Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At most state police academies, one cadet gets hospitalized from training it’s a problem of concern, two and you’re looking at possibly shutting down training to review policy, three and a pattern of neglect and or failure to train and people are going to face disciplinary actions, four…
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

• Alabama had one to die from a heart attack sure change things for them. From what I hear anyway and these cases sure will when their families start hiring lawyers.

Comment

• "Constantia comes victoriae"

“Let the first act of every morning be to make the following resolve for the day:

- I shall not fear anyone on Earth.
        - I shall fear only God.
        - I shall not bear ill will toward anyone.
        - I shall not submit to injustice from anyone.
        - I shall conquer untruth by truth. And in resisting untruth, I shall put up with all suffering.”
        ― Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• http://blogs.clarionledger.com/crime...omething-good/

Comment

• How many are left now?
            Geaux Tigers

Comment

• I think last I heard it was 64 or around that number
              ATF Special Agent
              Application Submitted: February 28, 2012

Deputy US Marshal
              Application Submitted: March 5, 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxford30 View Post
                I think last I heard it was 64 or around that number
                That's about where they wanted it, right?
                http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

• Interesting comments by Ms. Apel.....

Unfortunately these days any sense of pride in yourself or agency leads to a sense of "elitism" among your peers. While any of us are far from being in the same category as SEALs, I see nothing wrong with an agency instilling a sense of pride and sacrifice in attaining a LE commission. While some may disagree with the methods or means, the fact remains whom ever applies and gets hired, goes through the process of their own free will. They can walk away at any time....So far it looks like somewhere around 64 folks have stayed the course. It doesn't appear the methods were "too tough" for them.

I have the experience of going through a regional LE academy which included area officers and deputies...etc., when I was commissioned as a city police officer years ago. Their was no camaraderie, pride or even a semblance of sacrifice in attaining our LE certifications. We simply showed up, went through the classes and went home at 1600. Physical fitness, uniform appearance or attention to detail was not stressed upon anyone. As a mater of fact, the State I worked in at the time allowed LEOs to work as LEOs for up to a year before even having to attend any academy training. I had gone through FTO and was on my own on patrol for about 8 months before I even attended the academy. So here I was getting lectured and taught things I had already performed or experienced working with the agency I was seeking a certification for....

There are plenty of good LEOs out there and you don't need to be trooper to be one of them. Just like there are plenty of good sailors out there and not all of them are SEALs.
                  If you want to be a Trooper, apply, get hired and endure the training. The reality is; there are folks who want the title/job, but don't want to endure any of the hardships that go along with it and the fact is those folks are no longer there and 60 something others are there in their place and for some reason that seems unfair to some.....

In the end whether you’re an officer, deputy or trooper, neither one of us have an easy job. Some of us do it with plenty of back-up close by and some of us do it with none. I feel comfortable doing my job by myself with the training I received. Is it ideal to be stopping or dealing with folks in some remote area with no back-up available........No. But it needs to be done, because, Joe citizen who pays his taxes and lives on “Middle-of-Nowhere Road“, expects the same level of patrol as the Joe who lives in the “Just-Outside-the City” sub-division does. So if you work alone and consistently find yourself dealing with folks on your own and feel comfortable with the training you received to do it.........more power to you. Chances are I won’t be there and neither will anyone else on here be there to help you, the only thing that you will have is your training, hopefully it will be enough.......

In sum, as some of you know, I have no dog in this fight; I'm, just trying to offer some opinion and insight from someone who has been on both sides of the fence.

Stay safe.
                  Last edited by statebear; 08-16-2011, 05:23 PM. Reason: typo discovered

Comment

• Funny thing is, I've worked a ton of horrible accidents, too. However, I will say this. I had more backup than I needed while I was doing it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                      Funny thing is, I've worked a ton of horrible accidents, too. However, I will say this. I had more backup than I needed while I was doing it.
                      Try working one of those by yourself, out in the middle of nowhere at 0300 hours, after you have been awakened from a dead sleep, at your house because there are no troopers on duty and you’re on call.

Been there done that. Granted the S.O. will send a couple guys to help with traffic control, but as far as investigating, documenting and notifying. That’s all on you and you alone....oh and by the way if you have any questions or concerns, your supervisor and your co-workers are all at home asleep. No getting on the radio and having so and so respond to your location, its all on you to figure it out.

I could PM you all sorts of stories Lt.......
                      Last edited by statebear; 08-16-2011, 05:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Oh, I have no doubts about it. I've heard the stories. That's why I didn't really criticize the author for being biased. I know they do a good bit. No delusions here

Comment

• We all do a good bit brother, some of us do with more, some of us do it with less. In the end all that matters is that whatever "the bit" is, it gets taken care of and if help is needed I may call on you or a deputy to get the job done. Hence the reasoning I always try and make myself available to return the favor at any given time. I have to do my job alone by necessity, but that doesn’t mean I would not take a helping hand when and if it’s offered......

Comment

• Recent MHP news, page 2 contains statements from the former assistant commissioner of DPS and the former president of the MS Troopers Association speak of politics in MHP.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...news|text|Home

Comment

• Not really surprised.

Comment

• You're not the only one.

Does anyone have a head-count on trooper school? I was curious if the drop out rate had leveled off.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9831 users online. 497 members and 9334 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X