300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar certification

I've worked for my dept. for 3 years and have never been "certified" to run radar. I was told when I began here that you only have to be "qualified" to run radar. In other words, know how it works, how to test it, ect. and you're fine. I had assumed it would be in laws if we had to technically be certified to use them but I'm not finding anything. If someone knows and knows WHERE to find the documents stating a police officer has to be "certified" please tell me. I've looked all over MO State Statutes and can't find anything. Thanks.

The information you're looking for is in Commonwealth of Kentucky v. Honeycutt. The SC ruled an officer must be trained to properly set up, test, and operate the unit. They did not specify how many hours of training were needed to meet this standard. There is an older standard of 24 hours classroom and 16 hours practical training that some departments still use, but I don't where that came from.

Comment

Mo Trooper is right, you must know how to set it up, test it and read the instrument to obtain the speed measurement. However I will add this, the evidence obtained through radar is only as good as the person who presents it. As a radar operator it is your duty to provide records and testimony in court.

So basically it all boils down to how you can articulate your knowledge in court.

So to answer question, being "certified" is not a statutory requirement in Missouri, however I sure wouldn't want to show up in court with the……my ol' buddy Joe taught me how to use it qualification either.

Comment

Alright thanks fellas. That's all I needed.
        "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Comment

Sry, still signed in under my wife's ID.
          "You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know." --Dave Grossman

Comment

Errr...make that worthless traffic officer of yours go out and help you get your certs.....

And yes, tell him I said get off his *** and get to work....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4436 users online. 271 members and 4165 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X