Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburban p.d hiring process

Hello again,

After an individual finishes schooling and skills (CCJLE, Alexandria, etc), they sit for the POST exam, correct?

After passing POST licensure and applying for a suburban police department, does the new officer begin field training right away?

Suburban departments don't have any additional academy, do they?

What about cities like Minneapolis and St. Paul? I know Minneapolis used to have their own academy which got new hires POST licensed without going through MCTC skills training. Since they aren't having this program anymore, will POST licensed individuals start directly in field training or will they still go through some type of academy?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Minneapolis, St. Paul, and State Patrol all have academies. Some of the officers on here from those agencies can fill you in on the culture of the academy.

I don't know of any other agencies in the state that have an academy. You usually have a week or two of "admin" type training (paperwork, HR, etc.), then start FTO.

Good luck!
    Last edited by gopherpuckfan; 06-06-2007, 10:08 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Yes both Minneapolis and St Paul have their own academies, as does State Patrol. MPLS has a Cadet class getting ready to graduate in a few weeks. The Cadets had not taken the POST test before they entered the Academy, I don't know if there will be another Cadet class in the future or not...I've heard things going both ways...only time will tell.
      "I didn't hit her so you can't take me to jail!"

"Be nice and loosen these cuffs up....come'on I was nice and tried not to bleed on the hood of your car."

Comment

good luck getting into a suburb city. the competition is really tough. nearly every city has about 50 or so guys applying for an opening. i've been trying since october to get into the suburbs but now, just about any town in Minnesota will due.

Comment

nearly every city has about 50 or so guys applying for an opening. i
          I think you are shooting very low in your estimate!

Good luck everyone, a lot of openings closed recently.

Hope to see a lot of "Start next week" posts coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by MNCopper View Post
            Yep... Lakeville's recent process had 83 applicants for the first round, down to 15 for the second round. No idea on the third round, as I didn't make it into that phase.

Shakopee's had to have had even more than that... 3 days of interviews X 3 simultaneous panels @ 20 minutes per interview = a LOT of applicants.

For the original question: For St Paul's academy, you need to pass the POST test to be hired. Their academy gives you a LOT more/harsher training than you get through "skills", before they let you out on the street with an FTO.

Comment

Originally posted by IT2PD View Post

For the original question: For St Paul's academy, you need to pass the POST test to be hired. Their academy gives you a LOT more/harsher training than you get through "skills", before they let you out on the street with an FTO.
              St Pauls academy is a walk in the park compared to Minneapolis's academy! I thought the academy for Minneapolis was tougher than going through Basic Training in the military...

"Be nice and loosen these cuffs up....come'on I was nice and tried not to bleed on the hood of your car."

Comment

Originally posted by AmnSJL View Post
                St Pauls academy is a walk in the park compared to Minneapolis's academy! I thought the academy for Minneapolis was tougher than going through Basic Training in the military...
                oh come on.....MPD's acedemy is not as tough as military basic training......I would put it way above skills but still under what I went through in USAF basic training, although that is mainly because Basic training is 24/7 living in dorms, while MPD is only 40 hours a week.
                Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51 View Post
                  oh come on.....MPD's acedemy is not as tough as military basic training......I would put it way above skills but still under what I went through in USAF basic training, although that is mainly because Basic training is 24/7 living in dorms, while MPD is only 40 hours a week.

Tough talk from a bus driver!
                  sigpic

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Originally posted by MNCopper View Post

Good luck everyone, a lot of openings closed recently.

Hope to see a lot of "Start next week" posts coming up.
                    yeah i figured i was low. Wright county alone had 45 take the test, and Carver county had around 70 take the test a couple weeks ago.

I am curious how many interviewed in Shakopee. I saw 10 different guys in the 40 minutes i was there.

Comment

Originally posted by brianlee84 View Post
                      I am curious how many interviewed in Shakopee. I saw 10 different guys in the 40 minutes i was there.
                      It was 93 or 97. I can't remember which one.
                      Don't blame me, I voted McCain
                      ------------------------------------------
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH0BEoA9hsE

See if you can find the differences in these two pictures, I did.

http://members.home.nl/saen/Special/Zoeken.swf

Comment

I'm talking about the mental and physical part...I too went through USAF basic and I thought the PT and academics were a joke. But I do agree with the 40 hours a week statement you made.

Comment

is skills stressful? it kinda sounds like from other posts they don't grade you, they just teach you if you want to be taught. or their grading is very easy.
                          Don't blame me, I voted McCain
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH0BEoA9hsE

See if you can find the differences in these two pictures, I did.

http://members.home.nl/saen/Special/Zoeken.swf

Comment

Originally posted by BlackTalon View Post
                            Tough talk from a bus driver!
                            Bus driver?!?! ahhhhh I don't work at transit I work the same PCT and the same sector as you there black talon....
                            Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Bus driver?!?! ahhhhh I don't work at transit I work the same PCT and the same sector as you there black talon....
                              Ughh!! I know. I have to see you when I work

The comment was in reference to your Ralph Kramden looking, bus driver Class A's. From an Army vet, such as myself, that makes you a bus driver.

The Air Force is supposed to have the smart ones. Sheesh!
                              sigpic

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6421 users online. 374 members and 6047 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X