• Show
Clear All

• Some say hiring freeze not worth the cost

Interesting look at hiring freeze vs overtime costs in the city of Duluth:

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...r/12435571.htm

Whoda thunk it!??!?!
    Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

yeah go get hired in Duluth work 25 years and then lose your medical??? F that
      Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

I was always under the impression that we as public servants made less on the front end (during our career) but made up for it on the back end (retirement). Now Duluth wants to do away with that?

Good luck getting dedicated career long employees!

Comment

A few months back a St. Paul Police Reserve Officer told me they were talking about dropping medical for retirees. Anyone hear anything similar?

Comment

If they did that I would imagine they would have to start that with any new hires and not have it be retroactive in nature.

Comment

Not necessarily.

Currently sworn officers upon retirement receive $300-400 a month for health insurance dependant on when you were hired. However, all new future hires will only be given $250 a year into a health insurance savings account by the city. When you retire, you are able to use your health insurance savings account.

The department I came from gave nothing for retiree health insurance, so this is step up any way I look at it.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Police
                Not necessarily.

Currently sworn officers upon retirement receive $300-400 a month for health insurance dependant on when you were hired. However, all new future hires will only be given $250 a year into a health insurance savings account by the city. When you retire, you are able to use your health insurance savings account.

The department I came from gave nothing for retiree health insurance, so this is step up any way I look at it.

K9
                I think we said the same thing, just in different ways.

So if I am not mistaken, they will not reduce the benefit of current retirees or reduce the benefit of people hired prior to X date upon their retirement unless they were hired after X date.

Comment

We did?

Correct, but they are not getting rid of medical insurance overall. Just put a different aspect to it. There are talks of possibly raising that amount each year by the city, or being able to put your own money in the account for your future health insurance. All talk. Just the other week all sworn officers had to pick which one they wanted, stay with the old or switch over with the new. All new officers will be stuck with the new.

K9

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4428 users online. 256 members and 4172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X