Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day 1 of MHP Patrol School (pictures)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
    Facebook is dangerous.
    Damn sure is. All social media has the potential to make or break you. They put it out there and it backfired.
    http://www.tigalaya.com/index

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
      If they gave deputies radar, there would be no future for MHP. Legislators wouldn't like that. It's like Reservoir Patrol. Just lower level marine patrol and part time park rangers. Reservoir Patrol is useless, IMHO.
      In both states I have worked in the S.O.s ran radar and both states have HP agencies. If anything I wuld think it would help the MHP. Deputies work traffic in my state as far as enforcement, they don't work crashes, at least the non-metro S.O.s don't. I think it helps over here that a citizen knows he can get popped for speeding by the S.O., just the same as by a Trooper or city cop. In the end it's all about keeping folks slowed down, I don't care if its the S.O. or me getting it done.......now if I could just get them to shag some wrecks..............things would be golden!

      What the heck is the Reservoir Patrol?

      Comment


      • Well, it wasn't 1400 applicants...it was more like 610 (straight from HQ). The fact that 140 or so get a shot out of 610 is pretty good odds when you consider the minimal qualifications to just apply are so low. Pretty much anybody 23 or older and in some cases even younger. Essentially if you can pass the background, relatively low PT for entry, etc you should get a chance. Being that over 10% of the initial applicants get a job doesn't make it that exclusive of a process...some state and local agencies are well under 5% and most federal agencies are well under 1% with much higher thresholds to apply.

        MHP is a great organization and we should let them train the way the want to. If it works for them it really isn't anybody's place to say otherwise. Simply put, if you don't want to go through their academy don't apply. IMO, paramilitary training is by far the best training paradigm for leo's of all walks. You can teach somebody how to be a cop on FTO, the academy is where you decide you gets to learn later on.

        Don't understand the comment about the feds, they only make 140K a year even in non-supervisory positions and in the right environment (Operation Falcon, some of violent crime DEA and ATF groups, etc) they keep an operational pace that even state and local officers can't hope to match. I know a fed from my old department has been in two shootings since 2008, and has probably been the point man on no less than 150 search and arrest warrants that typically involve habitual violent felons with firearms. There is a reason that 100K plus cops a year apply for those positions.
        Last edited by sj101; 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by sj101 View Post
          Well, it wasn't 1400 applicants...it was more like 610 (straight from HQ). The fact that 140 or so get a shot out of 610 is pretty good odds when you consider the minimal qualifications to just apply are so low. Pretty much anybody 23 or older and in some cases even younger. Essentially if you can pass the background, relatively low PT for entry, etc you should get a chance. Being that over 10% of the initial applicants get a job doesn't make it that exclusive of a process...some state and local agencies are well under 5% and most federal agencies are well under 1% with much higher thresholds to apply.

          MHP is a great organization and we should let them train the way the want to. If it works for them it really isn't anybody's place to say otherwise. Simply put, if you don't want to go through their academy don't apply. IMO, paramilitary training is by far the best training paradigm for leo's of all walks. You can teach somebody how to be a cop on FTO, the academy is where you decide you gets to learn later on.

          Don't understand the comment about the feds, they only make 140K a year even in non-supervisory positions and in the right environment (Operation Falcon, some of violent crime DEA and ATF groups, etc) they keep an operational pace that even state and local officers can't hope to match. I know a fed from my old department has been in two shootings since 2008, and has probably been the point man on no less than 150 search and arrest warrants that typically involve habitual violent felons with firearms. There is a reason that 100K plus cops a year apply for those positions.
          Well I was told 1400 people applied and that came straight from the Captain of the academy. Also I wouldn't say anybody under 23 with a good background would get hired. Pretty much every cadet at the academy either had military,law enforcement experience or college. I have no problem with a paramitary academy, however when there are cadets going to the hospital because of kidney failure there is an issue and something should be done about it. MHP can claim it was lack of physical condition all they want. But the truth is it was lack of hydration and proper supervision. The residents of the state do have some say so in the Academy, after all it is our taxes that pay for it.

          Comment


          • He likely just told you that to highlight selectivity so you'd be more appreciative of the process. I have heard 600 from pretty much everybody in the agency, here it is yet again on this very board from a trooper-

            "612 I believe, could be wrong but it was around that number."

            http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...applying/page3

            And again, those were just the gross aps. Less than 550 (because you were numbered) actually ended up taking the test. Wouldn't make sense that 1400 would apply but only 550 would be around to test or 400 or so would be around to PT, would it?

