Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cblackthorne
    replied
    When I started as a deputy back in 1992, it was the 120. When I started with JCPD, it was bumped up to 470, so I had to go to the academy again.

The 470 was a definate improvement, in my opinion.

However, if an officer has 470 or 600, but has been on the street for 5 years and has taken POST certified training hours all that time, I think they have earned the right to go into an FTO program rather than start at the bottom again.

Its just my opinion, but a majority of the larger academies focus too much on making it a boot camp rather than on professional training and education. For a new officer with no experience, that training process works just fine, but for an experienced officer your not helping them become better, your just delaying putting an effective officer on the street.

Regards,
    C

Leave a comment:

• NBW791
    replied
    Originally posted by ray8285 View Post
    It was a joke. I am surprised there weren't more lawsuits due to the serious lack of training.
    Very true. Kansas still only requires 360 hrs I believe for FULL TIME certification. The part time academy is 2 weeks in Hutchinson (no PT, so it's all classroom and hands on stuff - no running or anything). I've talked to a couple guys who have gone through though, and they said it's long days. They condense the 12 week academy into 2 weeks basically so you still get decent training.

You can also work for one YEAR without having been through the academy. I worked for 10 weeks on the road with my FTO at the city PD before I went to the academy. A buddy of mine worked alone quite a while before he went to the part time academy, then went back through the full time one once he transitioned to full time status.

Scary stuff.......cops on the road with little to no training.

Leave a comment:

• ray8285
    replied
    Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
    Actually, I thought there was. I've heard of guys working in central Missouri then moving to Jackson County and having to add some hours.

Remember the old "bailiff academy" of 120 hours? I know Independence cops who went through that academy back in the early 90's, then after the 600 hour requirement took hold they went through some more stuff to get their needed hours, but not the full academy.
    Depending on years of service, college education and other things you can test up to the 600hr class A. I am one of the 120hr academy guys (Jeff City no less). It was a joke. I am surprised there weren't more lawsuits due to the serious lack of training.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
    For clarification, it might be best to refer to KCPD's policy on lateral transfers:

http://www.kcpd.org/masterindex/file.../200/236-1.pdf

Clearly states....
    I see that the academies we went to are on there.......

And if anyone thinks that the Administration Bureau Commander is going to approve any other places is sorely mistaken.......

Leave a comment:

• NBW791
    replied
    For clarification, it might be best to refer to KCPD's policy on lateral transfers:

http://www.kcpd.org/masterindex/file.../200/236-1.pdf

Clearly states....

Applicants must have graduated from the Kansas City, Missouri Police
    Department Regional Police Academy; St. Louis, Missouri Regional Police
    Academy; Missouri State Highway Patrol Academy; or any other police
    academy approved by the Administration Bureau Commander.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by MO Trooper View Post
    (I assume there is no mechanism in place to upgrade from a Class B to a Class A by making up the difference in the training hours)
    Western Missouri (Independence) Community College has a add on program.....it knocks a 470 up to 600 hours.....which makes you Class A Certified.

I doubt KCPD would take it.....as that would be 400 hours shy of what there academy is.....

One would probably have to go to a 800 hour academy like Independce or St. Joe to even be looked at......if they ever decided to start taking other academies besides the 3-4 they take now.....

Leave a comment:

• NBW791
    replied
    Originally posted by MO Trooper View Post
    I assume there is no mechanism in place to upgrade from a Class B to a Class A by making up the difference in the training hours
    Actually, I thought there was. I've heard of guys working in central Missouri then moving to Jackson County and having to add some hours.

Remember the old "bailiff academy" of 120 hours? I know Independence cops who went through that academy back in the early 90's, then after the 600 hour requirement took hold they went through some more stuff to get their needed hours, but not the full academy.

Leave a comment:

• MO Trooper
    replied
    Since POST requires a Class A certification to work any of the counties in KC, there are only a few areas people could lateral from without being required by POST to go through the academy. (I assume there is no mechanism in place to upgrade from a Class B to a Class A by making up the difference in the training hours)

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by cblackthorne View Post
    Since KCPD is always saying they are short of officers, perhaps its time they rethink their lateral transfer guidelines.
    They have talked about it.....but who knows what they will do.....

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by mz248
    Isn't KCPD's pay pretty low for the area.
    Academy Pay
    Monthly $2819.00 / Hourly $16.26
    Salary During 24 week Academy

Probationary Officer
    Monthly $3100.00 / Hourly $17.89
    Salary during 6 month probationary period

Police Officer
    Annual $39,072.00
    Monthly $3,256.00
    BiWeekly $1,502.76
    Hourly $18.78

That's the best around on the MO side of the house.... Johnson County, Overland Park, Olathe, and the rest of the Kansas side 'burbs pay a little better than that. KC allows you (once off probation) to work part-time gigs in uniform....at 30 bucks an hour....

http://www.kcpd.org/kcpd2004/salaryand%20benefits.htm

Originally posted by mz248
    Officers from those departments you mentioned would probably have to take a pay cut to go to KC. I'm from KC and have been to all of the above cities and they are all pretty nice places from what I remember. I know I sure as heck wouldn't leave Columbia to go to KC unless I was young and really wanted to work for a big city department.
    Columbia MO PD starts at

Annual $33,403.00 $46,947.60

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/Police/About_Us/employ.php

Columbia is busy.....but not KC busy. They average a few murders a year and stay busy with MU there. I know the Chief and would work for him.....Great guy..... And they did lose a Very Special Officer two years ago......

So, just depends on what one wanted to do.....as I would stick with KCPD as they have a lot more areas to specialize in....are busier....and it's my home........but that's just me....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-15-2007, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cblackthorne
    replied
    Since KCPD is always saying they are short of officers, perhaps its time they rethink their lateral transfer guidelines.

Any officer from a middle sized town such as Columbia, Jefferson City, Springfield, etc. could do very well at KCPD. Granted they should still go through the FTO program, but to force an officer with 5+ years of street experience to go through the trouble of another academy doesent make alot of sense to me.

Regards,
    C

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by midwest5-0 View Post
    They also accept St. Louis City P.D.
    Yeah....they do. I fixed that....

Leave a comment:

• midwest5-0
    replied
    They also accept St. Louis City P.D.

Leave a comment:

• Bearcat357
    replied
    Originally posted by MidCareer View Post
    So, anyone here know if KCPD accepts lateral transfers?
    They do....but only from Missouri State Highway Patrol and St. Louis County/City.....

All others must go through the entire process and academy........
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 06-15-2007, 02:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MidCareer
    started a topic Kcpd

Kcpd

So, anyone here know if KCPD accepts lateral transfers?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3434 users online. 187 members and 3247 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X