300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska Lateral Jobs

Hello I was raised in Nebraska and graduated from college at Wayne State.
    I've been an Active Duty U.S. Army Infantry Officer and I've been employed with the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office in Portland, Oregon for the last 10 years.I'm currently working on Transit Street Crimes Task Force in Portland. We work a 4-10 schedule and many of the Deputies in my Department make over 90,000 per year with OT. I've been searching and looking for jobs in Law Enforcement back in Nebraska for a few years. I've never gone back and tested and I'm trying to get several questions answered.

My first concern is I can't find any Departments that will reward me for my time and experience in Portland. I 've spoken with Omaha PD several times and been told they don't take Laterals. Can anyone explain this logic? I know several West Coast Officers from the Midwest that would love to return home, but nobody in the State of Nebraska seems to want Laterals. Can anyone advise me on Departments that might want Lateral Officers with big city experience? The pay cut is substantial, but I understand that cost of living isn't nearly as high. I've noticed that Grand Island is hiring and have a great work schedule. 7 on and 7 off? Is that really the work schedule? Does GI have a good department and do they stay busy? Can you live a decent life on their salary? Is OPD hiring in the near future? Does anyone have know if they ever plan on taking Lateral Officers? Thanks for the information.

Lincoln Police is looking for laterals and is taking names for up coming testing. I have a good friend who works there that I talk to three or four times a week and currently they have two people in their lateral program now and will be starting their FTO in a week or two. Their lateral program is set up so that they only have to go from two, to four weeks long. She told me they want to have another lateral class for January and that they would be happy if there were ten or more in the class.

Coming from out of state you may have to take the IN LIEU course the information is available for that on the Training Center web site. I'm not sure what states they will take expedience from, I have been told some times they are choosy. But there is a new administration at the academy now. As for Grand Island they have a good department and equipment. They stay really busy and have a large Mexican population and Mexican gang population. There are a few departments in the state that pay OK, but your not going to find one that will touch what your paying now. If you have specific questions about certain departments PM me. Being our academy has people from agencies all over the state I have people I went to training with who work for large and small agencies.

http://www.nletc.state.ne.us/reactivation.html
    Last edited by nebraska_deputy; 07-19-2008, 05:48 AM.
    Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
      Lincoln Police is looking for laterals and is taking names for up coming testing. I have a good friend who works there that I talk to three or four times a week and currently they have two people in their lateral program now and will be starting their FTO in a week or two. Their lateral program is set up so that they only have to go from two, to four weeks long. She told me they want to have another lateral class for January and that they would be happy if there were ten or more in the class.

http://www.nletc.state.ne.us/reactivation.html
      +1

Lincoln accepts laterals and is hiring currently. I believe they are the highest or second highest paying agency in the state currently. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/police/

and current payscale.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/person/city/lpu07.pdf

Comment

I would say welcome home if you come back. We only have two big cities as you know. My guess is in this business that there are enough beginners chomping at the bit to get LE jobs that the need to hire experienced outsiders is not a priority, when they have more bodies applying for jobs than they have jobs. Often in NE I see officers with second jobs on the side, so I doubt the pay is enough. Many cities in NE now due to meat packing industry speaking Spanish or Somali would be a benifit.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for the information. I thought that might be the case that Nebraska has so few of openings that they don't need Laterals. I already contacted Lincoln and I was told they only take in-state Laterals. They told me I could take some exam and avoid the Academy, but would be required to attend all their training and be considered as entry level.

Also any of you trying to get a job outside of Nebraska I would strongly suggest you look in Oregon and Washington. They hire Laterals on a continous basis. My department actually requires a 4 year college degree, but thats the only one with this type of standard in Oregon. If your a Lateral no academy is required and very little time with an FTO depending upon your skill level. I got lucky and was hired while I was on active duty in the Military, but really need to get home for family and elderly parent concerns.

Trust me there really is "No Place like Nebraska". Does anyone know if this 7 on 7 off work schedule is in place at Grand Island?

Comment

The last I heard it wasn't, but that may have changed since two years. They have gotten a new chief and he has made a lot of changes. The Chief use to be a the director of the training academy. Is there a specific area you want to live in? Or just in Nebraska in general?
            Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

It depends w/ Omaha. Sometimes they have lateral classes that they put you through in 8 weeks then they don't for a while. From what I understand the old chief was not big on them. The new interm chief is for it. Not 100% I tested two years ago and they were taking laterals at that time.

Comment

Here is the link to the GIPD listing.

