300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minneapolis Police Cadet Program

Does anyone have any experience with the Minneapolis cadet program? I saw the info on the MPD website and spoke with a recruiter. From my understanding, it looks as though this is a great way for someone with a bachelor’s degree, but without a POST license, to obtain paid training to obtain POST licensure and then start the MPD academy. Anyone been through the MPD cadet program (or know someone that has)? Or, does anyone have any insights on the MPD testing process/department in general?

Thanks much.
    "It's a long way from the Supreme Court to the streets." -F.Y.
    "Saw drunk, arrested same." -Buck

I know someone who just started the program in January. You have to provide EVERYTHING to get started, leather, uniforms, gun, vest, etc. The program is about 6 months long and when you are done you start FTO. Once you finish, MPD will reimburse you part of the cost incurred for gun, vest, uniforms, etc. I believe you also have to give them 2 years of service once completing FTO or you have to pay back the cost of the program. The class that started in January has already had 5 people drop out. It is not easy, you do a lot of physical stuff such as push-ups, running, etc. and have to have a lot of self discipline. I know several people that have applied and it can take quite a long time for interviews, background, etc. to be completed. The person I know in the program is enjoying it. If it is something you are interested in, go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepd
      I know someone who just started the program in January. You have to provide EVERYTHING to get started, leather, uniforms, gun, vest, etc. The program is about 6 months long and when you are done you start FTO. Once you finish, MPD will reimburse you part of the cost incurred for gun, vest, uniforms, etc. I believe you also have to give them 2 years of service once completing FTO or you have to pay back the cost of the program. The class that started in January has already had 5 people drop out. It is not easy, you do a lot of physical stuff such as push-ups, running, etc. and have to have a lot of self discipline. I know several people that have applied and it can take quite a long time for interviews, background, etc. to be completed. The person I know in the program is enjoying it. If it is something you are interested in, go for it.
      Yup at least five people have dropped out of this program in the last few weeks. But if you are having trouble in the MPD acadmey then something is worng because while somewhat stressfull it is not even close to what other states have or even what State patrol goes through. MPD gives you about 2700.00 in reinbursement for uniform items and once you are POST licensed they split the cost of your vest with the state they each give you like 600.00 for a total of 1200.00 for a vest and they do that every five years.

MPD is a fun but stressfull place to work....it is the big city you will handle a lot of calls and see a lot of things. The FTOs for the most part are extremely knowledgeable people and can teach you alot. They also expect a lot. This is not a place to lay back and do a few traffic stops our dept last year had 363,000+ case numbers from 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2006. That means we average just under a 1000 calls a day. We might not have the nicest equipment in the twin cities but you will get to make real arrests, again I am not knocking the suburd depts, but my friends that work there tell me about the number of tickets they right I tell them about nights when we book 3 or 4 people a night for felonies.
      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51
        but my friends that work there tell me about the number of tickets they right I tell them about nights when we book 3 or 4 people a night for felonies.
        Yup - and in 1 week, you may just happen to arrest the same 3-4 people.
        (gotta love Henn. Cty!)

Just r***in' ya Squad.
        Have my application in for this round, we will see what happens.
        I would love to work in Minneapolis - as a resident, I am hoping I get to work there. (Also have 1 other application in the department that I reserve for.)
        Last edited by MNCopper; 02-05-2007, 02:36 PM. Reason: joke clarification....

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepd
          I know several people that have applied and it can take quite a long time for interviews, background, etc. to be completed. The person I know in the program is enjoying it. If it is something you are interested in, go for it.
          Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know how long the whole process took your buddy? Also, is the academic portion done at a local city college, or on site at MPD?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51
            Yup at least five people have dropped out of this program in the last few weeks. But if you are having trouble in the MPD acadmey then something is worng because while somewhat stressfull it is not even close to what other states have or even what State patrol goes through. MPD gives you about 2700.00 in reinbursement for uniform items and once you are POST licensed they split the cost of your vest with the state they each give you like 600.00 for a total of 1200.00 for a vest and they do that every five years.

