Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many depts have you applied to before getting hired?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many depts have you applied to before getting hired?

Hi all. Please forgive, but I need to vent and ask.

I was wondering how many different agencies you folks applied to before you were hired.

I have reached 30 depts that I applied and they are as follows.

30 total.

21 are Police Departments
    7 are Sheriff Departments
    2 are State Agencies.

Here is the breakdown.
    For the Police Departments I am at below stages.
    7 Depts. sent letters only after receiving my application. No test - no interview.
    5 Depts. have yet to send me anything - either they haven't sent anything out or something got lost in the mail.
    4 Depts. disqualified me after the 1st interview.
    2 Depts. I will be testing for.
    1 Dept. I was too sick to travel to take the test - (It was a 4 hour drive from the cities.)
    1 Dept. I didn't make the cut for the test to continue and interview.
    1 Dept. interviewed me - initially rejected - and then the chief called to ask if I was still interested. - I am still waiting to hear back on my background investigation.

For the Sheriff's Departments
    Here is the breakdown
    2 Depts. I passed the test but didn't make it past the 1st interview.
    1 Dept. I didn't pass the test.
    1 Dept. test was going on at the same time as a different agency.
    1 Dept. I couldn't travel due to not being able to get the time off from work (again it was a 4 hour drive from the cities)
    1 Dept. I missed the physical testing date.
    1 Dept. sent a letter only after receiving my application. No test - no interview. (I applied twice for this agency - they posted an opening twice and I received the same rejection letter - except the date was differnent. Obviously they didn't even look at my app even though they said they would keep it on file for a year.)

For the State Agencies
    Here is the breakdown.
    One agency I messed up on the testing dates (me bad)
    One agency I will be testing for in October.

Since I started applying in Febuary I have been keeping track of how far I progress in the application process.

Any thoughts/Advice????

I was very fortunate.

I applied at one major city and was hired

I applied at the MN SP and was hired

Comment

So the Minnesota State Patrol is the 2nd agency you've worked for?

Comment

Yup

Previously I worked for KCMO PD

Comment

Applied to one small city PD in WI, hired. Applied to one large city PD in MN, hired. For some its easier, others its harder. It was easier for me as I decided to leave MN to get my intial LE experience and then head on back to MN.

K9

Comment

I am going in to skills this fall, and I must say the one thing I am not looking forward to is competing for a job. There are SO many qualified people in MN looking for a job. Good luck maxx, hope you get hired.

Comment

My one wish is that I would like to hear something from the agency that is doing my background packet. Yea or Nea.

My wife is currently enrolled in school for L.E. and I think she is getting scared because of what I am going through.....she is applying to be a CSO and the last Dept. the Capt. called her and told her that she was one of the top 4 canidates out of 12-15.

And it is now 31 agencies......I mailed another app out today.

Comment

Minnesota is tough on the hiring.
                These are the department I have applied for. Then suddenly the Police Gods from above selected me to work in thier city.

St. Francis Police
                Sauk Rapids Police Department
                Anoka County Sheriffs Department
                Aitkin County Sheriffs Dept.
                Willmar Police Department
                Champlin Police Department
                Wright County Sheriff
                South Lake Minnetonka Police Department
                Jordan Police Department
                Woodbury Police Department
                Golden Valley Police Department
                Elk River Police Department
                New Hope Police Department
                Burnsville Police Department
                Eagan Police Department
                Anoka Police Department
                Apple Valley Police Department
                Maple Grove Police Department
                Madison, Wisconsin Police Department
                North Dakota State Patrol
                Brainerd Police Department
                Coon Rapids Police Department
                Annandale Police Department
                United States Border Patrol
                Fargo, ND Police Department
                West Fargo Police Department
                Sartell Police Department
                Blaine Police Department
                Metropolitan Transit Police
                Forest Lake Police
                Plymouth Police
                St. Cloud Police Department
                Maplewood Police
                St. Francis Police
                Moorhead Police
                Anoka County Sheriff
                Minnesota State Patrol
                We intimidate those who intimidate others.

Comment

Applied in AZ (MCSO) = Hired.. Obviously.. They need all the COPS they can get.
                  Applied in WI = Hired.. Small town dept.

I haven't applied in MN yet... I am going to get my degree finished up this fall and maybe then throw some apps out at the agency's and fish for a position...

Seems that MN is a hard place to get a JOB... With 4 years experience or maybe more depending when I deciede to apply, I will stick out above the guys just out of CJ/LE school.
                  ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

UGH!!!!!!

Well it was nothing but bad news today and I am a little upset. The two departments I was waiting to hear from I called to see what the status was and one lady at one of the departments told me that they had already interviewed - backgrounded - and offered a job to someone - meanwhile me and who knows how many other canidates didn't hear anything. The other department I called said I should receive a letter within 7 days - it arrived - rejection.

And the agency I had been waiting on for my background claimed that I "failed to include a signed authorization for financial data release and financial account information" Well I am going to be calling them and tell them that they are mistaken because I made two complete photo copies of my background packet - the finacial history is there and so is the signed authorization.

The closest I get to getting hired and I don't get it because of lost paper work that I KNOW that I submitted. UGH!!!!!!!

Comment

be very carefull here..you start making noise and no one will hire you. I got rejected from Brooklyn park cso right after I got of the miliatry because I did not understand and or my understanding of a question was different then theres and they said i lied when in my opinion I told the truth. Anyhow....I was going to call and make noise and was told to Sit down shut up and take it. Its good advice because you get backgrounded by another agnecy they are going to call and they are going to find out you make noise..and that is not a good thing...my opinion but I would tread lightly if you call at all.
                      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

So basically I should just shut up and not say anything even though I submitted it?

Comment

Well, look at it this way.
                          If they really wanted you wouldn't you think they would have called or something and told you that they did not have the signed form they are talking about?

Comment

I would think that they would have called just to double check make sure, but apparently not.

Has anyone else been rejected and have been able to go on with another dept?

I also want to appologize for what I believe was an outburst - but this was the closest I have been able to get to becoming an law enforcement officer and not to get it due to a paperwork snafu is rather iritating.

Comment

yeah me...I have been rejected by several agencies..and i am a federal cop....hmm I wonder what that says..LOL
                              Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5864 users online. 323 members and 5541 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X