300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rgr2day View Post
    "AST has a better way of training tho and the instructors give respect to the cadets with experience." Training hasn't started yet, you were there what, a day or two? This is just the you better damn sure want this more than anything else weeding out phase. Seeing how they give hair cuts isn't enough to judge how they train......there's over 22 more weeks left.

But remember I tried to warn you...........and you said you were gonna "get you some".
    I did not leave because of the hazing. The truth is the hiring process is flawed, I was able to pass all of the required physical test with no problem. Once at the academy the PT far exceeded that and I was not in the physical condition to keep up. The PT entrance exam requirement was a 1 mile run in 8 min. The cadets at the academy who were not keeping up on the run (the pace was closer to a 6 min mile run) were told if they could not keep up, they would be sent home the following week and those cadets would not be accepted in any further patrol schools. I did not quit with out putting up a fight, there were several cadets who were talked into resigning because of this. Also I could careless about the haircuts, and I do believe a paramilitary academy is necessary. For the people that say MHP's way of training makes better better law enforcement officers. I have two words Hurricane Katrina. Their training makes better traffic cops, but not good cops. Here is a link to a news story on the cadet with kidney failure http://www2.wjtv.com/news/2011/jul/1...58/#fbcomments

Comment

Not knocking you for trying, but you sure seem to have a bitter pill now. How is the hiring process flawed? They let you in didn't they....staying is up to you...every one of those TAC officers and every troop you see going down the road has been there and done it and made it through it. As for your comments on they make good traffic cops and not good cops....again how would you know you only made it a day. I have worked with plenty of MHP troops and any of them can have my back anyday, I've seen their academy going on while I was attending MLEOTA and they are prepared for the worst. You tried, you left that's your fault and nobody else. Sure the PT standards are an 8 min mile but thats the minimum, as it says on another patrols website "theses are minimum entry standards it is highly recommended you surpass these standards significantly in order to maintain training status" All troop schools are tough, its what they are known for....its not the same job....I know because I have worked as a street cop and as a troop. I used to think we all do the same thing and we all are trained for the same eventuality ..... in reality when you become a troop you realize just how different the jobs are and how much more you are self reliant and can't depend on back up. The I will win at any cost and will never quit is essential......... It's like my old asst. chief said "You see one of them boys wearing the blue and grey, well he may be outa shape and be 300 lbs at some point but you can bet your ***** he wont quit. Thats just how those boys are once they beat that into them and they make it out of patrol school it stays with them forever, there is no quit in a trooper. And you know what that's a good thing, you need that out there."

Stop the name calling and move on brother....you gave it your best, now let it be.
      "Constantia comes victoriae"

“Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:

- I shall not fear anyone on Earth.
      - I shall fear only God.
      - I shall not bear ill will toward anyone.
      - I shall not submit to injustice from anyone.
      - I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.”
      ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
        I agree with statebear and Good Ol Boy. Personally, I'd rather do push-ups while my hair was being cut than rolling sawdust or sand anyway, but I'm kind of a neat freak in that regard.

I'm actually surprised so many are surprised by this type of academy. It's breaking them down to build them up.
        They get plenty of sand, the academy has "MLEOTA beach" a huge sandbox with a lifeguards stand just to watch over them as they toil away in the 100 plus heat and roll in sand. Life's a beach!

“Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:

- I shall fear only God.
        - I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.”
        ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

My claim towards the flawed hiring system is that it fails to identify and remove the slackers before they are hired. I understand that many are weeded out during the academy, but most agencies strive to remove the undesirables before they are ever offered a job.

There are some guys who struggle to write a coherent report, but they may be able to pass the physical standards. That doesn't mean that they are the best person for the job.

Essentially what I am pointing at is their biased hiring practices. How can they even pretend to be making unbiased decisions when they do not even give you a proper interview? And I know for a fact that they are not hiring from test scores either. An interview is a great chance to sell yourself as well as a great chance for the agency to find out who is sharp and articulate and who is a dim-witted dunce.

Maybe just a coincidence, but there sure were a LOT of candidates there during the testing process whose daddy, uncle or brother was a trooper.
          Last edited by headonstraight; 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by headonstraight View Post
            My claim towards the flawed hiring system is that it fails to identify and remove the morons before they are hired. I understand that many are weeded out during the academy, but most agencies strive to remove those with low intellect before they are ever offered a job.

There are some guys who can't put two sentences together properly, but they may be able to pass the physical standards. That doesn't mean that they are the best person for the job.

Essentially what I am pointing at is their blatantly biased hiring practices. How can they even pretend to be making unbiased decisions when they do not even give you a proper interview? And I know for a fact that they are not hiring from test scores either. An interview is a great chance to sell yourself as well as a great chance for the agency to find out who is sharp and articulate and who is a dim-witted dunce.

Maybe just a coincidence, but there sure were a LOT of candidates there during the testing process whose daddy, uncle or brother was a trooper.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that perhaps the way you have insulted others in the hiring process and placed yourself upon a self constructed pedestal may tend to be a bit of a pattern for you. And just perhaps this showed up in your background and in some of your reference checks. This may have caused you some trouble in that department. You see lots of people are looked over by MHP some for good reasons some for bad. Some are in the application process with other state agencies at the same time and leads MHP to doubt the applicants dedication to becoming a troop. So they pass over them and wait to see if they reapply.

