300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traffic question from Iowa officer

Tonight I noticed a vehicle with a full blue lightbar and blue grille lights cruising through my sleepy little Iowa town. I pulled up behind the F150 and noticed it had no rear plate so i initiated a stop on it. The driver informed me that he was from Missouri and that vehicles plated for 18,000 lbs or more were exempted from having a rear license plate. He did have a front plate.

What's the deal with that, and how in the world do you get 18,000 pound plates for a 4,000 pound truck?

Here in Iowa all vehicles are required a front and rear plate no matter what the vehicle. I know there are plenty of states that do not require a front plate, but what's up with exempting a 1/2 ton pickup from having a rear plate?

I'm surprised you haven't run across that before, since you're from a neighboring state. I don't believe half-ton trucks are exempt, but that's the proper way to display tags on a 3/4 or larger pickup in Missouri. They only issue one plate for them and they are to be displayed on the front. My F-I-L used to get stopped from time to time on out-of-state trips with his Ford Super Duty, just to ask about his plates.

Comment

It does not matter what the vehicle is capable of, but what it is plated for, if he pays the money for the beyond locals then he only has to have the front plate. I believe is due to the heavy duty trucks being commonly used for towing and that would block the plates in the rear anyway.

Comment

I found a reference for this on the state website.
        See page 3 under Trucks over 12,000 lbs.
        http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/drivers/dlguide/chapter14.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 86-43 View Post
          Tonight I noticed a vehicle with a full blue lightbar and blue grille lights I pulled up behind the F150
          I can't remember all the DOR Regs since I haven't been in MO in a while but one can only suspect that the Full Blue Light Bar/Blue Grille Lights made him a Volly FF. They are allowed to deck their vehicles out at the descretion of their Chief.

I've seen some places that where they were better outfited than the Local LEOs were light wise.

Comment

Originally posted by ignignokt373 View Post
            I can't remember all the DOR Regs since I haven't been in MO in a while but one can only suspect that the Full Blue Light Bar/Blue Grille Lights made him a Volly FF. They are allowed to deck their vehicles out at the descretion of their Chief.

I've seen some places that where they were better outfited than the Local LEOs were light wise.
            All his whack-tastic lights are what drew my attention to the vehicle anyway, as I had never seen it before. VFF's here are also allowed blue lights but normally it's just dash lights they have around here so his mammoth lightbar stuck out. I asked him right away and he did say he was a VFF. If he was an ******* I was going to pimp him about the lights but he was really nice and said he gets pulled over in iowa all the time because of the plates.

Comment

Originally posted by 86-43 View Post
              All his whack-tastic lights are what drew my attention to the vehicle anyway, as I had never seen it before.
              In MO, it's up to the Fire Chief on what they can/can't have. Most allow a siren and a front/rear light. Some don't care and will let their folks whack the hell out of their vehicles.

And we are talking full light bars, grille lights, deck lights, and corner strobes just to name a few areas. Some were better outfited than the smaller rural agencies around my City in Central MO. And those fools pay for it all themselves. The Volly FD doesn't give them a dime.

Comment

I'm in Kansas and run across it all the time. Fortunately, I'm a Missouri native so I know a lot of those laws too.

Any truck registered for 18,000lbs or more (that's the REGISTERED weight which is what the vehicle can haul, not to be confused with the actual weight or the gross vehicle weight rating as by the manufacturer) is only issued one plate and is supposed to displayed on the front, just like a truck-tractor.

I think the theory behind it is since most trucks 18,000 and over pul trailers frequently, the plate would get banged up on the back or not be visible anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
                  I think the theory behind it is since most trucks 18,000 and over pul trailers frequently, the plate would get banged up on the back or not be visible anyway.
                  Yeah and I hate it when trucks are hauling and they have the plate in the back instead of front where it's supposed to be. "Sorry, if you would have had your plate in the right place, I wouldn't have had to pull you over and waste both our time. Have a nice day."

Comment

Has never made much sense to me to have a front only license plate requirement. Everyone I've talked to with that registration says they get pulled over all the time. Personally, I'd like to see Missouri go to single plate only for all vehicles (on the rear). Cut down on the split tag violators.

Comment

Originally posted by JaseFifty1 View Post
                      Personally, I'd like to see Missouri go to single plate only for all vehicles (on the rear).
                      I think all vehicles should have a front and rear plate in Missouri, that would solve the problem.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4010 users online. 235 members and 3775 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X