even like Vegas in general.
                      That and how many DPS threads are there vs. how many Metro or North threads. Have you been into those threads asking why they're so gung-ho on metro or north?

Comment

Originally posted by skigoggles View Post
                        Does it really matter why people in this thread are gung-ho for DPS. You dont even like Vegas in general.
                        That and how many DPS threads are there vs. how many Metro or North threads. Have you been into those threads asking why they're so gung-ho on metro or north?
                        Way to pull up a post he made a few months ago I think we should have more DPS threads along with more threads from other agencies because there are people who want to work for them, and the more threads we have about each agency, the more information there is for those people.

Comment

Originally posted by Futurecop1234 View Post
                          Why is everyone so gung ho for DPS? If you live in the Las Vegas area it is much better to get on with local agencies. The pay is alot better. Even Corrections for the city and county pay more than DPS. My buddy works for the city and does Corrections and they start out at 54k a year.

How is it much better to get on with local agencies? Every single one of us is looking for something different in law enforcement and each department play's a unique role in their assigned areas.

As for the pay, sure LVMPD, NLVPD and Henderson all pay more no question there. It’s not about how much you make, it’s whether or not you enjoy the work. I have some very close personnel friends on with LVMPD, I admire the heck out of those guys but I do not want to work with in their department at this time. I like the aspect of being state wide as opposed to city wide/area command wide.

Now if I went into a LVMPD thread and asked why so many people wanted to be employed with LVMPD, I would be tarred and feathered. Most will give you a generic answer and say they want to work for the best and the department that has a little of everything to offer. Those two things are true by the way (in my opinion) but the real reason so many want to work with LVMPD is because the have the most openings and by having the most openings it means a better chance for you to get hired.

I’m all for wanting to work for the best and get a chance in law enforcement but I feel by doing your homework and research about different departments you have to go where it suits you and the department best.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

If you live in Southern Nevada the local agenices are the way to go. Better equipmnet, better pay. more room for advancement.

Comment

It seems kind of odd that you would come in here and question other people's desire to work for one agency or another. Like dj said, they are not going on the Metro thread asking why you are so gung ho to work there. If it annoys you for some unexplainable reason, don't come in here.

Considering what you said in the past (scroll down-quoted in post #11), you don't have a lot of credibility with me to question anyone. Officers from Metro and the state risk and lose their lives for the "trash and city of second chances." If you really feel that way, you can always move.

In addition, we had excellent equipment, and Metro doesn't have P & P, Fire Marshal, or the Capitol Police as far as advancement, whether vertical or lateral, no matter what you might think about those positions. Metro has a heck of a lot of different units and opportunities for advancement. So does the state.

If you personally think the local agencies are the way to go in Southern Nevada, knock yourself out. Others disagree with you. There's nothing wrong with that.

People come here to ask questions and find out information from current or former members. I am sure they don't appreciate having their choice questioned by someone who doesn't have any experience with either department. I respect peoples' desire to work for Metro. I sincerely hope they get what they want and are happy. I am not a DPS recruiter, just trying to pass out good information so people can make an informed decision. There are good and bad points for any department.
                              Last edited by BigTrooper; 08-16-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4595 users online. 270 members and 4325 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X