300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS or MA?

I currently attend Minnesota State University - Mankato. I am working towards getting a BS in Law Enforcement. After I get my BS, I can get my Masters in Public Administration (MPA), would this be worth the extra time and effort? Here is the way I see it:

Pros:
    1. It'd be nice just having the higher level of education.
    2. It'll make me 2 years older when I start applying to departments, thus the departments might view me as more mature. (25 vs. 23 YOA)
    3. It'll help with promotions
    4. An MPA will give me an out just in case I get burnt out in LE

Cons:
    1. Time
    2. Money
    3. Writing the Thesis... Really not looking forward to that

To me, it looks like the pros out weigh the cons, but my question is how much will an MPA really help within the LE Field?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ZQ8Noma; 12-26-2005, 09:34 PM.

Just my .02, but I would get hired, then get my MA.

If you work it right, there are some departments that will reimburse you for some if not all your tuition, books and stuff like that. Plus you are getting valuable experience as a cop.

Comment

I will be pursuing my masters very shortly. I would apply and see how the hiring goes while also plan to begin the masters program. If you get hired and are in the middle of your program, you can always stop for a few months (such as FTO training) and then go back to it. Getting your years of experience is just as valuable as getting an advanced degree, and I don't believe that your advanced degree would necessarily help in being hired.

With that said though, going to graduate school and shift work as an officer really do not coincide that well. If your focus is grad school, and that is the only thing you wish to focus on, then I would do it before applying.

I know with my department, the current mentality is that if you wish to move up, grab your masters. Not needed for entry-level though, unless you are thinking federal.

K9

Comment

I think it is either a erquirement or just known without a masters no promotions at ST.Paul.....
        Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Bachelors requirement for promotion - no masters as of yet.

K9

Comment

yeah but do you really havea shot when the chief has a fricking phd??????
            Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

PHD

Piled

Higher
              &
              Deeper

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3721 users online. 200 members and 3521 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X