300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Reqs

I put in my name for the MSHP middle class of next year. Just curious, when you do your physical fitness test, do they want you to just do the required amount to pass? Would a person be looked down on for doing more? For example, the minimum push-ups for my age group is 22 in a minute. I know I can do over 70. Should I go ahead and do that many or are they going to just feel like I'm showing off? As I understand it, it is a selection process so I want to set myself apart from others. However, I understand that a lot of people don't like a showoff. (At least that's how it is in the military) I just don't want to do anything that will hurt my chances.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I'd do the max you can. 22's just the minimum. Remember, you're in competition against other applicants. If you do 30 and the other guy does 60........... get my point? This IS your time to show off! Just remember, PT isn't the only part of the process. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Max it out or they will never hire you....

Just sayin'.....

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I know it is more than just physical, I just don't want to do anything to mess this up. When we do our PT tests here, a lot of the guys only want you to do the minimum so everything goes faster. But I will do my best when the time comes.

Since you mentioned the fact that it is more than just physical, is there anything anyone can recommend I study to get a jump on the academy. I understand that there is a lot to learn in 6 months time but if there is anything I can study now to better prepare me for that time, I would really like to get a head start.

Thanks again!

Comment

Just look over Missouri State Statutes. Mostly traffic law I'd assume. They'll teach you all of the ones you need to know and teach you a lot of other things you can't study for now. You haven't made it yet. Remember that. I'm in the same boat you are but in the DEA Special Agent process. I'm waiting to hear back from my Med/Psych so I can do my PTT/Polygraph/Background.

When you're about to go to an academy, there's really nothing to learn prior. As long as you can learn what they teach you when they teach you, you'll be fine. Just have to be patient and wait until the time comes. Hurry up and wait!

Comment

In what order is the PT test given? For example, trigger pull then push ups, then sit ups, 300 meter then 1.5mi run?
            "When opulence and extravagance are a necessity instead of righteousness and truth, society will be governed by greed and injustice."

Comment

Originally posted by DeepThought View Post
              I put in my name for the MSHP middle class of next year. Just curious, when you do your physical fitness test, do they want you to just do the required amount to pass? Would a person be looked down on for doing more? For example, the minimum push-ups for my age group is 22 in a minute. I know I can do over 70. Should I go ahead and do that many or are they going to just feel like I'm showing off? As I understand it, it is a selection process so I want to set myself apart from others. However, I understand that a lot of people don't like a showoff. (At least that's how it is in the military) I just don't want to do anything that will hurt my chances.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
              When I tested with MSHP, I maxed out every exercise, and so did everyone else. I believe that MSHP will eliminate people even if they pass the written and physical tests, if they have a large number of people who pass, so you will want to score well.
              What is Perseverance?
              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by LOYALTEE View Post
                In what order is the PT test given? For example, trigger pull then push ups, then sit ups, 300 meter then 1.5mi run?
                I hope I don't get this mixed up as I tested with several agencies right around the same time.

First we did trigger pull, then push ups, then sit-ups, then vertical leap, then the 300m sprint. We did the 1.5 mile run last. I pushed myself extremely hard on the 300m, and barely passed it, but had the fastest time for men on the 1.5 mile the day I tested. I'm a distance runner, not a sprinter.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6313 users online. 331 members and 5982 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X