• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen stabs Minneapolis officer with screwdriver

Teen stabs Minneapolis officer with screwdriver
    Jim Adams, Star Tribune
    August 9, 2005 STAB0809

Minneapolis officer Daniel Horn was sitting in his squad car writing a traffic citation Monday morning when a teenager walked up and started stabbing him in an unprovoked attack, police said.

About 7 a.m., a 17-year-old boy "walked up, leaned into his car window and stabbed him with this screwdriver," Police Chief Bill McManus said.

Fortunately, Horn was wearing a protective Kevlar vest and the screwdriver didn't penetrate it, McManus said. He displayed the screwdriver, in a plastic bag, and the officer's shirt with a small rip in the left pocket where the tool had struck.

Horn, who has been on the force for 15 years, managed to trap the teen's arm in his steering wheel, disarm him and call for assistance, the chief said. The teen and a man who obstructed officers were arrested at the scene at 62nd Street and 2nd Avenue S. and may be charged with second-degree assault, Capt. Rich Stanek said.

McManus said when he visited Horn, who was checked at a hospital and released, Horn said he was glad he was able to control the teenager without shooting him, the chief said. He noted that during an attempted robbery last week, police shot and killed a suspect after he stabbed two officers in their legs.

He said such armed attacks on police are unusual.

Jim Adams is at [email protected].

*Just recently we had a guy come into our district office and sprayed mace at one of our officers. The idiot didn't realize the officer was behind pexiglass, therefore not having any effect. Needless to say he was arrested. What's up with these people?*

K9

I'm really suprised the copper didn't shoot the mope.

Me personally, I get out of my squad if someone approaches. If for some reason I can't, I have my roscoe in my hand.

Comment

Anyone else get the feeling this kid had some mental issues? How odd! Glad the officer was fine.

Comment

that is why I never ever allow anyone to approach me on foot when I am in my car with out seeing their hands
        Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Praise God the officer is going to be fine. I wonder if this teen was homeless. Afterall, why would a seventeen year old kid be walking around at 7 am with a screwdriver? And try to stab a cop while he was giving a traffic citation??? With a witness clearly in plain view????

OR?? was he the guy getting the ticket????

Either way... It makes you wonder what he was thinking. I have my own ideas.
          Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

I'd consider the meth angle. Up at 7 a.m.? Paranoid, violent, sounds like meth to me.
            What can brown do for you?

Comment

2nd degree assault, that is the best they could charge him with, how about 1st deg ADW or attempt murder????

Edit: I'm not from Minn so I don't know your laws so please forgive if this really is the most he could be charged with.
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

That is one report I would love to read for the details.
                Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                  2nd degree assault, that is the best they could charge him with, how about 1st deg ADW or attempt murder????

Edit: I'm not from Minn so I don't know your laws so please forgive if this really is the most he could be charged with.
                  I'm suprised they got that much out of the Hennepin Co Attorney's office.

Comment

Originally posted by 40cal
                    I'm suprised they got that much out of the Hennepin Co Attorney's office.
                    Ditto. Should see some of the drug cases that get dropped around here. They want fingerprints/DNA off of baggies! That was a shock to someone from out of state.

K9

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5188 users online. 317 members and 4871 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X