Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day 1 of MHP Patrol School (pictures)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by rgr2day View Post
    Ask plenty of guys who are troops with MHP who have done the things you mention in the military if the things you mention are far more challenging than patrol school,........I think the answers you get will be the contrary of what you think.
    Nope- I'm throwing the B.S. card on this one. There is no earthly way you're gonna convince me that courses like B.U.D.'s and S.F. Selection/Q-Course are more difficult (mentally OR physicallly) than a highway patrol academy; I don't care what state you come from.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by QuietPro View Post
      Nope- I'm throwing the B.S. card on this one. There is no earthly way you're gonna convince me that courses like B.U.D.'s and S.F. Selection/Q-Course are more difficult (mentally OR physicallly) than a highway patrol academy; I don't care what state you come from.

      Didn't say take my word for it, I said ask troops who have been through both. They can give you an honest answer. I'm just going by what several have told me about their experiences.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/mstroop...in/photostream
      Last edited by rgr2day; 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM.
      "Constantia comes victoriae"

      “Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:

      - I shall not fear anyone on Earth.
      - I shall fear only God.
      - I shall not bear ill will toward anyone.
      - I shall not submit to injustice from anyone.
      - I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.”
      ― Mahatma Gandhi

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by mach1 View Post
        @Bama the kidney failure was due to lack of hydration.

        I was there and decided to leave, because my health and family is more important then MHP. I trained for 5 months for the academy and lost 35 lbs, and that wasn't enough to prepare me. You have to be in extremely good physical condition. There is no doubt there is a lot of hazing, but that is not why I left.



        @Headonstraight I disagree with needing a political connection to get hired. I have no connection at all and dont know any troopers. I dont know how much experience you have or anything about you. But most cadets at the academy had law enforcement exp, military, college or all three. Better luck next year, the staff seemed sure there would be a school next year.




        So, what do ya think mach 1.....AST or MHP?
        "Constantia comes victoriae"

        “Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:

        - I shall not fear anyone on Earth.
        - I shall fear only God.
        - I shall not bear ill will toward anyone.
        - I shall not submit to injustice from anyone.
        - I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.”
        ― Mahatma Gandhi

        Comment


        • #34
          I'm not a MS Trooper but......

          Whether you agree with the training or not, the bottom line is those recruits chose to apply, go through the hiring process and attend the academy. To my knowledge, the doors swing both ways. In other words, just as easily as they walked in, they can also walk out. I'm sure any instructor there, would be more then happy to facilitate their exit. So whether you agree with the training or not, is irrelevant, you are not there and are not choosing to endure it. They are.....

          It is no secret most Trooper academies are centered on stress inoculation. The reasoning, being, if you can't handle being screamed at in a secure/controlled environment with some added stressors, how are you going to be able to handle working alone in a desolate area with no back-up close by, when Joe D-bag decides you are not taking him to jail or various other situations that will require quick decisive decision making?
          I choose to apply and go through the training; did I enjoy it all the time and look forward to being woke up at the crack of dawn for no reason? No. But, it all served a purpose in the end, which I will not get into on here. I will say, I served in the military and was a city police officer before I became a Trooper. I have worked in all kinds of environments and I can say with experience and certainty, being a Trooper is the most changeling job I have ever done. It requires a certain code of ethics and confidence in your abilities to work alone with little to no supervision on a daily basis. Does that mean that, some unethical folks don't slip through the cracks and get hired? No, but the training and a certain amount of weeding out is obviously a very important necessity.

          In sum, as I have stated on here before:

          The biggest difference in a State Trooper academy vs. Police Officer/Deputy academy, is the State Trooper academy instills a confidence and a belief through training to give a Trooper the capability to work by himself, have a patrol area of one or more counties, no backup within miles and still go out make the traffic stops day or night, handle any call for service and take care of whatever business is needed. We may seem elitist to some, but having that attitude is what enables us to come home everyday alive.

          In the end, it is what it is, whether you or I agree with it or not.

          Everyone has a different mindset and personel goals in life. To each his own......

          I love my job and could not imagine doing anything else.
          Last edited by statebear; 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM. Reason: typo

          Comment


          • #35
            @Headonstraight I agree that the interview was weak. I dont think orlelid is going to get very far in the academy.
            @rgr2day I went to the lateral academy in Alaska for a city department, but it was at the AST Academy. I would say the MHP academy is harder then the AST Academy. AST has a better way of training tho and the instructors give respect to the cadets with experience. MHP has it all wrong and should use a different program to train experienced law enforcement officers.
            I have dealt with MPH and AST in a professional capacity and have seen the difference in attitude. The times I have dealt with MHP, they acted like they were better then me and why was a I there backing them up. That is uncalled for especially when I have experienced more in 4 years then most Troopers have in 10. I am sure not all Troopers act that way, but a lot do. Now on the other hand, the times I have dealt with AST, they treated me like a brother. We all are on the same team and you never know when we might need each other.

            Having said all of the above, I wish I could have been In better shape and made it. It is MHP's academy and nothing is going to change on how they run it.

            Comment


            • #36
              I agree with statebear and Good Ol Boy. Personally, I'd rather do push-ups while my hair was being cut than rolling sawdust or sand anyway, but I'm kind of a neat freak in that regard.

              I'm actually surprised so many are surprised by this type of academy. It's breaking them down to build them up.

              Comment


              • #37
                Nobody forces you in; as a matter of fact it is a highly completive application process to begin with. So IMO folks are doing everything in there power to get hired and attend said academies. If they obviously didn't agree with the training or want to be Troopers, they would have ever applied in the first place.

