300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearm for OPD

Late last week I received my conditional offer. I just received my schedule of med and psych tests I have to go to. Something I am looking into is buying a firearm to use and I have never used a handgun. Does OPD allow you to purchase a gun meeting their requirements (anyone have the official requirements? Glock 22 is all I have heard) before the academy and bring it in, or do you have to order with the class? Also, would anyone suggest for or against trying to get familiar with a handgun before the academy?

Thanks!

OPD approved guns are 21 & 21C (.45cal) 22 & 22C (.40)
    you can buy your own, but probably get it cheaper buying it in the academy as a class with Dept. pricing.

If you do buy your own - You need a tac light also

I got a 21 in the academy. It was around $540. Tac light was $100.

Good luck

Comment

As a shooter I usually recommend all the practice one can get, but in this short time I do not think you could learn anything useful enough other than to learn something that the instructors don't want you to know. I would say wait till they tell you what gun to get and how they want you to use it. After the academy there will be time to become useful with a handgun.

Comment

As Hineline suggested, getting started now will most likely give you bad habits that are only going to be hindrances when you try to get rid of them in the near future. ***If you had been shooting your whole life then I'd say go punch some paper and bang some steel, but given the short amount of time you have to work with it would probably be best to let instructors mold you into what they need you to be instead of screwing yourself up and tossing yourself into a kiln to solidify the imperfections.***

Just my$.02.

(and can you believe that LONG RUN-ON sentence?? Jeez... I caught it, but it was too beautiful of a monstrosity to correct.)
        "To know that you know what you know and that you do not know what you do not know; that is true knowledge." - Unknown

Comment

Once you finish the official school I would recommend any training you can afford from these men.

http://signal88.com/training/

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

I definately wouldn't just go down to the bullethole and fire away. I work with a gentleman right now that is a firearms instructor and he offered to help me out. I also was offered to go out with a Sarpy County Sheriff and get pointers from him. I'm not necessarily looking to be fluent in firearms, but more or less gain a comfort level before the academy.

I do understand what you are saying...its easier to teach then to correct bad habbits. Also from what I hear, instructors almost prefer no experience. So I have been leaning towards going to green and just let them teach me, but as I said before, I would prefer to have a comfort level before hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFox View Post
              Late last week I received my conditional offer. I just received my schedule of med and psych tests I have to go to. Something I am looking into is buying a firearm to use and I have never used a handgun. Does OPD allow you to purchase a gun meeting their requirements (anyone have the official requirements? Glock 22 is all I have heard) before the academy and bring it in, or do you have to order with the class? Also, would anyone suggest for or against trying to get familiar with a handgun before the academy?

Thanks!
              The firearms to choose from are the Glock 22 (.40 cal), Glock 22C (Compensated), Glock 21 (.45 cal), Glock 21SF, and Glock 21C (Compensated). Prices vary, depending on the model. Payment is due the first week, as the class will order as a group. The Glocks will be ordered with the required Trijicon night sights. If you have your own Glock, you will need to bring it, but leave it in your vehicle until told to bring it in. It will be inspected to see if it meets the criteria. The reason that the Glocks are ordered during the first week is that it takes time to process the order, and it will take time for the firearms to come in.

You will be required to purchase the TLR-1 Taclight, but payment won't be due until the Glocks come in. And that is only if you survive the academy that long.

I recommend going to a shooting range for a single day only (not long enough to pick up bad habits), and shoot the Glock 22 and the Glock 21 so that you can get a feel for how it shoots and how it fits your hand. The .40 cal does have more of a snap to it than the .45 cal. And yes it's true that they like those without prior experience with firearms, because you haven't had the chance to learn bad habits yet, and can learn to shoot according to their training methods.

IF you make it that far, rest assured that you will be shooting A LOT. The Glock will be well broken in before graduation. Just keep in mind that you haven't yet passed the medical and psychological screening.
              Last edited by LM20; 11-20-2009, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LM20 View Post
                The Glocks will be ordered with the required Trijicon night sights.
                Just to be clear here, are the Trijicon night sights required for all duty weapons, or is that the only option available when ordering it through OPD?

Comment

Night sights are required. Choice of Glock brand night sights or the Trijicon.
                  Most save themselves $20 and go with the Glock brand.

Comment

IF you make it that far, rest assured that you will be shooting A LOT. The Glock will be well broken in before graduation. Just keep in mind that you haven't yet passed the medical and psychological screening.
                    I understand that I am no where near finished through the process, but I would rather be preparred in the event that I do. I took the psych Friday. Although they were easy tests (IMO), they were definately long and tedious. I have my hearing tomorrow, then several on Tuesday. Crossing my fingers that all goes well.

Thanks for the information guys! I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by PD81 View Post
                      Night sights are required. Choice of Glock brand night sights or the Trijicon.
                      Most save themselves $20 and go with the Glock brand.
                      Thanks. That works well for me since I have a Glock with the factory night sights and didn't want to spend the money to replace them with another brand.

Originally posted by ShadowFox View Post
                      I understand that I am no where near finished through the process, but I would rather be preparred in the event that I do. I took the psych Friday. Although they were easy tests (IMO), they were definately long and tedious. I have my hearing tomorrow, then several on Tuesday. Crossing my fingers that all goes well.

Thanks for the information guys! I really appreciate it!
                      Congrats on making it this far. How long have you been in the process?

Comment

Originally posted by Code311 View Post
                        Congrats on making it this far. How long have you been in the process?
                        Put in my application in January. Definately a long process, but its worth it

Comment

Kudos

Thanks for the info on the firearm. That's something I've been curious about. But, mostly I should just mention that I appreciate the professionalism of the OPD background team. My background investigator has called me no fewer than 10 times, and even though I was given a conditional offer of employment about two months ago, I have received phone calls just to keep me informed that all my screening has come back and when to expect the next class to start. I have experienced the hiring processes of other agencies, and the fact that OPD has shown such a personal interest in its candidates makes it easy to believe that this department is a good choice.

Comment

Originally posted by herbie1110 View Post
                            Thanks for the info on the firearm. That's something I've been curious about. But, mostly I should just mention that I appreciate the professionalism of the OPD background team. My background investigator has called me no fewer than 10 times, and even though I was given a conditional offer of employment about two months ago, I have received phone calls just to keep me informed that all my screening has come back and when to expect the next class to start. I have experienced the hiring processes of other agencies, and the fact that OPD has shown such a personal interest in its candidates makes it easy to believe that this department is a good choice.
                            10 times?
                            Last edited by LM20; 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM.

Comment

10 times?
                              Yeah, that's an accurate figure.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20367 users online. 557 members and 19810 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X