MPD is a fun but stressfull place to work....it is the big city you will handle a lot of calls and see a lot of things. The FTOs for the most part are extremely knowledgeable people and can teach you alot. They also expect a lot. This is not a place to lay back and do a few traffic stops our dept last year had 363,000+ case numbers from 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2006. That means we average just under a 1000 calls a day. We might not have the nicest equipment in the twin cities but you will get to make real arrests, again I am not knocking the suburd depts, but my friends that work there tell me about the number of tickets they right I tell them about nights when we book 3 or 4 people a night for felonies.
            Thanks for the info Squad! I can't believe that 5 people would walk away from such a great opportunity, I know that I wouldn't. I think part of the reason that I would want to work for Minneapolis is because of my perception that, as a new officer, you would really have a fantastic opportunity to gain a wide variety of experience in a relatively short amount of time. It’s nice to know that someone on the inside of the department seems to verify this belief. Also, do you know how competitive the application process is for the cadet position? Not that I am looking for an easy hire, rather, just wondering how many people apply for this position and how many accepted?

Thanks again!

Comment

the "skills" portion is done at CCJLE to complete your license requirements the acadmey portion is done at a MPD facility.

As far as a time line the day my recruit class was taking our final physical test the city was also testing for cadets the same day. That was late June and they started in Jan....there were a lot of people at that test but then again they started 30 they are down to 25 now....

Comment

Originally posted by MNCopper
                Yup - and in 1 week, you may just happen to arrest the same 3-4 people.
                (gotta love Henn. Cty!)

Just r***in' ya Squad.
                Have my application in for this round, we will see what happens.
                I would love to work in Minneapolis - as a resident, I am hoping I get to work there. (Also have 1 other application in the department that I reserve for.)
                Yes that has happened but not to often

Comment

To get an idea of what the current timelines are:
                  http://www.startribune.com/462/story/983305.html

I think another problem not mentioned here is hopefuls are applying to Minneapolis, but in a case like mine, if the department I reserve at contacts me during the process of becoming a Minneapolis Officer, I would yank my application or background packet from Minneapolis and start with my department.

The time from application to training start is about 9 months.
                  Depending on the department - this could be 2-4 times longer than others!

I would be more than happy to join MPD - but they gotta step it up a bit.
                  They are probably losing great candidates because of their slow process.
                  (Could there also be a little push from the masses who are afraid of losing their OT? )

Comment

I don't think losing OT in Minneapolis will be an issue...while buy-back OT has dreid up it always does in the winter...I am still getting OT on late calls and late arrests plus court time. There is also part time to be worked as well. Even with "43" officers being hired thats still a drop in the bucket my class graduated 17 one was a park cop so thast 16 to the city, one of my class let the dept to go out of state that is 15 and one with possibly more have been let go 14...more then 14 cops have retired or left for other agencies since I graudated...plus they promoted 14 people 12 Sgts and 2 LTs.....so we are not even keeping up with attrition.

Comment

It is my understanding that with this group of cadets they are doing the "skills" portion at Fort Snelling (I will check on this.) Right now they are taking the theory classes at MPD, but from the instructor names being mentioned they are some of the same instructors who teach at CCJLE.

Comment

I am pretty sure that 1. Skills is not taught at Fort Snelling 2. That while the MPD acadmey was at Fort Snelling it is moving this month 3. That the cadet program is that the cadets go to the acadmey for half the day and Skills at CCJLE the other half.

Comment

Tonight was a perfect reason why working for a big city is fun. Got a attempted Burglary call..suspect GOA but I put out a description and Transit police spot the guy on leaving a bus. We get in the area and a foot chase goes from the traget center through all the parking structures all the way to the VU one in custody....felony booking..go to eat..make a few traffic stops, back another car on a problem in a bar we book another one....Misdemeanor arrest...several hours later stop a car, get a warrant arrest, and whoops we found drugs....and bam another PC felony arrest...all in all not bad for working what is considered a Slow pct in the big city.

Comment

Cadet Academy

The cadet academy is doing half of their time at CCJLE and the other half at Ft. Snelling. The first half of the Cadet academy is an accelerated version of theory and skills put together. When they are done with that they actually join up with a group of recruits for a big recruit class tht will go through the police academy together. All-in-all it is a stressfull, but rewarding 6-7 months. this class that just started should be in FTO by mid July is what I have heard.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Slinga
                              The cadet academy is doing half of their time at CCJLE and the other half at Ft. Snelling. The first half of the Cadet academy is an accelerated version of theory and skills put together. When they are done with that they actually join up with a group of recruits for a big recruit class tht will go through the police academy together. All-in-all it is a stressfull, but rewarding 6-7 months. this class that just started should be in FTO by mid July is what I have heard.

Hope this helps.
                              That does help. Thanks for the information.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3975 users online. 192 members and 3783 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X