300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St.Louis County

I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on the St.Louis County Sheriffs Department. They are testing soon and I am looking for information on things like what schedule type they work (IE 5 on 4 off 10 hrs). What ares do they patrol and what cities do they contract with? Were do the new officers end up and does the county have take home squad cars? Is the equipment up to date (squad cars and computers)? Any information people could provide would be very helpful.

I think you may be hard pressed to get anything on St Louis county here. I would try calling them up and ask to speak with someone regarding those issues. If your applying with them it shouldn't be a problem to get that info. Just my 2 cents.
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

St. Louis County

I grew up just south of St. Louis County, but it has been a few years since I have spent much time up in that area. Anyway, they definitely do have some take home cars. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, St. Louis County is huge. It is so large that they have, or at least had, two different 911 PSAPs. The southern one is in Duluth, of course, and the northern one is Midway. Back in the day some folks would even describe it as being two different SOs. One for the Duluth area and the other one for the Iron Range. Anyway, again I am pointing out the obvious, but it would be a good idea to do a couple of ride alongs there. At least one with someone out of the Duluth office and another one on the north end. Because it is such a large area you very well may be the only cop on calls for a long time. Your back up sometimes might be a trooper a half hour away, or more, coming from Ely. I am not sure how they are doing on computers in the car, but it was a very difficult county for radio communications back when. They have many tower sites, but still have a heck of a time covering most of the county. I think cell phone coverage can still be pretty tough in certain parts of the county. I went to some training a while back with someone who grew up there, went military, and then came back to work there in the 80s or 90s and he said that it was like stepping back in time, to the 1950s. I am not saying that to be critical, but just realistically. I am sure things have improved since then, but the bottom line remains it is a very large area to cover with not enough deputies. Yeah, I know everyone says that about there areas and agencies, so maybe it is just a reality of law enforcement today. I am sure most people familiar with St. Louis County have heard the stories about driving red lights and siren for a half hour, stopping at a Holiday for fuel, and then continuing red lights and siren to the call are still somewhat accurate to this day.

Comment

When I head up there to visit, I regularly see new sheriff's cars. I've seen quite a few Chargers actually too. As for any other info, can't help ya much there.
        "Marge, you being a cop makes you the man! Which makes me the woman--and I have no interest in that, besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which as we discussed is strictly a comfort thing!"--Homer Simpson

Comment

One of my great "what ifs" was St. Louis County. I applied in April or May 2004, tested, and didn't hear anything for about three months. Then I got a letter saying I was ranked #45, but I had to become POST-eligible within 30 days. I took and passed the POST test in August 2004, sent them my eligibility letter, and received a background packet in the mail, with instructions to complete the packet but not to return it until requested.
          I was moving and eventually threw the packet away.

Fast forward to early 2005. I get a call from a St. Louis County Sgt.
          She says, "we're doing backgrounds, and we got to your name on the list. I don't have your application in front of me, so can you tell me about yourself?"
          I respond, "well, first you should know that I've been a full-time Deputy with the XXXXX Sheriff's Office for a about four months now."

Needless to say, I didn't continue with the process, but sometimes wonder how things might be different!

Their web site answers a lot of your questions:
          http://www.stlouiscounty.org/slcport...3/Default.aspx
          "All government agencies, whether they be police, fire, sanitation, parks, etc., operate on a budget. That budget provides funding for them to employ a specific number of people. The can't just add someone to their staff because he speaks three languages or has a neat haircut."

Comment

I know of at least one road deputy who is working 12 hr rotating shifts.

Comment

The county is up to date and has very well trained deputies. I know because I have lived there my whole life. All cars have computers, and yes they work just fine. Concerning red lights to gas stations.....well, lets just say thats urban rumor BULLS#%T. I will say this though......the last thing St. Louis Cnty needs is city slikers with attitudes. Do your research and ask around, St. Louis is a stand up depaartment hand down.

Comment

"City slickers"..huh a big mouth for a student! Come ride in the the cities once and see if you keep shooting your mouth off!

Comment

Originally posted by DepHC444 View Post
                  "City slickers"..huh a big mouth for a student! Come ride in the the cities once and see if you keep shooting your mouth off!
                  Not a student, just have not cared to update my profile. I would rather die than work in a cest pool like that. No thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by The State View Post
                    Not a student, just have not cared to update my profile. I would rather die than work in a cest pool like that. No thank you.
                    You probably couldn't keep up anyway...so please stay where you are at. Lots of good speeding tags you can write up there I bet. Oh and crashes, dui's, and equipment violations sorry forgot about those.

Comment

I'm glad your not a student. You would give us a bad name.

Comment

Originally posted by The State View Post
                        I would rather die than work in a cest pool like that. No thank you.

Comment

Can't we all just get along...
                          "Marge, you being a cop makes you the man! Which makes me the woman--and I have no interest in that, besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which as we discussed is strictly a comfort thing!"--Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by HCdetdep View Post
                            Can't we all just get along...
                            good thinkin......in fact, I was very out of place making a comment like that......you are right, I probley would not make it 5 minn down there. The things you deal with in the cities does not even come close to what I come in contact with....so here it is: I am sorry for being rude. My mistake. Very unprofessional of me to say.....I have nothing but respect for all LE's out there doing this job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4540 users online. 210 members and 4330 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X