X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Class for OPD

Well at least one city councilman wants to do something:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110817/NEWS01/110819793
    "When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun. When the law break in, how you gonna go? Shot down on the pavement, or waiting in death row." - President Barack Obama

http://www.omaha.com/article/2011082...es-2012-budget

They passed the amendment to fund a class of fifteen recruits.

Comment

As for as a timeline goes this was on WOWT's website:

"If everything goes as planned, those officers would hit the streets by Summer 2013."

Still think it is funny how they try to classify it as "adding 15 officers." The last recruit class finished in June 2010 and the next one won't be until 3 years from that date!? If the general public was aware of what the actual numbers of officers on the street was they would be shocked.
      "When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come? With your hands on your head, or on the trigger of your gun. When the law break in, how you gonna go? Shot down on the pavement, or waiting in death row." - President Barack Obama

Comment

Has anyone heard any further news about OPD hiring anytime soon? I keep hearing rumors and grumblings that OPD will be hiring and that they're understaffed due to attrition, but whenever I call the city or go to their web site there is no new information.

I have been looking for openings in the metro area for over a year now and haven't seen anything open up that was reasonably close or wasn't a huge pay cut from where I am now. I would be open to moving if I didn't just buy a new home under the first time buyers credit and have a wife who just got a teaching job in the district that she has been shooting for.

Comment

From what I have heard any potential academy would not start until the end of 2012.

Comment

Got a call from OPD Backgrounds the other day telling me that a detective was going to contact me in a few weeks to begin things. Person calling thought things would be done around April, but was just estimating. Definitely out of the blue.

Comment

Good to hear things are moving for OPD... Question though--- Are they only using a past list of applicants from the last hiring announcement OR will they have a new job announcement for new applicants?

Comment

Originally posted by ne.fitness View Post
                Good to hear things are moving for OPD... Question though--- Are they only using a past list of applicants from the last hiring announcement OR will they have a new job announcement for new applicants?
                They are using the list that was issued on May of 2010.

Comment

Ch***, do you remember what # you were on the eligibility list? If I recall correctly i was in the 45-55 range.

Comment

This is good news! I scored around #40 on the list and have not heard anything yet, hebr0402. Anyone know if this is part of the 15 member recruit class that was approved in August?

Comment

I was in the top 5% from that list. The article that I posted earlier stated that the next academy would not be complete until the summer of 2013 so I have no idea (nor does anyone else that I have spoken with) about financing and numbers.

Comment

Well, all the background investigators got transferred back to the backgrounds unit, so obviously it's all being ramped back up.

Comment

So no word on whether or not they will open it up for new applications as well? I have taken the DCMA but none of the agencies on that list are really hiring right now either. I have been hearing rumors that they would be taking applications again in February but if they're going to use the previous list then I'm guessing that I am going to be out of luck this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by halliburton View Post
                            So no word on whether or not they will open it up for new applications as well? I have taken the DCMA but none of the agencies on that list are really hiring right now either. I have been hearing rumors that they would be taking applications again in February but if they're going to use the previous list then I'm guessing that I am going to be out of luck this time around.
                            Back when they started forming the list they are using now they had over 2,000 applicants take the written test. Granted only 500 could even make it to the eligibility list, I would imagine new apps will not be taken for quite awhile.
                            Last edited by Chazz; 11-04-2011, 12:41 AM.

Comment

OPD Class

I just heard the actual date for the Academy class is scheduled for May 2012. They have already filled 7 out of the 25 slots. The backgrounds unit are supposedly contacting the first 100 people on the old list until the class is filled...information changes on a weekly basis but that's the word as of now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17591 users online. 449 members and 17142 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X