I'm sure their were lots of applicants there whose daddys or uncles were troops. I know alot of lawyers, doctors....hell even mechanics who are doing what their family members did before them. Thats just the way of the world, I can't see a thing wrong with a man seeing what his uncle, father or grandfather did and wanting to follow in his foot steps. If you want to ease you mind by making it some sort of conspiracy then go ahead.

As for the interview, I agree it's very weak. The old hiring system was much more in depth and included a colonels interview and I think was much better. That being said I think they already know before the interviews who they want to hire mostly based off of the background and the references they get on you. Its tough getting hired on as a troop anywhere, only about 5% make it to the road is about average. Concentrate on whats ahead and not whats over and done.

And by the way, the "flawed hiring process" post wasn't for you anyway headon.....it was for Mach..they let him in patrol school.
            Last edited by rgr2day; 07-15-2011, 10:33 PM.

- I shall fear only God.
            ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

@rgr2day my comment about the school making good traffic cops is not based on the school, but based on experiences Ive had in dealing with them on a professional level. I am not going to explain this comment in a open forum, but if you would like a pm let me know. No name calling here. Before attending the school I was told that if I gave 100%, I would make it through the school. At the academy there were several cadets told that our 100% was not enough and we needed to resign. I did not quit because it was to hard. I quit because I was told that I would be removed from the school. Maybe that was just smoke blew up our butts so we would quit. I wish the best of luck to the remaining cadets.

Comment

Well as far as my Background, my BI personally told me as far as he was concerned, I had a great chance and a full recommendation from him.

If you are denying the presence of politics in their hiring system, that is laughable. I couldn't mention my testing with MHP to any LEO without them warning me of it.

Comment

Headonstraight can I ask what law enforcement experience you have, also college or military?

Comment

I was told long ago that the tac officers would tell you "you just aren't ready, you should quit" or single you out and say "we've been watching you and all talked about it and we don't think you are MHP material, you should resign" and I was told .....don't do it and don't believe it because it's a ploy....they are going to tell everybody that at some point to see who picks it up and says I'll show them. It was just blowing smoke and some guys leave because of it. Headon... politics are a part of the hiring process in every department, some.... most are worse than MHP. It's just how it is but Mach told you he didn't know anybody and got in, so the proof that it's not the end all is right in front of you.

I tried to get hired by MHP and wasn't but I'm not bitter, they just missed out on a good life long career troop. It was my only goal at the time, not just something I thought would be cool or just that I needed a job. I would have sacrificed everything down to family time and relationships...that's just how bad I wanted it.....and that's what it takes.

Dont think that MHP is the only place that makes you regret life to be a troop.... I have friends in TX and MO that are troops, they gave it blood, sweat and tears to be troops. TX DPS and MSHP (Missouri State Highway Patrol) have excruciating academies with attrition rates that equal or surpass MHP . I have the utmost respect for all of them as they have earned the title which has been given them. The Texas tan is a goal worthy of any persons admiration, as well as the years of tradition and respect earned by all that wear the patch of MSHP.

Being a trooper is not just about an academy, it's a life long dedication to something bigger than yourself. The traditions are strong and unwavering, in other states as well as in MS. You want to be a troop you are going to have to pay for it, that includes applying more than once and giving respect to those who have earned the title. Excuses are not the way of troopers there's just no room for them when you work alone, unsupervised and the the public trust is given to you above all others. You do the job honestly, ethically and to the best of your ability, make excuses for failure on the front end and the excuses are sure to come later as well. Learn, improve, press on and prove to them they made an error in not selecting you.............earned never given.
                    Last edited by rgr2day; 07-16-2011, 12:43 AM.

- I shall fear only God.
                    ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

I want also be clear I respect troopers. I have many friends that are troopers and with MHP. I stated what I believe it is. Many of them say the same thing with I know it is smile. We all have the same goals. My career path and God took me down a different road.

Comment

Mach1: I will abbreviate my reply simply to address to question that you directed towards me regarding education and public experience.

I far exceed the education requirements and have more experience than most without going into specific details.

No military experience, however I also far exceed any physical requirement as I have performed 110 proper pushups in 2 minutes (@ a LEO PT test), 1.5mile in 12:09 (1 mile in 6:59).

I also have ZERO intentions of pursuing federal law enforcement. I want to stay on local/state level since it is hands-on, more practical and faster-paced. I want to stay away from investigations and focus on field work and supervision.
                        Last edited by headonstraight; 07-18-2011, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Truthfully, all the hiring process does is see if you have any character about you and what your integrity is about. That's about it. The school should really be considered the "hiring process" when you think about it.
                          http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

55 dropped so far. That is not going to leave many for the road.
                            Geaux Tigers

Comment

Just wait till Monday rolls around and see how many went home for the weekend and decided not to return...

Comment

Originally posted by headonstraight View Post
                                Let me go ahead and state that I have ZERO intentions of pursuing federal law enforcement. I want to stay on local/state level since it is hands-on, more practical and faster-paced. I want to stay away from investigations and focus on field work and supervision.
                                For someone who owns his own business and has volunteered as a fireman, your post sounds like a recent college graduate KID who has little life experience and even less understanding of the various opportunities the different Federal agencies present. It is a narrow-minded thing to talk about the various agencies of the Feds when you clearly know absoutely nothing about us. What makes you think you can't find "hands-on, practical, and fast paced" in the Feds? Perhaps you should think more before you post such foolishness.
                                Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9481 users online. 361 members and 9120 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X