Twelve hour patrol shifts (seven days on & seven days off per pay period, with every other Friday, Saturday & Sunday off, non-consecutive)

That's how they have their schedule listed on the NLETC site.

Comment

Starting in mid-August, GI will be going to 12 hour shifts that will go like this: ON ON OFF OFF ON ON ON OFF OFF ON ON OFF OFF OFF. We have great officers and great equipment, and stay pretty busy. Having some Spanish-speaking skills would be a big plus, as we have a large Hispanic population. Any questions, just PM me.
                  Be respectful and courteous to everyone you contact while on the street, but always have a plan to kill them if things go bad.

Comment

Might apply for security position. I know nothing of these guys business other than I took training classes from them in firearms.

http://www.signal88security.com/Employment.aspx

I first looked at OPPD website to see if they had any security positions open at the Nuclear Power Plant, they did not but had an electrician opening that if I was not so lazy I would do for $36/hr which is pretty good for this area.

Nebraska State Patrol hiring website is.
                    http://www.nsp.state.ne.us/FindFile.asp?news=1&ID=300

And some other openings http://www.nletc.state.ne.us/NLETC_C...obListing.aspx
                    Last edited by David Hineline; 07-30-2008, 01:23 AM.

Comment

You might want to look into often overlooked agencies. Airport Police tend to favor laterals, although the pay is soft, the workload is easy. Campus Police is another idea.

Another lateral option that many do not consider are the Railroad Police Departments. Great gig if you can get it. Nebraska is obviously a railroad state, so it might be worth looking into.

Good luck
                      -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

I thought Bellevue, NE did laterals a few years back? If anyone remembers?

Comment

Originally posted by celticpilot View Post
                          You might want to look into often overlooked agencies. Airport Police tend to favor laterals, although the pay is soft, the workload is easy. Campus Police is another idea.

Another lateral option that many do not consider are the Railroad Police Departments. Great gig if you can get it. Nebraska is obviously a railroad state, so it might be worth looking into.

Good luck
                          The RR police they are really tough to get onto. Last I heard for the one Nebraska spots they had over 200 people apply. But if you can get on they pay great.

Originally posted by boomer555 View Post
                          I thought Bellevue, NE did laterals a few years back? If anyone remembers?
                          Yeah, Bellevue did a while back with the old Chief. They are now a part of the Marrow and Associates testing. They tend to get a lot of people apply with them certified and non certified. They have a great department and good equipment. Their only real down side is they brag about how many people they loose during FTO. It's almost as if they look for reasons. I had one of their Sgt.'s tell me once in four years they hired 88 people and only kept about 20. Not sure if that's true or not about the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
                            The RR police they are really tough to get onto. Last I heard for the one Nebraska spots they had over 200 people apply. But if you can get on they pay great.
                            True. But then again, it would fit his needs perfectly, and his experience level is in line with what they are usually looking for. He mentioned Transit work, not sure if what he has done is rail related, but if it is he should have a step up on most applicants.

My understanding that if an Officer is really interested in a RR Police position, nowadays your best bet is to try to get HAZMAT/Emergency Response related training, as that kind of background is in high demand.

Good Luck.
                            Last edited by celticpilot; 08-09-2008, 08:35 AM.
                            -"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine

Comment

Thanks

Hey guys thanks for all the replies!!! After many hours and phone calls I'm convinced the great State of Nebraska has very little to offer for Lateral Officers. So many other places offering up the world for experience and Police Training. Many Officers in my Department make over 6 figures with O.T. I've also been checking into the Cost of Living and its only 4 percent cheaper to live in Omaha compared to Portland. That hardly justifies a 45 percent pay cut.

Also when I mentioned Transit Police I'm talking subway, above ground train, bus stops and all bus routes. So basically we cover a three county area for the entire transist system. Its all street crime, drug dealing, shootings, Robbery and vice. So no I have no clue about rail cars or any of that Union Pacific stuff. No desire for that matter, but thanks for the advice.

Money wise I need to stay put plus I have a great gig. For all you Nebraska Coppers keep up the good work and thank you for keeping all my relatives safe.

Portland has a great Cornhusker bar with about 300 people watching the Big Red every Saturday on Pay Per View. They even fly in Runza's for some home town food!!!

I'm back every Fall hunting Ringnecks with my two bird dogs so if anyone is up for some hunting let me know. I'd love to hook up and shoot some birds. My parents and all the land I hunt is near Fremont. Thanks Again!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4242 users online. 180 members and 4062 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X