Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something that has had me scratching my head for awhile now........Just how many did they start the class with? 100+

If so, dang........over in my neck woods, if we get 40 to make it through the hiring process we are lucky. My class started with 32 and graduated 23. I think the largest class we have ever had was maybe 60 people and I think that was a stretch. We currently employ over 1,000 Troopers statewide, how many Troopers are there in MS, give or take?

Comment

• Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
      Great thread.

IMO the Patrol has their own reasons for the style of training they provide but that many people dropping or being placed in the hospital is a real eye opener.

Just because "that is the way we always trained" doesn't mean the Patrol can't evolve in certain aspects of training to keep cadets safer.

Also - they wasted a ton of time/money hiring a ton of people that dropped, maybe improve the screening/testing process to reduce number of dropouts. Seems like PT is killing most of the people, probably need to increase minimum standards.

Anyway....good luck all!
      You hit the nail on the head, the pt standards are 8 min mile, 20 push ups and 20 sit ups. For the intensity of training at the academy, a more realistic pt test would be 6 min mile, 70 push ups and 70 sit ups. Standards that high would never pass in the state legislator. I wouldn't doubt there is some change coming tho after the media attention this class is getting.

Comment

• Originally posted by statebear View Post
        Something that has had me scratching my head for awhile now........Just how many did they start the class with? 100+

If so, dang........over in my neck woods, if we get 40 to make it through the hiring process we are lucky. My class started with 32 and graduated 23. I think the largest class we have ever had was maybe 60 people and I think that was a stretch. We currently employ over 1,000 Troopers statewide, how many Troopers are there in MS, give or take?
        The class started with 96, I believe 40 alternates were added the first week do to cadets leaving. There is approximately 500 MHP Troopers.
        Last edited by mach1; 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mach1 View Post
          The class started with 96, I believe 40 alternates were added the first week do to cadets leaving. There is approximately 500 MHP Troopers.
          Which really is a shame. We also don't allow our deputies to run radar. The traffic laws in this state are certainly not designed to save lives and reduce crashes.
          Geaux Tigers

Comment

• Originally posted by GC Tiger View Post
            Which really is a shame. We also don't allow our deputies to run radar. The traffic laws in this state are certainly not designed to save lives and reduce crashes.
            GC Tiger your are correct, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a trooper in Harrison County. The highways and interstates that are not in city limits are like speedways. I know there was at least one Gulfport PD guy at patrol school. Is he still there?

Comment

I see......

Interesting......we don't use alternates over here. You either get hired or you don't.

Comment

• No radar for the county guys?

Why?

Comment

• That is the current state law. Many have tried to get it changed, but good ole boy politics are strong.
                  Geaux Tigers

Comment

• Originally posted by statebear View Post
                    I see......

Interesting......we don't use alternates over here. You either get hired or you don't.
                    Your academy also doesnt have over a 50% drop out rate. Because of the shenanigans. I believe 1400 people applied for the position, and 140 were selected. How many applicants does your agency normal have for 30 positions.

Statebear the state is very slow to change. Examples MHP Patrol School and No radar for deputes.

Comment

Your academy also doesnt have over a 50% drop out rate. Because of the shenanigans. I believe 1400 people applied for the position, and 140 were selected. How many applicants does your agency normal have for 30 positions.

Statebear the state is very slow to change. Examples MHP Patrol School and No radar for deputes.
                      You know it's hard to say how many we hire due to openings. I honestly believe our mindset is to hire as many qualified applicants that we can get. The caveat being, our hiring standards are very strict.

I have heard of stories of folks having to apply a few times before they are hired, some get on the first time through. I think we look at each person and try to make the best judgment we can about the person’s ethics, morals and reasoning for wanting to be a Trooper and try and make the best decision. No system is perfect and some good folks get left out, while some not so good slip through. The not so good ones usually get weeded out in the academy or ultimately on FTO. The good ones reapply and get on later or in some instances move on to someplace else, which is a shame, but as stated earlier no system is perfect....
                      Last edited by statebear; 07-21-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• "The good ones reapply and get on later or in some instances move on to someplace else, which is a shame, but as stated earlier no system is perfect.... "

Not with humans involved.
                        Geaux Tigers

Comment

• Same in PA...only PSP

Originally posted by statebear View Post
                          No radar for the county guys?

Why?

Comment

• If they gave deputies radar, there would be no future for MHP. Legislators wouldn't like that. It's like Reservoir Patrol. Just lower level marine patrol and part time park rangers. Reservoir Patrol is useless, IMHO.
                            http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

• And you won't see ribs of troopers on the coast for a while. K troop is the troop hurting bad from what I hear.

And you know this publicity is hurting them bad. They shouldn't have put it on facebook
                              http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

• Facebook is dangerous.

Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                                And you won't see ribs of troopers on the coast for a while. K troop is the troop hurting bad from what I hear.

And you know this publicity is hurting them bad. They shouldn't have put it on facebook

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4870 users online. 223 members and 4647 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X