Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It should be pointed out that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I have been on so many calls with the sheriffs department and city that I couldnt keep count. As have other Troopers here in MS. And thats not even counting the numerous call outs that I have been on with the SOG Team or the Explosive Detection Unit.

Originally posted by mach1 View Post
    It also should be pointed out that MHP is not full service as in they only do traffic. They are not responding to high risk crimes. Im sure that has alot to do with line of duty deaths. Maybe thats why they over compensate with the academy

Comment

• We take pride in the number of quality Troopers we graduate not the number that we drop. For two years I worked a county that has a higher crime rate and murder rate per capita than Detroit, New Orleans, and other big cities. Been plenty of studies on that. But you do have one thing right, the population here in MS does respect MHP.

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      I have no dog in this race BUT...... Last time I checked, this was an open message/board. I just find it silly that you guys do crap like that and take pride at the number of folks you drop.......

Low numbers of officers down could easily be wrote off as you guys aren't making a ton of stops, you guys aren't engaing in lots of bad guys, the population down there respects cops more so than other places, etc..... Once again, neither of us have any studys to back that...... So trying to toss it off completely on training isn't going to work......

Comment

• Originally posted by MrP46 View Post
        It should be pointed out that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I have been on so many calls with the sheriffs department and city that I couldnt keep count. As have other Troopers here in MS. And thats not even counting the numerous call outs that I have been on with the SOG Team or the Explosive Detection Unit.
        It should be pointed out, that your not in K Troop if you make that claim. Because I have first hand experience in being called out to make an arrest for a trooper that was on duty in uniform that witnessed a crime. Also cant comment on your explosive detection team because the Biloxi Bomb team handles the bomb calls on the coast. Dont get me started on the sog team, I hope they improved their attitude since Aug 2005. Maybe I shouldn't generalize my feelings on the actions of K Troop. I am sure there are many fine hard working troopers, I just haven't met one.

I have serious question and Im not asking it to be an ***. Do they teach report writing, domestic violence calls and other crimes at patrol school?

Comment

We take pride in the number of quality Troopers we graduate not the number that we drop. .
          I'd really take pride in saying that....especially since it appears that only PT Studs can pass.... Hate to break it to you but I'd much rather have someone with a brain....over a muscle head. Most muscle heads want to fight...and opt not to use the thing 4 feet above their *** to think.......

Comment

• Originally posted by mach1 View Post
            It should be pointed out, that your not in K Troop if you make that claim.

Opps....

Comment

• Originally posted by statebear View Post
              Don't know what you're trying to say? I thought all of us were the police, whether you're an officer, deputy or trooper. If your inferring Troopers don't do "real police work" then I will humor you and tell you I was the so called "police " way before I became a Trooper........can't say I miss being the "police" either.....

If and when I do, I simply listen to my city/county radio, respond (to mostly high risk crimes in progress), help out and go 10-8 minus the paperwork, I don't respond to the routine calls, because normally assistance is not needed on those, but there are times all the deputies are 10-6 and they request us to respond to routine calls, which we handle.....to which my philosophy is, if I respond and I'm the first one there and an arrest needs to be made.....I make it. We are not required to wait for anyone to get there, I don't care if it's a city or out in the county. I clean what I catch.....

Hell, Bearcat, worked in an area where some counties didn't even have a deputy on duty sometimes and the Trooper (I know it's hard for you to believe) was the only POLICE!

But then again, I can not comment intelligently on how the Troopers in MS work, so I’ll capitulate to you and let you fill me in...

Either way, I would refrain from making such broad statements about Troopers......(if you meant all Troopers)
              I'm not knocking the Mississippi Highway Patrol because it isn't their job. But that's my point, they do mostly wrecks and tickets. I have many friends within MHP, both red and yellow legs. P46 is a good friend of mine, and he knows what I mean. I like disturbances and burglaries and being a community style police officer. I guess I should've held out on the "being the police" comment, apologies for that, but that's exactly my point. If I wanted to work trafic and only traffic, MHP would be the way to go. They have great looking cars, the best uniforms, and excellent pay. But I gotta be honest, I like the position that I have now.
              http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

• Originally posted by mach1 View Post
                It also should be pointed out that MHP is not full service as in they only do traffic. They are not responding to high risk crimes. Im sure that has alot to do with line of duty deaths. Maybe thats why they over compensate with the academy
                They do if they want to. It's just hard to find many that are either close enough to help or actually wanna help.

Comment

• Thank you Mississippi for helping make the rest of the South look better! I thought it was a shame we were ten years behind the rest of the country in modern police science, but congratulations for being stuck in the 70’s, outstanding!

