300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missoula PD?

Just wondering if anyone out there is employed by Missoula PD, and what they think of the department and the area? I'd eventually like to move west, and Missoula seems like a great town, but nothing beats talking to the locals.

Since it appears that hardly anyone responds from Montana, I will give you what experience I had as a visitor. First of all, Missoula and it's surroundings are beautiful. It is kind of tucked away in a valley and really by itself for the mostpart. I only stayed for about a day, but drove everywhere including the P.D., but could not talk to anyone. The agency appears to be very squared away, but from what I sense likes to set itself apart from other's in the state, i.e. hiring and such.

Missoula is a big college town, so like all college towns it will have the issues connected with it. It is trendy and prides itself on a educated workforce and is probably the most technologically advanced, although not the biggest, population wise, in the state. Pay has moved up, but I don't know if that equates with being affordable when it comes to realestate. Missoula is fairly expensive, as is most of Montana with the exception of what is called the "high-line". Not a whole lot up there! Check out the Missoulian (paper) online and you can get a feel for crime and the general goings on.

I would recommend checking out Bozeman also. I had a blast in that city, which is a college town also, but has alot of adults in their 30's and 40's. Bozeman is a city that you really have to visit to understand. It is steeped in the "Western" culture and really has that "wow" effect on a person. I experienced some friendliest people I have ever met, next to Idaho. I know that Bozeman and Gallatin county hire quite often, but as for the culture and morale, I am clueless.

I hope this helps you a little...........

Comment

I'm not from Missoula, but I lived and worked nearby and have driven through Missoula numerous times. I don't know anything about the P.D.

The area is beautiful and the people are friendly. You'll need to own a 4 wheel-drive vehicle because it snows ALOT in the winter, the roads will suck for quite awhile, and you'll only understand true warmth if you have a wood stove. If you enjoy outdoor activities, Missoula is a great place to be. There are several ski resorts nearby and plenty of room for hiking/fishing/hunting/camping in any of the National Forests which pretty much surround the city.

Missoula is a great place to live. You will not regret a move to Montana.
      He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
      -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
      -- Hemingway

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. Currently I work in Washington DC and, although the job is great, the area is not. The traffic is terrible and there isn't much for the outdoor enthusiast. I'm trying to research in advance areas that look like good places to live, so I really appreciate the info. Thanks again.
        Last edited by MPDC06; 05-06-2007, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I've lived near and attended school in DC a couple years ago. I HATED it I had a two-hour one-way commute and it seems like people weren't as friendly over there. Maybe I shouldn't have worn my Bush '04 T-shirt proudly on the Metro the day after Bush won re-election.... That could have been part of the problem....

Move to Montana, you won't be disappointed.
          He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
          -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
          -- Hemingway

Comment

I am currently stationed in Great Falls, MT and I travel to Missoula quite frequently. I have been here for 3 years now and Missoula is the place to be. Like 2297 mentioned, it is technologically advanced for its area and the people are very friendly there as well. A lot of Montana is like that except for Great Falls due to the number of military in the area. The locals there do not care too much for outsiders. Missoula is a very BIG party town as well. Bozeman gets a lot of attention to party-goers as well. Honestly, you cant really go wrong with Missoula except for the fact that if there is somethin you need and it is not located there, then you will more than likely have to travel to another state to get it. Its very secluded... I would be more than happy to get in depth with Montana if you would like???
            Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

Comment

Moorejam-

Definitely interested in knowing more about Montana. Most of my research about western states has been online so far. I'm trying to narrow down the areas I might like before going there and looking around. If I had endless vacation time I'd just take a road trip...but that's not looking good. Anyway, wanted to go someplace that wasn't too big city, but not so small that the only place around was the local feed store/grocery/barber/hospital. Also wanted someplace close to the mountains. I was trying to find out what Missoula PD was like as I understand they hire twice a year and the salary, while less than I make now, isn't bad compared to the rest of the state. Do you know if they actually hire applicants, or if it's like a lot of other small towns where you pretty much have to know someone to get a job? What are some other areas of Montana worth looking at?

Comment

They do hire applicants. It is not a small town like you had mentioned but it is fairly large and on the edge of the Rockies. Some of the other areas that you might want to take a look at would be Bozeman, Billings, Butte, or Helena. Helena and Butte are more "government" towns but Bozeman, Billings, and Missoula are not insanely large but still have a little bit of a party atmosphere. Do not look into Great Falls! Im not saying that they are a bad department nor am I saying this because I know some people that were involved but I'll just say that they do not have their priorities straight. You also do not want to get sucked into the Highway Partrol Office because if you are new with the office then you will definitely get stuck in BFE. Let me tell ya, you will really get to experience Montana then!!! lol Anyways, yeah, you might want to look into those departments because they seem to be the better ones in the state. I hope that this will be able to help you in your search. If you have anymore questions then please feel free to ask or if you need any info I might just be able to get it for you....
                Mama said these was my magic shoes. Mama said they'd take me anywhere.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3718 users online. 193 members and 3525 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X