300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cops move to Mississippi?

I am a cop in northern California and am looking to move to the south. I have looked into TX and Florida, but am keeping MS in mind.

One thing that concerned me with TX was the "at will" and lack of unions/civil service departments. How are the working conditions in MS? The pay is decent (considering) and one department told me I won't need to go through another academy, which is a plus.

I spent some time in Biloxi when I was in the Air Force, so may consider that area.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

There are some civil service departments here in MS. I'm not sure about Biloxi but Gulfport is civil service, But MS is also an "at will" state. Gulfport pays around 37,500 for a grade 3 patrolman (2 yrs experience). I believe Biloxi pay is a little higher than that, but their pay scales are very good for the area.

MS does except out of state certifications. You will only need to attend a 3 week course to learn MS law.
    Last edited by WPD PD-123; 06-20-2011, 06:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

If you're POST certified, you'll have no problems with a transfer.
      http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

Awesome. Thanks.

Comment

Gulfport and Biloxi both love laterals. Both departments have take home cars and they buy all your equipment. At Gulfport all you need to provide is your underwear and socks.
          Geaux Tigers

Comment

Gulfport PD is an outstanding organization. I started my career with them and I have nothing but praise for the men and women there. Harrison County Sheriff's Department is another great organization. All of the Biloxi officers I have known have been happy with their department as well.
            "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

This is sort of along the lines of a question I have so here goes: A female I work with just got hired as a federal special agent. Her duty assignment will be Jackson, MS. She is from the Atlanta area and of course, like most, have not one but two houses here which she can not possibly sell. She was looking for nothing more than a room to stay in that would be more economical than renting an apartment while she attempts to get transferred back to the Atlanta area. If anyone in the Jackson area knows of any place or anyone that could use a tempory roomate or knows of a very cheap place to stay, she would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
              God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

How is the cost of living in the Gulfport/Biloxi area. I currently make 45k, however, I live in a suburb of chicago so cost of living is above average. Just seeing if you guys make a decent living with the salary? thanks

Comment

Gulfport might. Central MS is horriible
                  http://www.tigalaya.com/index

Comment

Biloxi starts out at around $36,000, if your a lateral its $38,000 I think. Patrol tops out around $40,000. There are some K9 guys at Biloxi making $70,000 with overtime from the training and other things. Biloxi has a hiring freeze with no end in sight. I believe Gulfport Starts out at $34,000 and tops out at $37,000. I have a 2,000 sqft house and paid $100k, just to give an example for the cost of living.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12256 users online. 429 members and 11827 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X