Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Federal LE does not interest me whatsoever, sorry. Big difference between local patrol and feds.

As for the kid comment, OK sure.

Comment

^^^ Then so be it. Don't come to the Feds. However, for you to throw around the blanket statements like you just did in your previous post was just plain ignorant.
      Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

I like traffic stops and such the unknown factor of responding to service calls. How often do feds do that?

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue this, I'd hate to side-track this MHP thread.

Comment

I don't wish to hijack the thread either. However, I will decline the invitation to try and enlighten the likes of you. I've found that arguing with people who fancy themselves as some sort of intellectual elitist is one of the most fruitless things I've ever attempted to do.

We're done......
          Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

LOL @ making it to your ignored list (your signature).

By looking at your profile it looks like nothing counts as life experience unless it is military, so I guess that is why you say that I have none?

I'm still trying to figure out what it is that you took so personally. Because I don't want to be a fed? Ok, so you don't want to be a local, same argument, just opposite sides... Sounds like two people trying to argue religion or politics.

Comment

Originally posted by headonstraight View Post
              Just wait till Monday rolls around and see how many went home for the weekend and decided not to return...

Good point. A 3 day weekend will make it hard to come back.
              Geaux Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by GC Tiger View Post
                55 dropped so far. That is not going to leave many for the road.
                Guess I don't get it. Why would you spend a crap ton of money on folks (background, physical, cadet uniforms, etc...) and then run that many off.....especially when money is tough to come by for a lot of agencies......

Mind boggling.....

Comment

I like traffic stops and such the unknown factor of responding to service calls. How often do feds do that?
                  Depends on your job with the Feds.....

US Park Police in DC are like the Highway Patrol of the Capitol Parkway System.....I've got buddies doing traffic stops out the wazoo dragging in drunks, dopers, warrants, etc......on a nightly basis......

Perhaps you need to explore things more before making statements like you did....?

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                    Guess I don't get it. Why would you spend a crap ton of money on folks (background, physical, cadet uniforms, etc...) and then run that many off.....especially when money is tough to come by for a lot of agencies......

Mind boggling.....
                    Perfect example of why they need to re-structure their hiring process and pick a better selection of their ideal candidate before the academy begins.

Depends on your job with the Feds.....

US Park Police in DC are like the Highway Patrol of the Capitol Parkway System.....I've got buddies doing traffic stops out the wazoo dragging in drunks, dopers, warrants, etc......on a nightly basis......

Perhaps you need to explore things more before making statements like you did....?
                    I thought it was pretty obvious that I am referring to the majority of federal agencies such as FBI, DEA, DHS, ATF etc etc...

Of course we can split hairs and get in to semantics about some federally-funded agencies that patrol federal property (which technically makes them a "federal agency") that patrol small jurisdictions and perform local-level duties (ie: your example of US Park Police) which mirrors local level LE but I don't think anyone else was having trouble making that distinction.

When I was pointing the differences between federal LE and local LE, it wasn't supposed to offend anyone, they are simply my personal reasons for preferring local LE.

By getting so offended at my preference for local LE, what are you really saying? That local LE isn't good enough? "Real cops" are feds? Local LE is amateur? Help me understand...
                    Last edited by headonstraight; 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Perfect example of why they need to re-structure their hiring process and pick a better selection of their ideal candidate before the academy begins.
                      Errr..... What is the "ideal candidate" ..? You can have what a lot of folks consider an ideal candidate but until they are actually in training you have no clue how they are going to perform...... You do realize that don't you...??

I know plenty of folks that have went thru stress academies and didn't make it but later on went thru more low keyed ones and made it thru....and were great Officers and I would trust my life with them backing me up.

I've also seen some folks go thru stress academies and I wouldn't want them within 100 feet of me on the road.....

The rest of your post

A. I've done both..... Cops are Cops.... No matter if you wear a uniform or if you are in suit..... A lot of Feds start as locals......

B. How do you know what you want to do...? Have you been thru an academy and worked the road yet...? You ever think that somewhere down the road you might get bored with traffic stops and wrecks all day and want to do something else....? Once again, there is a reason why a lot of locals go to the Feds......

C. How about actually getting on the job....then start making comments about stuff like this....? Until you've actully worked the road .....you have no clue what you are talking about. You're just dreaming.....

Comment

First - about ideal candidates... have you read the posts up to this point in this thread?? They don't interview and they are swayed too much by politics. They don't have a good idea of who they have until the academy starts (in before offended MHP supporters).

Next - I didn't realize the fed crowd was so sensitive. I didn't realize that I have to work until retirement before I can make a decision about what kind of job I want. As a matter of fact, I have never worked as a doctor or an accountant but by your logic, I cannot dismiss those ideas until I work a full career there either.