Oh, I bet its all of those pushups that caused “And do you think its luck that MHP hasnt lost a Trooper to gunfire since 1987????” it made them bullet proof, that must be it.
                  Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Comment

We take pride in the number of quality Troopers we graduate not the number that we drop. For two years I worked a county that has a higher crime rate and murder rate per capita than Detroit, New Orleans, and other big cities. Been plenty of studies on that. But you do have one thing right, the population here in MS does respect MHP.
                    Maybe you should've have stayed in your "higher crime rated county"...?

What respect I had for MSP, just lost in there buddy. You are making this bigger then it seems to be. Every agency should and does take pride in who they allow to grad. Not just your agency. Take a step back and realize you are in a room full of LEO's on here. Think about it.
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• I hope that MHP has learned how to respond to hurricanes since Katrina.
                      Geaux Tigers

Comment

• Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                        I'm not knocking the Mississippi Highway Patrol because it isn't their job. But that's my point, they do mostly wrecks and tickets. I have many friends within MHP, both red and yellow legs. P46 is a good friend of mine, and he knows what I mean. I like disturbances and burglaries and being a community style police officer. I guess I should've held out on the "being the police" comment, apologies for that, but that's exactly my point. If I wanted to work trafic and only traffic, MHP would be the way to go. They have great looking cars, the best uniforms, and excellent pay. But I gotta be honest, I like the position that I have now.

Okay.....I get you now. No apology needed, but unfortunately there are some folks on this site (not saying you) that like to insinuate that unless your popping dope dealers, murderers or preventing bank robberies everyday you are not doing “real police work.“ As if the guy working crashes, scratching out cites and having to knock on doors to tell folks their loved one is dead, is just wasting his time......

Fact is, I enjoy working traffic, I don't know many Troopers that don't, hence the reasons they became Troopers in the first place. Does that mean we turn the blinders on to other crimes? No, at least I don't. It just means I prefer to concentrate my efforts on traffic related things and if something criminal occurs in the process.......well that's just gravy.

I did what you're doing now, for 5 years. I decided working a beat, being micro-managed by supervisors and being restricted to the city limits or maybe in your case the county line was not my cup of tea. You say you enjoy going on domestics, burgs..etc.... You can still do that as a Trooper if you want, but with the added freedom of not having somebody looking over your shoulder the entire time and the variety of patrolling various cities or counties. My very first arrest as a Trooper while I was on FTO wasn't even a traffic related charge.....

As far as us helping out when you guys need help, you're right, it's hard to be at the right place at the right time in a position to help everytime. I'm assigned to two counties; the chances of me being Johnny on the spot when someone needs help are slim. However, when the call comes out and an LEO (regardless of agency) needs assistance I don't care how many miles are between us.......I'm getting there! BTDT when I went on duty one night and not seconds after I heard a deputy was fighting one in my patrol area. I was a county and half away.............let's just say, my antennas were bent back and it didn't take me very long to get there.....

Take care and stay safe. In the end all we have is each other....
                        Last edited by statebear; 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• I know troopers do what they can to help out. As far as being micromanaged, I can understand that. I've had those supervisors. Luckily, I've gone through the ranks all the way to Lieutenant now and don't have to worry about people breathing down my neck. I also make sure not to do the same crap to my guys that was done to me when I was coming through.

Back on topic for a second, I know there's a ton of guys that don't agree with MHPs methods, but they work. Apparently. But I guess I just don't see the big deal. If these guys wanna get burned for 22 weeks to learn how to say "S.O. you got a deputy on scene?", good for them. (That was for you P46 lol)

Comment

• Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                            Luckily, I've gone through the ranks all the way to Lieutenant now and don't have to worry about people breathing down my neck.
                            Well, you need to update your user name to "Young Lt." then.............sir.

Originally posted by Young SGT View Post
                            I also make sure not to do the same crap to my guys that was done to me when I was coming through.
                            Awesome! Always enjoy working for folks who don't forget what it was like to work in the trenches. Not many of you guys left out there....
                            Last edited by statebear; 07-20-2011, 10:19 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by statebear View Post
                              Well, you need to update your user name to "Young Lt." then.............sir.
                              Lol, I've thought about that.

Originally posted by statebear View Post
                              Awesome! Always enjoy working for folks who don't forget what it was like to work in the trenches. Not many of you guys left out there....
                              Believe me, I know.

Comment

• Great thread.

IMO the Patrol has their own reasons for the style of training they provide but that many people dropping or being placed in the hospital is a real eye opener.

Just because "that is the way we always trained" doesn't mean the Patrol can't evolve in certain aspects of training to keep cadets safer.

Also - they wasted a ton of time/money hiring a ton of people that dropped, maybe improve the screening/testing process to reduce number of dropouts. Seems like PT is killing most of the people, probably need to increase minimum standards.

Anyway....good luck all!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8311 users online. 287 members and 8024 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X