Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rugermk2
    replied
    Does anyone know if MHP is all up to strength now and retaining their officers better with the new pay raise? Any word on when they'll start taking applications from prior-certifieds again? The answer I got via e-mail was early 2008, but then again the Montana FWP also told me they weren't going to open up for game wardens again till late this year and lo and behond a few days later they started taking apps again!

Leave a comment:

• rugermk2
    replied
    10-4. Must have been a new Impala then.

Leave a comment:

• Darkwulfe
    replied
    They drive everything. It's a crap shoot what you get when you first start. But it will more then likely be a used Impala, Crown Vic, or even Intrepid. I have never seen them give a brand new guy a charger. But many of the older guys have them. I really have no clue how they pick what they purchase when. But it seems to change constantly.

On another note the new Impalas kind of look like malibu's. But I have never seen a Malibu patrol car in this state.

Leave a comment:

• rugermk2
    replied
    Vehicles?

So what is MHP driving these days? Any chance they'll go to Chargers? It seems like I've seen one pic of an MHP Charger online, but that was possibly just one to test. I've seen the standard Crown Vics and Impalas, but it seemed like last summer when I was up there I saw another type of car in Roundup. My memory is foggy now, but something like a Malibu? Does that sound right?

Leave a comment:

• Napstr
    replied
    That's correct...........medical depends on the agency.

Leave a comment:

• rugermk2
    replied
    Wow! Thanks for the good links. I'm not an expert on retirements, but that looks like a pretty straight-forward and user-friendly system. Summarized: vested at 5, eligible at 20, either defined benefit or contribution (your choice), 50% of annual salary (figured by average of highest 36 consecutive months) at 20 years, employee contributes 9%, employer contributes 14%, and the state contributes 29%.

Is that a correct characterization?

Now, what about medical insurance?

Leave a comment:

• Napstr
    replied
    Try these links........this will help explain without me getting sore fingers

http://doa.mt.gov/perb/

http://mpera.mt.gov/mpors.asp

Leave a comment:

• rugermk2
    replied
    Retirement and Medical Insurance

Well, I think I'll take advantage of the activity on this thread and ask a couple questions of those "in the know."

Reference: http://www.doj.mt.gov/enforcement/hi...rybenefits.asp

Retirement --
    When it says "full retirement benefits" after 20 years, does that mean 100% of former salary? or something like the standard 50% at 20 like many other states?

Medical Insurance/Family Coverage --
    My department pays alot, but also requires you to pay about $300-$400/month if you want your family covered under your plan as well. That cuts about $5K off the top per year. What is MHP's plan? Is it expensive to get your family covered?

These two issues factor alot into my decision to apply with an agency.

Leave a comment:

• Napstr
    replied
    Dont get me wrong

Dont get me wrong.........MHP is a good organization. The problem is........when you pay one agency say 18-22 bucks an hour when they are attending the Academy and the Highway Patrol is paying $11 something an hour..........what kind of message are you sending.

All departments are paying for the room/board and food, so that's not even a factor. As long as MHP does this, which is clearly a money saving way of doing business and being CHEAP, they will continue to have a difficult time recruiting.
    Last edited by Napstr; 07-10-2007, 02:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rugermk2
    replied
    $11.25/hour while in the academy -- see below

http://www.doj.mt.gov/enforcement/hi...rybenefits.asp

Leave a comment:

• Darkwulfe
    replied
    Not long ago, around the year 2000, they were paid $7 an hour while attending the academy. I think they sold it to new recruits by telling them they were getting free room and board on top of the wage. I thought they had since changed this and you are paid your normal wage during training. But I could be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• biggreen
    replied
    Originally posted by Napstr View Post
    Don't forget to ask about their training wages while at the Academy. Last I heard is they want to pay you $11. something an hour instead of your probationary rate. Rediculous.
    Don't know, but I will ask and get back to you.

Leave a comment:

• Napstr
    replied
    Mhp

Don't forget to ask about their training wages while at the Academy. Last I heard is they want to pay you $11. something an hour instead of your probationary rate. Rediculous.

Leave a comment:

• biggreen
    replied
    If you need more specifics, PM me. My buddy is MHP here in town. He's also an instructor at the academy in Helena.

Leave a comment:

• Darkwulfe
    replied
    I asked about the shifts and it sounds like they work 4 10s now. I am not sure if that is department wide though. And it sounds like they still switch back and forth between nights and days. Some times as often as every week.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6356 users online. 326 members and 6030 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X