• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40cal
    replied
    Originally posted by computergeek
    I see now why your called 40cal.

I should point out that I'm not 40cal by choice....45's rock, but the state does not feel the same way as me.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by 40cal
    I can't shoot people and be back to work 5 minutes later...
    I see now why your called 40cal.

Leave a comment:

• MsMilhouse
    replied
    I've been a CSO for a west metro Sheriff's Dept. for about 6 months now. It is a great experience! Like reserve units, each CSO gig can be very different. We patrol parks and can write citations for ordinances and some state statues (like parking violations, as an example.) We also respond to all medicals if we are in the area.

So you get a lot of radio experience, hand's on responding to calls (no code 3 for us), and get to experience a lot of things. Just read job descriptions carefully and ask a lot of questions. I know of one west metro dept. who will be hiring a CSO and all that job will be is doing office work like filing and stuff like that.

It is very competitive, I went up against 100 applicants for my job.

Edited to add: I am also done with skills and am sort of in a holding pattern waiting to apply for a sworn position. Just know that being a CSO is not always a guarantee you'll get on with that dept.

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Originally posted by 40cal
    Crap, the media misrepresents what something is like?

I can't shoot people and be back to work 5 minutes later having my union mandated coffee break w/donuts?

I quit.

All fun and games - no paperwork or boredom!

K9

Leave a comment:

• 40cal
    replied
    Originally posted by K9 Police
    TV/Media has never and will never accurately depict police work. The closest I would say to it is COPS, but that is still on the other side of the chart.
    Crap, the media misrepresents what something is like?

I can't shoot people and be back to work 5 minutes later having my union mandated coffee break w/donuts?

I quit.

To give you some idea of what the cops crews do.

They were in my previous jurisdiction for a total of 3 months. I think they got a whopping 5-6 segments out of it. (that is 5-6 that they could use, the department would nix any footage that they did not like)

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Private security work when applying to a sworn position in this state will not be as beneficial as having a Reserve or CSO bullet on your resume. Your current security job can be helpful though in showing work experience to get the Reserve or CSO position.

If you are strongly consider applying to sworn positions in the future, I would highly suggest that you look into CSO/Park Agent positions. If hired, I would take the position in a heartbeat as it will give you the skills, knowledge, and a foundation to build into your sworn position. It will offer you several advantages as we have spoken of on this board.

I feel your plight. I was full-time school with two paid positions with police departments and also a reserve on the side with another department. It was a lot of work, and it paid off in the end as I am now employed by the department that I have always had my eye on. Some, if not all, of the departments hiring CSO's do realize that some applicants are currently in school/college. Again *most* departments that I applied with, and the ones I worked for, were very flexible in making sure that I could complete my degree while also working at that agency. If they want you as a CSO, they can make it work. If they are looking for someone who can work full-time, the worst that can happen is they say "no thanks" due to the fact that you wouldn't be as available as the person who was hired. One of the best experiences out of applying for all those CSO positions was I really understood the interviewing process and how to conduct myself in these interviews. Even though I was turned down often, it helped me prepare for my very first interview for a sworn position in which I was subsequently hired.

TV/Media has never and will never accurately depict police work. The closest I would say to it is COPS, but that is still on the other side of the chart.

When I graduated from the U of M, I moved to Wisconsin for my first sworn position. I know others who have moved as well, one good budy of mine with LAPD now. As for LVMPD, the testing was in Winona, not CCJLE.

K9

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks to everyone for your great replies!

Several years ago I worked as an security guard (unarmed) in downtown Minneapolis. A couple nights a week we had a Minneapolis Officer moonlighting/working with us. It was a good opportunity to work with the police, talk to the officers about policing, and seeing what they do. Some of my duties included things that are kindof similar to LE work (working with dk people, writing reports, etc). Not sure if this is what you would consider to be "respectable". Based on reading other posts, I was under the impression that private security work did not necessarily give you much advantage in the LE hiring process. Perhaps it will help in getting a reserve or CSO position...

I am probably best served seeking a reserve position in the short term. Between work and school I am putting in about 13-14 hours a day right now. Most of the CSO positions I have seen posted are full time...

My current job is not really what I thought it would be when I was training for it. I feel like I know more about policing now than I knew about the IT field going into it. I do not think that the various TV shows out there are an accurate depiction of police work.

