Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by headonstraight View Post
    Ok, thanks.
    Nice to see we are finally on the right sheet of music....because you can't or won't give me any answers for what I posted......and you know that.

You have no idea how you will react to being in a real academy or on the streets actually working as a LEO and not doing it as a Reserve......

I don't know how you will react....nor do your peers or anyone that might hire you.....

Done...bye....

Comment

You didn't pose any real questions. The few real questions that you did pose, I answered.

It appears that you are saying that there is no conceivable way to determine who can withstand the rigors of police academy, so why even bother to screen applicants in the first place, just open the academies up to anyone who can graduate, right? No.

Comment

Originally posted by headonstraight View Post
        It appears that you are saying that there is no conceivable way to determine who can withstand the rigors of police academy, so why even bother to screen applicants in the first place, just open the academies up to anyone who can graduate, right? No.
        No....I'm saying no matter how hard you screen folks....you still will never know who will do good, who will make it, who will stay with the job till retirement, and who will quit during the damn thing......

You do your best and screening folks and hope you get it right..... kinda like drafting players to play pro sports.....

Once again......once you get some maturity and some experience......you will figure out what I am others are talking about.... Right now, you're not there......

Now I'm done.... Bye...

Comment

Wow 55 have quit? And still over 20 weeks to go? Will there be any graduates??
          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
            No....I'm saying no matter how hard you screen folks....you still will never know who will do good, who will make it, who will stay with the job till retirement, and who will quit during the damn thing......
            So because of that some people will quit, there is no reason to try to bring the hiring practices up to the standard that every other department uses? I suppose you purchase a used car sight unseen, no test drive, right?

Once again......once you get some maturity and some experience......
            LOL but disagreeing with you =/= immaturity.

Now I'm done.... Bye...
            Haven't you already said that once? Don't make a liar out of yourself now...

Comment

Alot of opinions on this thread about how MHP runs their patrol schools. We all know what opinions are like so I wont even go there but what I will say is, you wont find a single Trooper in Mississippi that would change a thing about how we run our school. Each and every Trooper knows what his fellow Trooper has been through to wear that uniform. Its not for everyone just like a police department, sheriffs department, or federal job isnt for everyone. But for us, its what we chose to do and what we accomplished by not quiting and becoming a Trooper. It gets old with the ****ing contests that go on and on. If you want to be apart of MHP, keep trying until you get into the school. When you get in the school, dont quit. Its that easy. Unless you have done that you really have no clue what you are talking about as far as MHP patrol school in concerned. I myself worked for a pd before I became a Trooper. I respect all aspects of LE because I believe we all have an important role in the jobs we do. No one is better than the other. What I do is try to be as professional as possible and represent myself and my agency to the best of my ability. I think several people on this forum need to step back and do the same for themselves.

Comment

You have no idea how you will react to being in a real academy or on the streets actually working as a LEO and not doing it as a Reserve.......
                This. Reserves suit up when it fits them, or when a detail has to be worked, or when they get pulled over. Other than that, I've got nothing for a reserve. Nothing personal, but they don't understand fully what it's like to be full time. Especially if you're a supervisor.
                http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                  This. Reserves suit up when it fits them, or when a detail has to be worked, or when they get pulled over. Other than that, I've got nothing for a reserve. Nothing personal, but they don't understand fully what it's like to be full time. Especially if you're a supervisor.
                  Bingo! Kid is clueless...... and just doesn't realize it yet. He has no idea (nor we) if he will make it into and thru a real deal academy.....if he will make it thru FTO......and if he will even make it a career..... yet he comes on here trying to play Preacher that he will.....

Some folks need to read more...post less.....and wait till they get some time on the road as a real LEO before they make comments.... Just me.....

Comment

Exodus, the academy is not going to change, no mater how many people drop out or are injured. The reason they give for the academy being ran that way, is that it trains you not to quit. But the real reason is its been ran that way since the beginning of MHP and if it changed the past troopers would not be happy. The truth is Mississippi is usually slow to change its ways, even if there is a better proven alternative.

Comment

• Originally posted by BamaCounty View Post
                      I know I will get flame but if that is not hazing I don't know what is. That has nothing too do with being a trooper or any type of law enforcement. If a sport team did that or a frat there be all kinds of hail being raise.
                      It builds character

Besides... after a while you start enjoying it and once its over you miss it!
                      MDC BLE 270

Comment

• Fair enough. I didn't realize that some officers felt that way about reserves. I guess that is good to learn so that I won't try to be buddy-buddy with the officers or get in the way too much, do my job and be quiet.

It doesn't offend me since I will be full time before too long anyhow.