                I'm thinking what folks don't realize is, that this is a highly self-supervising position once you are out on the road on your own and no State is going to place that trust in someone who they haven't vetted as strong willed and trust worthy.

                The reality is, there are no supervisors checking on you 24/7 in this gig, you are expected to supervise yourself and make the correct decisions at 0300, when your boss is in bed asleep.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by NBW791 View Post
                  Your post
                  Oh...I know what it is....I just think its silly to be doing it in this day of age when there are much better ways to train folks...... Plenty of Cops have gone thru less that stuff and work on their own at 2AM out in the middle of BFE and survive .......

                  Also....As I recall, I don't think your academy or Statebears does silly **** like that......

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by statebear View Post
                    I'm thinking what folks don't realize is, that this is a highly self-supervising position once you are out on the road on your own and no State is going to place that trust in someone who they haven't vetted as strong willed and trust worthy.

                    The reality is, there are no supervisors checking on you 24/7 in this gig, you are expected to supervise yourself and make the correct decisions at 0300, when your boss is in bed asleep.
                    Plenty of rural Counties in MO that have no issues doing the same thing you guys do with their folks at O-Dark Thirty....execpt usually at lower pay......

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                      Oh...I know what it is....I just think its silly to be doing it in this day of age when there are much better ways to train folks...... Plenty of Cops have gone thru less that stuff and work on their own at 2AM out in the middle of BFE and survive .......

                      Also....As I recall, I don't think your academy or Statebears does silly **** like that......
                      They may survive, but not all know what to do.......

                      Minus the haircuts, everything else was about the same. Also, a pic can only say so much, who knows what these guys did or said to earn them the special attention they were getting. You'd be surprised, what some of these young kids will pop off, (they do it on here all the time) when don't realize the repercussions.....had some in mine that had to get a wake up call or two before they realized what to say and when to say it.
                      Last edited by statebear; 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM. Reason: pc

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                        Plenty of rural Counties in MO that have no issues doing the same thing you guys do with their folks at O-Dark Thirty....execpt usually at lower pay......
                        Your right, but their is a difference with being out in county BFE or city BFE where the pop is less then a couple hundred or so and being cut loose in the metro by yourself......

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by statebear View Post
                          They may survive, but not all know what to do.......

                          Minus the haircuts, everything else was about the same. Also, a pic can only say so much, who knows what these guys did or said to earn them the special attention they were getting. You'd be surprised, what some of these young kids will pop off, (they do it on here all the time) when don't realize the repercussions.....had some in mine that had to get a wake up call or two before they realized what to say and when to say it.

                          I've been following this very interesting thread as well as the other one on MHP without posting but will comment on the trooper and police comparisons....

                          I don't really see the reality of those who say "my back up is me, there is no one else". Maybe you are the only one you know of out there but what stops you from calling for assistance from the closest PD or Sheriff Office when needed? In that sense, you truly are not by yourself. What about a deputy or officer who patrols the county by himself, or does that not 'count' for some reason? Or the officer or deputy going to some robbery/heated domestic/traffic stop etc. can have their back up several miles away? Whats the difference?

                          In above post, you said you helped "BFE cop" with an arrest? So you were his back up right?

                          Also you posted "not all know what to do". What do you mean?
                          John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Do the troopers have barber's licenses?
                            Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
                            Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by NC Marine View Post
                              I've been following this very interesting thread as well as the other one on MHP without posting but will comment on the trooper and police comparisons....

                              I don't really see the reality of those who say "my back up is me, there is no one else". Maybe you are the only one you know of out there but what stops you from calling for assistance from the closest PD or Sheriff Office when needed? In that sense, you truly are not by yourself. What about a deputy or officer who patrols the county by himself, or does that not 'count' for some reason? Or the officer or deputy going to some robbery/heated domestic/traffic stop etc. can have their back up several miles away? Whats the difference?

                              In above post, you said you helped "BFE cop" with an arrest? So you were his back up right?

                              Also you posted "not all know what to do". What do you mean?
                              Nothing stops me from asking for assistance. Problem is closest PD or deputy may be miles and miles away, hence the reasoning for not having the luxury of waiting for said back-up, especially when the other party involved doesn't feel like waiting either....

                              As far as the deputy who patrols by himself...he also is faced with the same dilemma, only difference is I patrol two counties and sometimes a good portion of a thrid sometimes by myself, depending on the shift.

                              The deputy whose back-up is several miles away is also in the same boat as me. Most S.O.s around here have more then one deputy on duty and respond to major calls with back-up. If I'm not busy on a call, I respond as well. In the more rural areas there maybe just one deputy on duty or just as easily no deputies on duty and only one Trooper, depends on the county......either way it is up to each individual LEO to handle his business as he sees fit, with or without back up. My agency choose to prepare me how they saw fit, while other academies may be less stressful or strict, I'm glad I received the training I got. If others can feel confident in their abilities to handle whatever comes down the pipe working alone, by attending a less vigorous academy setting......more power to them.

                              Out of respect for said officer I will not comment in detail on the why.......but I was not his back-up.....and I didn’t help with an arrest, I made the arrest.

                              On your last question, I will simply say I’m trained the same as everyone else I work with, I have a experienced few different academies, not all have the same standards.

                              What do you do for a living?
                              Last edited by statebear; 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM. Reason: added content

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                                Geezus, we get it. You think it's hazing. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of training you must've gone through.
                                My training was more about what i will face on the streets or a highway, than the hazing above. My training was too the point and it was very good training. No time did I felt like I was a frat pledge fixing to embark on a term of hazing. Don't get me wrong the PT was hard but no time did I felt like I was seeing hazing.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 6837 users online. 369 members and 6468 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X