300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some adivce in Missouri.

Gov. Matt Blunt signed a bill into law today that mandates ALL Deputies starting pay to be 28K a year.

The money will come from a $10 increase in the fee charged by sheriffs for the service of any summons, writ, subpoena, or other order of the court in civil cases......

http://governor.mo.gov/cgi-bin/coran...&tmpl=newsitem

I don't care that much about pay raises and I know I won't get rich in this job, but the law is the law. I work in a County jail as a commissioned officer. There are two of us in the jail that are commissioned deputies and the other 25 or so jailers are "civilian" jailers by title with no commission. The Sheriff has passed the word on that we won't be bumped up to the mandatory 28,000 a year since he is going to list us as "reserve" deputies. Yes, I do make less than the required 28 a year.

I don't want to become a pain in the rear and be put on the S&IT list. Which would ruin my chances of moving up to the road or being hired by the PD in the same town. They also use me as a transport officer at the lower "jailer" wage. They do this more and more.

My first step is to talk to the Sheriff this coming tuesday. If I don't get anywhere then I thought I would call the Missouri Sheriffs Association and see where I get there.

Any advice?????
    Last edited by RedRyder21; 08-31-2008, 08:31 PM.

Great, now my link won't work... Off to find a new one.

Comment

This link works.

and this one describes the bill.

You stated:

The Sheriff has passed the word on that we won't be bumped up to the mandatory 28,000 a year since he is going to list us as "reserve" deputies. Yes, I do make less than the required 28 a year.
      You should speak with him and ask him if this is true. Since you said he "passed" the word around this may just be a rumor.

If after you speak with him he states that you will not be bumped up, then this means you are not a sworn sheriff's deputy.

Comment

Originally posted by occ View Post
        You stated:

You should speak with him and ask him if this is true. Since you said he "passed" the word around this may just be a rumor.

If after you speak with him he states that you will not be bumped up, then this means you are not a sworn sheriff's deputy.
        Yes, I will most definitely speak to the Sheriff this coming tuesday morning. I am commissioned and I was sworn in by the judge for the county I work for. They did put "reserve" deputy on my ID card. In the jail I have wrote PCS statements for jail incidents involving assaults on inmates by inmates and inmates breaking jail property. Also, when people turn there selfs in on a warrant, I am the one if I am on duty that does the technical arrests. So, if I am not a certified deputy in the jail... Then why and how could I have done all of that.

So, if I am just commissioned as a reserve deputy, then I guess I shouldn't have been working transport when they asked me to?

This is all just thoughts on what I will ask the Sheriff when I speak to him about the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRyder21 View Post
          . They did put "reserve" deputy on my ID card. .
          I think as a reserve you have no case. They can pay reserves from $0 to whatever they want. We pay ours nothing, but we do give them uniforms for free.
          A Veteran is someone who at one point in their life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America, for an amount up to, and including their life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact!

Comment

Well, I decided for my own sake to just drop it and forget it. I do work as a full time paid "jailer" and I am commissioned, but I guess that does not mean I am a "commissioned jail deputy" I also work as a reserve road deputy for free.

I figured that if I just keep my mouth and do my job I will eventually be able to move out to the road or get hired by the City PD. I don't want to be put on the "bad" list, which would mean I wouldn't be able to be hired anywhere in the county.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3749 users online. 140 members and 3609 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X