Comment

• So are our service members in the military getting hazed in Iraq and Afghanistan? I'm fairly sure it's a hell of a lot hotter over there in addition to the gear and clothing they must operate in. Last time I checked, they VOLUNTEERED to do that job because the believe in it. Why do you think our military and especially our special operators and so feared and so good at what they do? They volunteer to be put through hell and come out alive because they know when it hits the fan, they are going to push through and so is their buddy beside them. Who killed Bin Laden? A group of men who have been put through the hardest selection and schools in the world. Why? Because they knew they could do it. It is that kind of commitment that it takes sometimes. What if they just quit or decide to file lawsuits because it's too hot? These men and women do a great service to our job and it certainly is not easy. I thank God every day for them and give them my utmost respect. In law enforcement, we do a similar job and sometimes you just have to "cowboy up" and go. Are you going to quit in a fight for your life because it's too hot? Or what about when that guy is bigger than you? Now, that isn't fair, but sometimes you just have to do it because this is what you chose to do. Give me the hard academy and let me see what I am made of and see what my back-up is made of. There are plenty of other academies out there that are easier if you don't want to go through Mississippi's Patrol school. They damn sure don't have to beg you to come. I get sick and tired of hearing about lawsuits. This country could use some more selfless people like the ones who serve in our military and less of lawsuits and people who think life was unfair to them so they need some money to make it a little more "fair."

I'd be willing to bet you can ask any cadet that graduates from this patrol school if he/she is glad they endured and toughed it out what they went through and didn't quit. It ain't for everybody and not everyone is going to make it, nor should it be that way. Seems to me that everyone complaining are ones who couldn't/wouldn't make it through.

To our military...thanks again and thanks for not quitting despite the rough times and harsh conditions.

Comment

• headonstraight....
                            I think you’re well intentioned, but unfortunately a little misguided when it comes to LE. I have been policing for over 15 years now and I still don’t know everything when it comes to LE, but with that said, it gets irritable when someone who hasn’t worked a day in their life in my shoes, tries to intelligently comment about the what, who, when and where about my job. Its one of the main reasons I do not post or comment in any of the public forums on here, except the States section. It’s easy to sit back and say this how is things should be when your not the one out there risking your life everyday.....

I’ll try and give you a little advice and you can take it or leave it, as I am and have been doing what you have been dreaming of doing for awhile now.....

Being a Trooper is what it is. I think MrP46 pretty much summed it up for the Troops in MS. If you don’t agree with the training or the methods of hiring, don’t apply. You obviously got hired so for what it’s worth, you had every opportunity to succeed and become one of MS finest. Instead you choose to drop out and move on, for which there is no dishonor, the job isn’t for everyone. As far as screening and interviewing folks better, well it’s like comparing apples to oranges. A guy can be the best interviewee in the world and say all the right things to his interviewers and then report for day one in the academy and be the first one to walk out the door, yet the guy that stumbled along his interview or maybe gave his interviewers some doubts, may stick it through and turn out to be the best candidate out of the bunch. You see intestinal fortitude and a person’s will to succeed are not things you can judge by simply interviewing someone. Everyone’s threshold and breaking point is different. I had the experience of being in the military and being a former police officer when I went through my academy, but I was treated no differently then anyone else in my class and I had to endure the same hardships as the guy who had zero experience or life experiences. Some folks who had my experiences or more, dropped out and some of the zero experienced guys as well. It all boils down to how bad you want the job and how much you’re willing to endure to get it. Be humble you were offered the opportunity and find your niche somewhere else, whether its with a PD or SO, etc...,work the road for a few years and then come back and talk to us.

As far as reserves, I had them at my old PD. I enjoyed working with them and even have a close friend I met through the reserve program who rode with me all most every weekend I was there and I would trust him with my life. There are some good folks in those types of units and some end up making excellent officers later on. However, there are also notorious for harboring not so good folks too. Again, as I stated earlier it is hard to judge each individual and determine who is signing up for the right reasons. If your reserve program is good, these folks should be weeded out ......or at the very least disassociate yourself from that kind as the full-timers will not respect you or trust you, when the chips are down or when they are asked about you when you eventually apply for active full-time status. Use your time in the reserves to your advantage by showing your fellow future partners what you’re about and by letting them know, you know when to open your mouth and when to keep it shut...

Good luck.
                            Last edited by statebear; 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM. Reason: another typo

Comment

• Originally posted by Good Ole Boy View Post
                              There are plenty of other academies out there that are easier if you don't want to go through Mississippi's Patrol school. They damn sure don't have to beg you to come.
                              It's that simple folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by statebear View Post
                                As far as reserves, I had them at my old PD. I enjoyed working with them and even have a close friend I met through the reserve program who rode with me all most every weekend I was there and I would trust him with my life.
                                From talking to my friend down in MS, Reserves are different then they are in MO......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8514 users online. 437 members and 8077 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X