As for you questions about have I been through an academy, yes I have been through a 5 month part-time state certification academy which grants full powers of an LEO as a requirement of my employment as a sworn reserve. Admittedly, this is not a basic class as it will not count for full time employment.

Of course I will eventually get bored with traffic stops and wrecks but that's why there is upward mobility in the local level agencies too. Specialty units and supervision promotions are what most motivated officers works towards.
                        Last edited by headonstraight; 07-18-2011, 08:01 AM.

Comment

First - about ideal candidates... have you read the posts up to this point in this thread?? They don't interview and they are swayed too much by politics. They don't have a good idea of who they have until the academy starts (in before offended MHP supporters).
                          Yes...I read the thread. As stated, even if you find the "ideal" candidate, how does one know they will make it thru...? You don't....I certainly don't...... No one knows how folks are going to react to stress academies until the person goes thru and completes it. Even then, how long will the last on the road till the opt to do something else because they got burnt out..? No one can read a persons mind.....especially 3, 5, 10 years down the line...

I didn't realize that I have to work until retirement before I can make a decision about what kind of job I want.
                          Put some time on the job.....then you can start making comments. Until then, do you really know what its like working as a full time, paid LEO...? Do you know how you are going to react to seeing 100s of dead kids while doing traffic accidents...? Do you know how you are going to react to all the domestics you've gone to...? You don't......

As for you questions about have I been through an academy, yes I have been through a 5 month part-time state certification academy which grants full powers of an LEO as a requirement of my employment as a sworn reserve. Admittedly, this is not a basic class as it will not count for full time employment, but the authority granted by this part-time academy is full LEO authority.
                          Once again...until you've gone thru a full-time acadmey (even a stress one like MSP does)put some time on the road with an agency, you have no idea how/if you will make it.....do you...?

Of course I will get bored with traffic stops and wrecks but that's why there is upward mobility in the local level agencies too. Specialty units and supervision promotions are what any motivated officer works towards.
                          Gee...guess what...? Feds do that as well.... Once again, till you start working the job full time....you have absolutely no idea how you are going to like....how you will react to stuff you see....or how you will even like doing different jobs within an agnecy.....do you...?

Comment

I think you can learn a lot more about the person and what they are all about if you... talk... them, ask them questions, stuff like that usually happens during an interview. If you are saying that talking to a person before you hire them will not help attrition rates at the academy, then I am just going to have to let that go as I don't know how to explain any different.

No Bearcat, I have never seen "hundreds" of dead kids in one accident, not sure if you have either. If you have, it is a fluke as I don't think most officers will ever respond to 4 school bus 10-50, but I understand the point you are trying to illustrate. As an EMS personnel I have been first on the scene with dead infants and all kinds of other fatalities, medical and trauma-related. I have even performed resuscitations. None of it bothers me in such a manner that I don't wish to continue. They are bad situations, but I enjoy being on scene and being able to help.

LOL ok, I am going to have to disagree with you when you say attending a part time academy and working as a sworn reserve cannot be used as any indication as to whether or not I am going to enjoy this career.

Well, we made it to page 4 before this thread became hijacked, which isn't bad. Three solid pages of on-topic conversation is about average for the internet. I guess we can continue with local vs fed and under 30 year old kids vs retired. Anymore talk of MHP will be considered off-topic with regard to the new direction of this thread.
                            Last edited by headonstraight; 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Your post

A. Once again, nobody knows how someone is going to react once they are in a stress academy.....or let alone any type of Full-Time LEO Academy. The Missouri State Highway Patrol is a stress academy and I know of at least 3 guys that quit because they didn't/couldn't put up with what they were enduring.....and they were all prior military guys.... They were interviewed and had a very, very thorough background.... and looked like "ideal candidates"...... Yet they didn't make it thru.... Hmmm......

B. As stated, you have no idea how you are going to react to stuff after you see it over and over.... not matter if you are a EMT. You move to a new unit....then what....? See other stuff over and over that might burn you out..... As stated, until you get some real time on the job.....you're clueless.....

C. Going thru a part-time academy and working as a Reserve isn't the same as going thru a real academy and working as a LEO on a full-time basis. Once again, you have no idea how you will react to a real academy....let alone a stress one like MSP runs.... You saying so is just a dream......

D. Done with you..... Go thru a complete background check, get hired by an agency, get thru a real, full-time academy, get thru FTO, and get some time on the road..... then get back with us..... Until then, you have absolutely no idea how you will do in any of that..... None of us know how you will do......
                              Last edited by Bearcat357; 07-17-2011, 04:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

You're just a stupid kid and you don't know anything
                                Ok, thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8628 users online. 412 members and 8216 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X