Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prairie Island Tribal Police Department

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prairie Island Tribal Police Department

    Does anyone know anything good or bad about working for a tribal police department? I know those of us without jobs shouldn't be picky, but any info. would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    I talk fairly often with the chief's wife at the local courthouse where she is a court clerk. It is a small department, but there will be plenty of work to do there. Meth has did that community hard and that includes all of the problems that go along with it. There will be your share of medicals, thefts, assaults, drugs, etc. (Actually MORE than your share compared to a similar sized non-tribal community.) I think they fully realize at both the PD and the tribal council that officers are going to use their department as a stepping stone to other police jobs.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for the information Jim. I grew up in the area, so i'm pretty familiar with the community, just not too familiar with the dept. I know they just started up about 2 years ago and originally hired some pretty experienced officers. Thank you for the response though.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have not worked for a Tribal PD but know people who have. Two words from their mouths: STAY AWAY.
        We intimidate those who intimidate others.

        Comment


        • #5
          Working for a tribe

          Most of my career was in small towns and I have no experience with the tribes.

          However with most small towns, officers generally have a closer relationship with residents than in large towns, and in a small town, arrest isn't always the answer. Flexibility and the ability to communicate effectively with the residents is crucial.

          Best wishes with your career.
          Last edited by JDSwens; 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Medici View Post
            I have not worked for a Tribal PD but know people who have. Two words from their mouths: STAY AWAY.
            Same here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Anyone apply for this department? Anyone hear anything?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jhelrey View Post
                Anyone apply for this department? Anyone hear anything?
                I did have not heard anything yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Tribal PDs are where you go to start when you can't get in anywhere else, or where you go to die if you get fired from a legitimate agency for misconduct or poor performance. Or you're just a glutton for punishment.
                  I have known guys that worked next to reservations, and they often talked with the tribal PD. If you're white, you're the enemy. Despite the fact that most residents are white, they still don't look at white people the same. You literally get treated like sh it. I've heard stories of people getting rocks thrown at them by multiple people and how they couldn't do anything about it, because they knew the tribal council would blame the cop for any force used. You arrest people, and the tribe lets them go without charges. Believe me- the horror stories go on and on and on.
                  You couldn't pay me enough to work on a tribal PD. Well, you COULD, but most places don't pay $250k/yr.
                  "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                  -John Adams


                  Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Reedo View Post
                    Tribal PDs are where you go to start when you can't get in anywhere else, or where you go to die if you get fired from a legitimate agency for misconduct or poor performance. Or you're just a glutton for punishment.
                    I have known guys that worked next to reservations, and they often talked with the tribal PD. If you're white, you're the enemy. Despite the fact that most residents are white, they still don't look at white people the same. You literally get treated like sh it. I've heard stories of people getting rocks thrown at them by multiple people and how they couldn't do anything about it, because they knew the tribal council would blame the cop for any force used. You arrest people, and the tribe lets them go without charges. Believe me- the horror stories go on and on and on.
                    You couldn't pay me enough to work on a tribal PD. Well, you COULD, but most places don't pay $250k/yr.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Worked for one. Good friend works for one. Nothing different from anyother department. Never heard of anyone getting rocked. Tribal council does not govern departments, the post board actually does, so they have no say in who goes to jail. I'm white, got treated very well by everyone in town. Funny post though
                      Last edited by ctycop; 03-25-2011, 04:24 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ctycop View Post
                        Worked for one. Good friend works for one. Nothing different from anyother department. Never heard of anyone getting rocked. Tribal council does not govern departments, the post board actually does, so they have no say in who goes to jail. I'm white, got treated very well by everyone in town. Funny post though
                        Well that's good for you guys. I've heard plenty of stories to the opposite.
                        Maybe your Res is different, but frankly, if I wanted to work in drug-infested crap holes, I'd rather work in Detroit.
                        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                        -John Adams


                        Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hey I seen a thing on Detroit they are trying to clean up. 24,000 people moved out in the last ten years. It was a very good place to work for. Yeah you seen drugs there like I see it where I work now. Thats gonna be where ever you go, you tend to only see the things that you are called to and trying to catch people at, crimes.
                          Really I was at the casino taking care of trouble there and not in Res. Thats why I left, I felt like a glorified security guard. Community great, casino sucked.
                          But the folks I worked with were good people. Some came from other departments, not becasue they had gotten into trouble. And like anyother small town people left after they got experience. See you heard things, but did not see it first hand.
                          Last edited by ctycop; 03-27-2011, 07:57 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Anyone hear back from this department yet?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              NO! I called and supposedly they are doing interviews right now.

                              I am figuring it's a no go!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3408 users online. 181 members and 3227 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X