300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with CSO questions

I've have applied to a city and how long generally does it take for a responce? I also would like to know if anyone has any advise on the whole CSO thing since I kow nothing and am just starting college for LE.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas Edison

you applied to A city....IMHO I would suggest you apply to every city you can possibly find. Being a CSO myself I can tell you getting the job was no easy taks. With my current position I was up against at least 80 other applicants for one position. I ended up getting the standard eligiblity list letter. It wasnt until the applicant they hired bounced out of FTO that I got the job. I applied to several agencies, and many didnt even offer an interview. So my initial advice to you is to hang in there and apply everywhere, also apply for a police reserve gig somewhere. As far as how long it takes to hear somethign, it could be a few weeks after the deadline, or a few month...or in rare cases neither and you just wont hear anything. Again hang in there and feel free to send me a PM if you have further question
    "No you got the wrong number, this is 91....2"

Comment

Research, research, research that city inside and out. Like lawdog and myself, many applicants apply to every department that are hiring CSO's to get a foot in the door. It can be very competitive, as competitive as an officer position if not more. Find out the true nuts and bolts of a CSO position. Why do you want to be a CSO? How do your qualifications meet the job requirements? All of the above will be helpful and beneficial to you if you are selected for an interview.

In the meantime, I would look for Reserve positions also.

K9

Comment

Does CSO or reserve generally give you the best experiences for becoming a LEO? I would guess with CSO you put in more time and that is seen more positive towards becoming an LEO. Do a lot of CSO's start as reservists?

Comment

that is good advice
          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by computergeek
            Does CSO or reserve generally give you the best experiences for becoming a LEO? I would guess with CSO you put in more time and that is seen more positive towards becoming an LEO. Do a lot of CSO's start as reservists?
            In my humble opinion, if you want a good shot at sworn LE in Minnesota - become a Reserve and CSO. The are other routes, of course. However, those positions are excellent tools to get your career goal. Some CSO's started as Reserves, and vice versa. I believe I was hired first as a CSO then later that month hired as a Reserve with another department.

They see CSO as a positive not just in regards with the time involved, but the type of work you are doing. Handling calls, driving a squad (marked or unmarked, depends) handlign the radio, writing tags, enforcing ordinances, etc. You do a ton more than most Reserves do. Some departments all the reserves are there for are parades and special details.

K9

Comment

Try for a CSO or a Reserve Officer position. The City of Anoka also has a Security Officer position. This Security Officer position is for the Anoka Metro Regional Treatment Center, the Anoka High School and other security details. This is a great position and a huge foot in the door for officer postions in the City of Anoka, as well as, departments in Anoka County and the rest of the State of Minnesota.
              Also, get a four year degree, grow up, be stable, be mature, get in shape, study hard, have a personality, don't be to gung-ho, have people experience and do good things.
              Police work is hard to get into. I have found it rewarding but it is not what I thought it would be. Believe me, running Code 3 is not all that fun, traffic stops can be a pain in the butt, people really do hate you and will take cheap shots at ya. But don't let that get you down.
              Follow your dreams...
              We intimidate those who intimidate others.

Comment

k9 is hitting all the right nails on the head. Computergeek it does seem as though you almost have to have cso, reserve or respectable security agency exp if you want a real shot at the jobs out there. with as many applicants that are figureing that out, it will keep making things harder for those who dont take those step. Again great advise k9 and medici. the only thing i think i could add is this. after your interviews...assuming you will keep applying...write down the questions you rememebr. disect your answers and think about how you could have answered them better. the more you interview, the more insight on questions you will have. after awhile you just have to look over your aquired questions and you will have a better idea of what to expect. I have heard that advice several times now, and trust me, many dept ask similar questions. the other thing I would do is check the newspapers, and the individual city websites. In some cases cities will post exclusivly on their website in addition to maybe a one day run in the paper in the middle of the week, dont miss the boat. Every little thing helps. Good luck and keep applying

Comment

one last thing, try to do ride alongs with a cso somewhere to get a good idea of what they do during the average day. this can give you first hand insight into the job, as well as make it look like you are very interested in learning. I know at my dept this has gone over very well in interviews. I would also see if you can find a copy of the cities animal ord at the very least. this will give you an idea of how the dept handles certain calls, and again goes over pretty well in interviews. as k9 said research, research research

Comment

Originally posted by Medici
                    Police work is hard to get into. I have found it rewarding but it is not what I thought it would be. Believe me, running Code 3 is not all that fun, traffic stops can be a pain in the butt, people really do hate you and will take cheap shots at ya. But don't let that get you down.
                    Follow your dreams...
                    Great words Medici. I have found that this job is not what I thought it would be either, even still to this day. I blame a major part of that to the media!
                    Love how society thinks our job is just like that of COPS or Wildest Police Videos, or the latest "cop" movie. If they only knew...

K9

Comment

Lawdog has some excellent advice as well, especially the advice of keeping track of the questions and your answers. You will find that after many interviews, the CSO interview begins to sound very similiar to those of other departments. A lot of them I could expect the questions that were going to be asked, and therefore was able to prepare ahead of time for them.

Like I said though, these departments know that the LE market is saturated and that there are many qualified people applying for CSO positions and that they are applying to ALL the departments out there that are hiring. Make sure you can give them facts and reasons as why you want to work for THEIR city, not just that of a CSO. Because you never know, you may be interviewing with the same person who might give you the Officer position in the future.

K9

Comment

K9 I almost forgot that valuable point, many agencies want to move their CSOs up to officer in the future. it is alot easier to do only a year or so worth of background for an officer that used to be a cso, due to the fact they already did one for the cso spot. If for some reason it isnt the same person interviewing you for both jobs, then at least you can be sure that person has the ear of the chief or other hiring authority. Plus they really get to see you in action after you get hired. They can determine pretty quickly if they want you to continue with them, see if you are a good fit for the dept. I just hope my current dept wants to pick me up when I am done with school in apr. again good luck

Comment

If I were you I would look for reserve or CSO and go for the first one you are able to get hired at, CSO would probably be the better of the two options, but being a reserve will be helpful for the resume when applying for a CSO position.

Comment

As many has said before, CSO and Reserve would be the best of both world. One thing you have to keep in mind though. Are you taking this job only to get a foot in the door, or do you need a job to pay bills as well? In the latter case, CSO would be better for you, as Reserve is unpaid.

Comment

Thanks

I already have the reserve officer in the bag just waiting on my "official" call. I've got an in with an agancy and I have applied to to some large security co. too. I really would like to get a CSO postion though soo i can get through school plus i need a job since I was laid off almost 6 mo ago. So right now I'll do anything to pay bills.
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas Edison

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3535 users online. 190 members and 3345 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X