300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ka-bar

I had recently recieved a KA-Bar combat knife for my birthday and will be traveling with it to Kansas city. I was wondering if it should stay in my glove box or be in plain sight. I really have no idea what the rules are about having the knife with me.

CCW laws have been crazy since the passage of right to carry, but there is nothing illegal about owning a knife. Just keep it in plain sight (not "carring a concealed weapon") and let the officer know you have it if you get pulled over. Putting it in the glove box is "within reach", which constitutes the "carrying" part of a concealed weapon. Another way to be safe is by stating "hi, officer, there is a knife in my glove box" which makes it no longer concealed" since you told him/her it is in there.

I don't know about other jurisdictions, but with the KCPD (that's me), that is how it works. Our city/county is more particular about CCW's than other city/county's, because we have so very,very many. Put it in your trunk if you don't want it out in the open.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the advice. I feel alot better about carrying the knife now. I will be attending the law enforcement academy in Springfield Missouri this Fall and didn't need anything like that on my record.

Comment

One small thing...even if you tell the officer where the weapon is, it is still "concealed", but they will feel better knowing where it is.
        Last edited by ray8285; 05-29-2007, 03:12 PM. Reason: misspelling
        A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Ray8285 is right, however in KC, the city judges won't take it if a person verbally tells an officer where it is. And, the county won't take CCW's...too many murder/robbery/rape/drug cases. Every jurisdiction is slightly different, depending on detective case loads, prosecutor case loads, etc.

Good luck in the academy.

Comment

Unless you are well practiced with the knife by the time you get to your glove box, get it out, get it out of the sheath, figure out how you will stab someone they will probably take it away from you and use it on you. And above all remember the old saying " dont bring a knife to a gun fight!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by ray8285 View Post
              One small thing...even if you tell the officer where the weapon is, it is still "concealed", but they will feel better knowing where it is.
              Totally Agree
              John 3:16

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4457 users online. 223 members and 4234 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X