I understand the LE job market is pretty tight in this area. How many of you know people who have moved to other areas to find LE work? I noticed MN POST has a job listing on their site for the city of Las Vegas. On the other hand I was told that there is an unofficial policy at CCJLE to not permit recruiters from non-MN agencies on their grounds...

Leave a comment:

• Jess24
    replied
    Thanks

I already have the reserve officer in the bag just waiting on my "official" call. I've got an in with an agancy and I have applied to to some large security co. too. I really would like to get a CSO postion though soo i can get through school plus i need a job since I was laid off almost 6 mo ago. So right now I'll do anything to pay bills.

Leave a comment:

• KaiGywer
    replied
    As many has said before, CSO and Reserve would be the best of both world. One thing you have to keep in mind though. Are you taking this job only to get a foot in the door, or do you need a job to pay bills as well? In the latter case, CSO would be better for you, as Reserve is unpaid.

Leave a comment:

• richx528
    replied
    If I were you I would look for reserve or CSO and go for the first one you are able to get hired at, CSO would probably be the better of the two options, but being a reserve will be helpful for the resume when applying for a CSO position.

Leave a comment:

• Lawdog1228
    replied
    K9 I almost forgot that valuable point, many agencies want to move their CSOs up to officer in the future. it is alot easier to do only a year or so worth of background for an officer that used to be a cso, due to the fact they already did one for the cso spot. If for some reason it isnt the same person interviewing you for both jobs, then at least you can be sure that person has the ear of the chief or other hiring authority. Plus they really get to see you in action after you get hired. They can determine pretty quickly if they want you to continue with them, see if you are a good fit for the dept. I just hope my current dept wants to pick me up when I am done with school in apr. again good luck

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Lawdog has some excellent advice as well, especially the advice of keeping track of the questions and your answers. You will find that after many interviews, the CSO interview begins to sound very similiar to those of other departments. A lot of them I could expect the questions that were going to be asked, and therefore was able to prepare ahead of time for them.

Like I said though, these departments know that the LE market is saturated and that there are many qualified people applying for CSO positions and that they are applying to ALL the departments out there that are hiring. Make sure you can give them facts and reasons as why you want to work for THEIR city, not just that of a CSO. Because you never know, you may be interviewing with the same person who might give you the Officer position in the future.

K9

Leave a comment:

• K9 Police
    replied
    Originally posted by Medici
    Police work is hard to get into. I have found it rewarding but it is not what I thought it would be. Believe me, running Code 3 is not all that fun, traffic stops can be a pain in the butt, people really do hate you and will take cheap shots at ya. But don't let that get you down.
    Follow your dreams...
    Great words Medici. I have found that this job is not what I thought it would be either, even still to this day. I blame a major part of that to the media!
    Love how society thinks our job is just like that of COPS or Wildest Police Videos, or the latest "cop" movie. If they only knew...

K9

Leave a comment:

• Lawdog1228
    replied
    one last thing, try to do ride alongs with a cso somewhere to get a good idea of what they do during the average day. this can give you first hand insight into the job, as well as make it look like you are very interested in learning. I know at my dept this has gone over very well in interviews. I would also see if you can find a copy of the cities animal ord at the very least. this will give you an idea of how the dept handles certain calls, and again goes over pretty well in interviews. as k9 said research, research research

Leave a comment:

• Lawdog1228
    replied
    k9 is hitting all the right nails on the head. Computergeek it does seem as though you almost have to have cso, reserve or respectable security agency exp if you want a real shot at the jobs out there. with as many applicants that are figureing that out, it will keep making things harder for those who dont take those step. Again great advise k9 and medici. the only thing i think i could add is this. after your interviews...assuming you will keep applying...write down the questions you rememebr. disect your answers and think about how you could have answered them better. the more you interview, the more insight on questions you will have. after awhile you just have to look over your aquired questions and you will have a better idea of what to expect. I have heard that advice several times now, and trust me, many dept ask similar questions. the other thing I would do is check the newspapers, and the individual city websites. In some cases cities will post exclusivly on their website in addition to maybe a one day run in the paper in the middle of the week, dont miss the boat. Every little thing helps. Good luck and keep applying

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4559 users online. 286 members and 4273 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X