Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on the POST reciprocity. I drove up to Jefferson City and took the exam. Once I took it they scored it immediately and handed me the certification on the spot so that was a very nice surprise. So now I'm officialy certified in MO.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertRat
      Update on the POST reciprocity. I drove up to Jefferson City and took the exam. Once I took it they scored it immediately and handed me the certification on the spot so that was a very nice surprise. So now I'm officialy certified in MO.
      Congrats.....

Comment

Sweet, congrats. I HOPE they will take my experience, almsot 10 years into account, even though none of it was sworn. But I will be POST certified, to the min. training requirement in CA, so that may help. But I doubt it.

I didnt know that something like that would be so fast, again congrats!

Comment

I may try to get on with the Highway Patrol now. I am moving to Lampe and the closest towns in any direction are 35 minutes, and one is in Berryville Ark.

Does the Highway Patrol send you anywhere you are needed or do they keep you near your home? Moving will NOT be an option so I do not want to apply anywhere if I can be sent anywhere in the state.

I am going to check out Branson West, Kimberling, Stone and Berry County, and then Berryville Ark, and Carrol County Ark.

I will no longer have my POST class, mess up on my part, I did not see a class on a Saturday, and ended up missing it when I had to make a move to MO. I setup the move so it would be between the classes, but did not see the one on Sat. You are only allowed to miss like 5% which is like half a class.

I guess I will try to get on with a department that will send me through an academy.

Comment

Originally posted by PTR-Jason
            Does the Highway Patrol send you anywhere you are needed or do they keep you near your home? Moving will NOT be an option so I do not want to apply anywhere if I can be sent anywhere in the state.
            This just came out. MSHP is now letting recruits pick where they want to be stationed at and they will try to get them there as best they can. Use to be you were sent to the needs of the Patrol and never where you came from.....

Also....at anytime you can get sent to anywhere in the State.....based on the Patrol needs.....

Plus, if you want to get promoted, you have to move as well.

I would get with MO Trooper and play 20 questions with him.......

Patrol Announces Change To Assigning New Troopers
            NEWS RELEASE

For further information please contact: Capt. J. Tim Hull
            (573) 526-6115
            Q3072
            March 2, 2007
            EMPHASIS: Patrol Announces Change To Assigning New Troopers

Colonel James F. Keathley, superintendent of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, is pleased to announce the following change to assigning new troopers:

Beginning with the 87th Recruit Class, the Missouri State Highway Patrol will offer trooper applicants the option of selecting the location of their first (road) assignment. New Patrol recruits who are successful in the selection process, and finish the required Academy training, will be able to work and live in an area of their choice. These preferred assignments will be offered on a trial basis throughout the state.

Until this recruit class, in its nearly 76 years of existence, the Missouri State Highway Patrol has required new officers to agree to relocate anywhere in the state of Missouri upon graduation from the Academy. The new program is designed to recruit individuals who may have chosen not to apply to the Missouri State Highway Patrol because of the need to relocate, many times requiring a spouse to find new employment and children to change schools.

Colonel James F. Keathley initiated the change to provide more flexibility to people who are otherwise motivated to join one of the best law enforcement agencies in the nation.

http://notes.mshp.dps.mo.gov/si01/si...ight=0,recruit

Comment

When I was in the service we had the same thing. We called it a DREAM SHEET. There was a reason for that, you would only get your preferred assingnment in your dreams. The only way a new ticket writer will get to go where they want is if there is a current opening. Most of the larger metropolitan areas (where the fun is) are fully staffed.
              A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

I might be wrong but, I do not think it is like a dream sheet. I was talking to a Friend of mine, a sarg at the academy, the other day about this. He stated that all new hires will be able to pick which troop they are going to work in. But, if that troop is full they get to pick another. All will know where they are going to work before they go to the academy. Also, The larger areas ie troop A, C, and D are the ones that almost all new guys go to right now. I might be wrong but If you look at the last few academy grads and where they went, the majority go to A and c.. or KC and STL. These areas are where they need guys the most I would think...

