300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POST Certification

I'm trying to get MO post certification, right now I'm an active duty Army MP and a resident in MO. I talked to the Cape Girardeau police dept. because I was going to put in my application there when I was thinking about getting out of the Army. I've decided to stay in now because it would be kinda dumb to get out when I can retire in 9 years after my current contract is up. Anyway, the reason I'm trying to get POST certified is because it will help after I retire from the military, because I'm going to go into law enforcement afterwards and with a lot of departements you have to be POST certified, with the exception of the larger cities and the MHSP. Either way, I think it would help, any suggestions? BTW, I will be on leave from approx. Sept. 10 - OCT 10 of 2007. The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I would be available for training at those times as well as any types of ride alongs in the area of Morley or Sturdivant MO at those times. Thanks for any input.

Originally posted by tspinaker
    I'm trying to get MO post certification, right now I'm an active duty Army MP and a resident in MO. I talked to the Cape Girardeau police dept. because I was going to put in my application there when I was thinking about getting out of the Army. I've decided to stay in now because it would be kinda dumb to get out when I can retire in 9 years after my current contract is up. Anyway, the reason I'm trying to get POST certified is because it will help after I retire from the military, because I'm going to go into law enforcement afterwards and with a lot of departements you have to be POST certified, with the exception of the larger cities and the MHSP. Either way, I think it would help, any suggestions? BTW, I will be on leave from approx. Sept. 10 - OCT 10 of 2007. The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I would be available for training at those times as well as any types of ride alongs in the area of Morley or Sturdivant MO at those times. Thanks for any input.
    Don't get your POST stuff now. I would be a waste of time and money.

Accourding to Missouri Statute, once you are POST Certified, you have to be gainfully employed by a agency within 3 years or you lose it.

If I don't go back to MO and get on with an agency within 2 years (I have been in NVA for a year) I will lose mine and have to go through some sort of classes to regain it....

One of my classmates just lost his because after he worked for an agency for a couple of years, he jumped ship and went to the Feds....and hasn't been been employed by one since then.....and his 3 years just came up.

Your best bet would be to wait till you get out of the military, look for a job with an agency that will pay for your academy or go through an self-pay academy and have your GI Bill cover it. That's what I did.

Plus....I am pretty that Misosuri won't take any of your Military LE training....even if you go through CID class.

Only states that I know that take Military LE stuff are Texas and Florida. You have to go through a class in both states to learn statuates, pass a POST test, and then you are POST Certified (or whatever they call it in each of those states).

Good luck....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 04-10-2007, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Hey, thanks Bearcat, I was just trying to call them yesterday and couldn't get ahold of anyone. I'll just wait until I'm out of the Army. By the time this enlistment is up I'll have 11 years in, so may as well stay 20 and retire. After that I was thinking about going MSHP, but I know they're pretty paramilitary so I may not want to deal with that after 20 years of Army, but I'll definately go somewhere to be a LEO.

Comment

Originally posted by tspinaker
        Hey, thanks Bearcat, I was just trying to call them yesterday and couldn't get ahold of anyone. I'll just wait until I'm out of the Army. By the time this enlistment is up I'll have 11 years in, so may as well stay 20 and retire. After that I was thinking about going MSHP, but I know they're pretty paramilitary so I may not want to deal with that after 20 years of Army, but I'll definately go somewhere to be a LEO.
        No problem.....

The POST Office is very understaffed.....and when you do contact them.....be prepared to deal with some surely ladies.....

MSHP is very paramilitary........from Day 1 till you graduate 24 weeks later. MSHP has just changed things around to get more folks interested in them. For the first time in their history, they are letting folks make three choices as to where they want to go and are going to try to accomidate one of those choices. In the past you would go to the needs of the Patrol and they would never send you back to where you from.....

KCPD and STL County would be good places to go...good pay, lots of stuff going on, decent equipment, tons of stuff to do within the departments, and they will pay for your academy....plus you can draw your GI Bill as extra money.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357
          MSHP is very paramilitary........from Day 1 till you graduate 24 weeks later.
          Day 1 until you RETIRE. A coworker of mine has friends and family at MOSHP. He said they have to salute theire SGT's and LT's in general passing. Like if they're walking in the office and pass their LT, they have to salute.

Squared away agency though. I would recommend the Highway Patrol or the Water Patrol if you're wanting to work in Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by NBW791
            Day 1 until you RETIRE. A coworker of mine has friends and family at MOSHP. He said they have to salute theire SGT's and LT's in general passing. Like if they're walking in the office and pass their LT, they have to salute.

Squared away agency though. I would recommend the Highway Patrol or the Water Patrol if you're wanting to work in Missouri.
            Yes they do have to salute Superiors but I never saw it out in the field. It was done around Troop HQ or GH HQ.......

Your agency is pretty squared away as well......and would be something to look at if one was looking for a State Agency......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4671 users online. 280 members and 4391 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X