            I know two individuals in this academy. One has no military or LE background, he was a senior at State. The other had no military, little college and approximately one year at a sheriff's department.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by mach1 View Post
              I know there was at least one Gulfport PD guy at patrol school. Is he still there?
              Yes, he is still at patrol school.
              Geaux Tigers

              Comment


              • Originally posted by mach1 View Post
                Well I was told 1400 people applied and that came straight from the Captain of the academy. Also I wouldn't say anybody under 23 with a good background would get hired. Pretty much every cadet at the academy either had military,law enforcement experience or college. I have no problem with a paramitary academy, however when there are cadets going to the hospital because of kidney failure there is an issue and something should be done about it. MHP can claim it was lack of physical condition all they want. But the truth is it was lack of hydration and proper supervision. The residents of the state do have some say so in the Academy, after all it is our taxes that pay for it.
                What do you care? Seriously. I couldn't care less how the state runs their academy where I am. No concern to me. If you don't like it, don't go. Sounds like another guy who is bitter about not making it.
                For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

                "Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                  What do you care? Seriously. I couldn't care less how the state runs their academy where I am. No concern to me. If you don't like it, don't go. Sounds like another guy who is bitter about not making it.
                  Well I care because 1 person is probably going to be on dialysis for the rest of his life. That and like I said the resident's of Mississippi pay taxes for the academy, so I have a right to care. Only thing I am bitter about is that I arrived in good enough shape to pass the final physical fitness standards test and I was told that wasnt good enough. That I would be sent home the next week, that I shouldn't waste my time.

                  Comment


                  • Lots more good pictures on www.mstroopers.com

                    They were boxing in the latest pics
                    Geaux Tigers

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by mach1 View Post
                      Well I care because 1 person is probably going to be on dialysis for the rest of his life. That and like I said the resident's of Mississippi pay taxes for the academy, so I have a right to care. Only thing I am bitter about is that I arrived in good enough shape to pass the final physical fitness standards test and I was told that wasnt good enough. That I would be sent home the next week, that I shouldn't waste my time.
                      You should have stayed. They tell a lot of people that. It is a test to see how bad you want to be a trooper.
                      Geaux Tigers

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by GC Tiger View Post
                        You should have stayed. They tell a lot of people that. It is a test to see how bad you want to be a trooper.
                        I agree, they were able to fool several people with that. It's probably for the best, after working for Biloxi for the 3 years, MHP would have been to slow paced for me. To bad there is a hiring freeze for Biloxi, if not I would go back.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mach1 View Post
                          Well I care because 1 person is probably going to be on dialysis for the rest of his life. That and like I said the resident's of Mississippi pay taxes for the academy, so I have a right to care. Only thing I am bitter about is that I arrived in good enough shape to pass the final physical fitness standards test and I was told that wasnt good enough. That I would be sent home the next week, that I shouldn't waste my time.
                          So you're mad you couldn't hack it. Move on. Life goes on. Im sick of the taxpayer bs. I get it. We all pay taxes. Doesn't mean what you think is the right way is.
                          For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

                          "Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by mach1 View Post
                            Well I care because 1 person is probably going to be on dialysis for the rest of his life. That and like I said the resident's of Mississippi pay taxes for the academy, so I have a right to care. Only thing I am bitter about is that I arrived in good enough shape to pass the final physical fitness standards test and I was told that wasnt good enough. That I would be sent home the next week, that I shouldn't waste my time.
                            I take it this is the first academy you've ever been to. I've talked to a guy that dropped out. He said that the guys that went to the hospital all went because of their failure to hydrate. He told me that the staff gave them plenty of opportunities for water, but they didn't take them because they were either too scared or wanted to be billy bad-***.
                            http://www.tigalaya.com/index

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by GC Tiger View Post
                              Lots more good pictures on www.mstroopers.com

                              They were boxing in the latest pics
                              I remember boxing day at MLEOTA. It was in the evening. We had JUST gotten done with getting OC certified. That was horrible.
                              http://www.tigalaya.com/index

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                                I take it this is the first academy you've ever been to. I've talked to a guy that dropped out. He said that the guys that went to the hospital all went because of their failure to hydrate. He told me that the staff gave them plenty of opportunities for water, but they didn't take them because they were either too scared or wanted to be billy bad-***.
                                No its not my first academy, I went to SRPSI at Camp Shelby in 2007 and worked on the coast for three years. I then moved to Alaska, went to their state academy (for a city department) and worked there for 10 months. Alaska was not for me and I moved my family back to Mississippi. I will say this about Alaska, they are way far ahead in the caliber of instruction and training that I received in Mississippi. I cant speak for MLEOTA because I did not attend there academy. They were very Professional at the academy and if you had Experience you were treated like you did. The Alaska State Trooper's job is just as hard and dangerous as MHP if not more dangerous. They are not training the way MHP does, because they have changed with the times. MHP refuses to change, because they claim their academy makes better troopers. The truth is it hasnt changed because the past troopers would cry about it.

                                I think that is a problem if you have cadets afraid to ask for water. I was also there and I dont think there was enough time to hydrate. But everyone has their own opinion.
                                Last edited by mach1; 07-26-2011, 09:23 PM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10017 users online. 442 members and 9575 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X