300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws governing reserve police

I will be a reserve police officer for a small town starting in late June. So far the only RSMo chapter I can find that covers reserve officers is section 84-540 but all it talks about is for Kansas City PD. How do reserve police positions work in Missouri?

Originally posted by showme View Post
    How do reserve police positions work in Missouri?
    If you have a Class A or B Cert.... you will have the same duties and responsibilites as a full-time officer.......and will fall under HR214.

If you don't have your POST.....then not sure what you are talking about.......as last time I checked, all reserves must be MO POST Certified.....

Some places pay reserves....some don't.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      If you have a Class A or B Cert.... you will have the same duties and responsibilites as a full-time officer.......and will fall under HR214.

If you don't have your POST.....then not sure what you are talking about.......as last time I checked, all reserves must be MO POST Certified.....

Some places pay reserves....some don't.....
      Guess I should have been more specific sorry. I will have my class A. But as far as the differences between sworn LEOs and reserve LEOs is what I was wondering. I wont be paid I know that.

Thanks for the HR214 tip, I'll read up on it.

Comment

There is no difference btwn Sworn or Reserve.....You have your Class A from the Sheriff's Academy.....you are allowed to do everything that a full-timer can do..... Now, Departments may limit what you do.....that's up to them.

But statute wise, you fall under the statutes that govern police officers and deputies..... just like full-timers do....there is no difference....

We had Reserves at my last agency.....I was in charge of them. After they completed an FTO program (same as full-time folks) we allowed them to go at it....alone or ride with a full-timer.....

Comment

Bear is quite correct, as far as Missouri is concerned, there is no difference between full time or reserve officers. Departments may have different restrictions, but as far as the state is concerned, a cop is a cop. In fact, Missouri POST seems to have repealed most of their rules/information pertaining to reserve officers and have made a move to treat everyone the same. There are still some oddities here and there, but nothing that will effect the vast majority of officers in the state.

As far as what you will actually be doing, it really depends on the department. I know bigger departments tend to only use their reserves for specific things (special events, parades, ect). Smaller departments are more likely to give reserves a patrol car and let them handle a shift like anyone else.

Now Kansas on the other hand.... I still don't know what is going on here :P
          Last edited by Dingo990; 04-28-2011, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
            Bear is quite correct
            As usual....

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
            Now Kansas on the other hand.... I still don't know what is going on here :P
            That place confuses me.....always has.....always will.....

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if reserve and sworn officers had the same authority on and off or not. As far as felony arrest, concealed carry, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by showme View Post
                Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if reserve and sworn officers had the same authority on and off or not. As far as felony arrest, concealed carry, etc etc.
                Same/Same statute wise...

As stated, Dept may limit what you do by rules/regulations in place with their agency.....and one must follow those or risk not being employed with them....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  Same/Same statute wise...

As stated, Dept may limit what you do by rules/regulations in place with their agency.....and one must follow those or risk not being employed with them....
                  Of course. It will be my first law enforcement position and I will not be wearing the know it all pants. I'm here to learn and expand my knowledge and skills.

Comment

You'd be paid as a reserve in my city. About a dollar less/hr. than a rookie. Our city allows up to 10 reserves (as "reserve status) be on the payroll. They all just show up when they want and even work up to 32 hours/week. No benefits though. I think each city's board mandates it. You'd just have to check w/ each city. Minimum, you'll have to be certified and do the FTO gig. Pretty sure all of our reserves were full time at one time then went reserve after 1-3 years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4394 users online. 277 members and 4117 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X