300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPD Questions

I've grown up in Omaha and know that I want to pursue a career in LE but am unsure of what dept at this time. The 3 on my radar are Omaha, KC, and Denver police departments. I was going to ask about pay but see that the joinopd.com website has finally been updated in the past week as it was showing 2008 pay charts. I'm assuming one reaches Step A upon graduating from the Academy? Which specialty positions receive additional pay of 1.5% and 3%?

I understand that officers can work extra shifts or off duty employment but how much should one expect to earn from regular overtime? In other words, I understand OPD works an 8 hr shift but that an officer may work a few extra hours to complete paperwork, correct? I was told that OPD works 4 days followed by 2 days off, so that days off are always rotating. Has it always been that way?

How is the health care plan and is it reasonably priced? How many vacation days are allotted? What are the basics of the pension plan? Is a vest provided for free or do new officers need to pay for that in addition to their gun? Does the gear on the duty belt need to be organized in a certain way? I'm assuming so as I've seen a lot of officers with their spare pistol magazines on their strong side near the belt buckle in horizontal pouches with flaps, which I dislike. What holster is used? What guns are accepted for back up and off duty carry? Can officers purchase their own AR-15 to carry in their cruiser?

How is officer morale and do senior officers stand behind their officers? Would you say OPD is proactive as a police force? What opportunities outside of patrol are available? I've heard a little about a drug task force and fugitive task force which I'd like to learn more about and how competitive it is to be assigned there. How many years does an officer need to work patrol before other opportunities such as SWAT or K-9 become available? I'm sure I have some more questions but I realize I've asked a lot already. I look forward to learning more about OPD and whether or not this is a dept I can see myself having a career with. Feel free to answer here or PM as well if you would like.

Good questions, I have many of the same; I think i'll be driving down from MN to test, 6 hours ain't too bad. Also are officers/squads equipped fairly well? Cameras in cars, ar-15's/shottys, tasers? I have found many OPD hiring threads, but not much general info on the dept.

Comment

Ok I know there are OPD guys on here so can people jump in?

Comment

That's at least 15 questions there. I can answer a few.

Originally posted by lockNload24 View Post
        I'm assuming one reaches Step A upon graduating from the Academy?
        Yes, according to the new contract.

I understand that officers can work extra shifts or off duty employment but how much should one expect to earn from regular overtime? In other words, I understand OPD works an 8 hr shift but that an officer may work a few extra hours to complete paperwork, correct?
        There is no set amount to be earned from overtime. It all depends upon what happens during your shift and how busy it happens to be. If you happen to get a radio call just before call in that happens to be a long one (sexual assault, felony) then you can expect a couple of hours of overtime. You also need to factor in court time, which is currently 4 hours of straight time. You simply cannot predict how much overtime and court time you will get each month. You normally complete reports in the cruiser right after the call. And you need to complete those as fast as possible so you can be in service to take the next radio call. If you take too long to complete reports, you will fail the FTO phase. If you're in the Northeast or Southeast precincts where you're close to the assembly, you might be able to go back there and complete reports. In the Northwest or Southwest precincts where you're farther away, you will be doing the reports in the cruiser. On A shift (the graveyard shift) you will be going from call to call and will complete your reports when it slows down, usually around 0400 hrs. You may not work any off duty employment until after completing the first year of employment.

Is a vest provided for free or do new officers need to pay for that in addition to their gun?
        The vest is provided, and it must be adjusted to fit you specifically. Depending on your body type, it may take several adjustments. This will be done during the academy. I think they replace it every 5 years.

Does the gear on the duty belt need to be organized in a certain way? I'm assuming so as I've seen a lot of officers with their spare pistol magazines on their strong side near the belt buckle in horizontal pouches with flaps, which I dislike.
        The duty belt will be organized a certain way during the academy, after that, you may organize it according to your preference. You don't like the horizontal carry for the magazines? You'll find that it's more comfortable that way after sitting in the cruiser for hours. The vertical carry may be uncomfortable being in the sitting position. Besides, you WILL learn to draw your magazines from that position anyway during the academy.

What holster is used?
        A Safariland level II retention holster, designed to accomodate the Glock and Tac light. You may see veteran officers who are nearing retirement carrying 9mms. They were grandfathered in so they may continue carrying their older weapons. New officers will carry the Glock 21 or 22 of their choice, no exceptions.

What guns are accepted for back up and off duty carry?
        The only stipulation is that the weapon be able to carry 7 rounds.

Can officers purchase their own AR-15 to carry in their cruiser?
        Yes, after being in patrol for at least a year. It has to meet the criteria set forth in the SOPs. But you have to be certified, and they only hold those classes maybe once or twice a year. Get in line, good luck getting into one of those classes. The same thing goes for tasers. You have to provide 700 rounds of ammunition and the department provides the other 300 for the initial certification class, and that's expensive. Then for the annual recertification, you provide 300 rounds and they provide the other 300 rounds. Until then, you will have the shotgun in the cruiser.

How many years does an officer need to work patrol before other opportunities such as SWAT or K-9 become available?
        A minimum of 3 years working on the street in patrol before you can apply for any specialty position. If that's the way you want to go, then during that time you need to be putting together a resume of your accomplishments.
        Last edited by LM20; 01-10-2010, 01:07 AM.

Comment

That's useful information. Can you tell me anything about the Academy? This might sound weird, but are their hair (both top and facial) requirements? Are there any useful tips or anything one should know before entering the Academy?

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus91 View Post
            That's useful information. Can you tell me anything about the Academy? This might sound weird, but are their hair (both top and facial) requirements? Are there any useful tips or anything one should know before entering the Academy?
            Grooming standards are set forth in the SOP. Just look at any officer. Here's a tip for you: Get in shape! Also, you will be put in stressful situations just like you would on the street, and if you can't handle people yelling at you, like they would on the street, don't bother applying. You need to be tough mentally and physically to make it through, your life may depend upon it later on. It's 22 weeks compared to the state academy, which is 14 weeks, so it's 2 months longer. That's a lot more training.

It's similar military Basic Training, but much longer, and much tougher than the NCO Academy. If you're not 100% dedicated to finishing it, then I suggest you look somewhere else because you're taking up a slot that could go to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by neo9473 View Post
              Good questions, I have many of the same; I think i'll be driving down from MN to test, 6 hours ain't too bad. Also are officers/squads equipped fairly well? Cameras in cars, ar-15's/shottys, tasers? I have found many OPD hiring threads, but not much general info on the dept.
              Since LM20 took the brunt of the questions, I'll answer these.

Not to be negative in any way but for the cruisers that are up and running, a majority of them have MDT's (Mobile Data Terminals) as well as cameras/transmitters. That’s not to say that they all work though. We have had a difficult time keeping the newer cruisers in service due to accidents.

As far as the officers being equipped, you will add on to what you are issued, i.e. additional cuff case, patrol bag, form holder for blank reports, the list goes on.

Good luck to those of you starting the academy on Monday.

LM20, what crew are you working?

2006 Officer.com Party Bus Fantasy Football CHAMPION

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11399 users online. 238 members and 11161 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X