I know you are just joking in calling the Ticket writers but these guys go through one of the harshest and best academies in the nation
                Hired !!!!!

Comment

Yes, I am joking. I get along very well with all of our troopers, they are great guys. We see few rookies in Clay. Jackson which is the HQ around here may have more of them. For several years the MSHP has been running short on troopers. I know some of the guys from here went on to federal work.

Dream sheet is the same thing. You have a first choice, second choice and third choice. If the first is unavailable you get the second, if the second is unavailable you get the third.

If I was going MSHP I would want a more rural zone. Those troopers spend as much time on traffic as they do on criminal cases. The local PD's and SO's are so small the MSHP becomes the defacto LE in the area.
                  A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

I agree, the rural zones are full of action, just like the big cities. In the rural areas, Troopers are sometimes the only LE on duty for the whole county, some sheriffs departments are not 24-7 patrol. In these areas the Trooper works radio calls and also investigates crimes, along with traffic work.In areas like Greene, Jackson, and St. Louis County, they work mostly traffic
                    Hired !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ray8285
                      If I was going MSHP I would want a more rural zone. Those troopers spend as much time on traffic as they do on criminal cases. The local PD's and SO's are so small the MSHP becomes the defacto LE in the area.
                      Same here....as you would be doing more than just working traffic in a lot of rural areas. You would be humping calls with the SO and backing up some of the city guys/gals since there are so few people there working LE.

Some of the small towns only have a Chief and maybe one or two full time officers....same with SOs......

Comment

UPDATE - I turned in my resume and application to two departments in Arkansas, one an SO and the other a PD, last week. I got a call today from the Chief of the PD, and have an interview tomorrow. So I KNOW all will go well. It's a small town along the AR/MO border in NW AR.

Comment

Went to the interview today... He said he has to looking to working in one state, and living in another, but it looks promising. He is seemed concerned that the only ties I have to the area is my Fiance, and if she looses her job than I would have no place to live, and we would have to move. But that is not likely. The people she works for love us, so no worries there, plues I love it out here, I would just see if I could get a house out here. I want to stay out here no matter what.

I think he wants me, at least it seemed that way, but said it is not up to him, he lets his supervisors decided on who gets hired, becasue HE does not work with the patrol staff, they do. Which I thought was cool. Its a small dept only 10 officers.

He pretty much told me that I would be working night shift, and I would be assigned a unit, not a take home, but assigned none the less, and I think it would be a 1998 CVPI as he said it was the oldest they have. He also said that I would have to go through the academy a min of 3 months, then I will be a "trained officer" then after a year I will be certified.

But it all depends on if the state line is a problem, but if it depends on residency, I have a PO box in the state, so I can always get a AR state license, based on the PO Box, I have seen it done before, so I am hoping that will be the Loop Hole if it comes down to it.

I looked up on the Commissions website today, and there is no requirement that states that I have to live in the state. It also says that I have to have a Valid Drivers License, not even mentioning that I have to have one ISSUED from THAT STATE. So it looks pretty good so far, I just hope my credit will not be an issue, but people make mistakes, and I am still paying for them, but in time.....

Here is the website...http://www.clest.org/regulation_1002.html

But for now, it seems like I maybe in, just have to go for another interview infront of the "board" of other officers and do background.

ALL equipment is issued, from uniforms, belts, gear, and firearms, which is suprising seeing how it is a very small department.

Comment

Went for another interview today, and got hired. I love the area and it is a great state. Also GREAT people to work with.
                            Last edited by PTR-Jason; 06-14-2007, 11:06 PM.

Comment

congrats

good job and always be safe
                              --Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6--

"In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC"

Comment

Thanks, I am alreayd out on patrol, but not alone yet. Just have to learn the city better, and learn the ARK laws, but they are similar to the CA laws.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4938 users online. 327 members and 4611 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X