300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probation

Are probation officers that work for the state authorized to make arrests and carry on-duty? Just curious, thanks

Originally posted by snappertrapper View Post
    Are probation officers that work for the state authorized to make arrests and carry on-duty? Just curious, thanks
    Snapper,

That depends on what department you work for. Some states allow it and some don't. When I worked as county probation from 2007 to 2012, we were authorized to carry and make arrests. However, we could only arrest on probation violations, not new criminal charges. We were provided a glock .22 or .23, OC spary, baton, radio, handcufss, etc. It sounds like you are interested in the field of probation or state corrections. Research the policies of the department for which you are applying to determine their firearm and arrest policies. I know first hand, the face of probation/corrections has changed drastically and is moving away from "law enforcement" type practices. It is geared more towards social work now. In short, hand holding. Let me know if you have any more questions about the field of probation.

Comment

Originally posted by snappertrapper View Post
      Snapper,

That depends on what department you work for. Some states allow it and some don't. When I worked as county probation from 2007 to 2012, we were authorized to carry and make arrests. However, we could only arrest on probation violations, not new criminal charges. We were provided a glock .22 or .23, OC spary, baton, radio, handcufss, etc. It sounds like you are interested in the field of probation or state corrections. Research the policies of the department for which you are applying to determine their firearm and arrest policies. I know first hand, the face of probation/corrections has changed drastically and is moving away from "law enforcement" type practices. It is geared more towards social work now. In short, hand holding. Let me know if you have any more questions about the field of probation.

Comment

Thank you for the info sir. I meant the state of Nebraska.

I just got on with a good-paying county probation office in PA but am very interested in moving to the mid-west in the future. The office I got on with doesn't serve their own warrants and isn't very LE oriented so i just wondered how Nebraska ran their probation I was looking at some probation job listings with them. Thanks again.

Comment

It always seem like Nebraska is posting for new Probation jobs. Do most counties have high turn over or something?

Comment

The state of Nebraska does not currently authorize probation officers to carry a firearm. In Omaha, the police union is quite vocal about trying to change this policy through the legislature but has not succeeded thus far. As a result, probation officers often work pretty closely with local PD while doing probation checks.

Comment

I interviewed for a Probation position in NE, does anyone know how long the process takes to hear back, if at all?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20011 users online. 556 members and 19455 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X