300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Minnesotans

This question was inspired by the last guys backgrounding question. I am entering into my last semester, or skills this fall.Who here in MN has experience dealing with being backgrounded or does backgrounding in MN? Is there anything I can work on now to make myself more prepared when the time comes to be backgrounded. Just want to make sure I don't miss anything as I've heard missing info is as bad as lying.

My only concern is one past employer. I had gotten a new full time job and was continuing to work part time at the old job. The old part time job continually scheduled me when I had to work at my new full time job. I had made them aware of my availability change far ahead of time. I was not about to blow off my full time job that gave me my benefits when it wasn't their issue to begin with. Anyway I am not on good terms with this employer. What kind of trouble do you think this will cause?
    Last edited by richx528; 07-28-2005, 05:21 AM.

My Background INvestigator gave me some good advice. Every one has skeletons in their closets, just a fact of life. As long as you are honest about it and dont try to cover anything up, you should be ok. Obviously there are some things that wont fly, but if you already work for corrections I wouldnt worry to much about getting backgrounded again. Just be honest about everything and you should be fine.
    "No you got the wrong number, this is 91....2"

Comment

Start right now compiling information about you past:
      * EVERY school you attended from K-12, and EVERY single college you attended. They want to know address, grades you attended and phone number.
      * Any disclipline problems in schools -- detention, suspension.
      * Any awards or diplomas you recieved.
      * EVERY job you have ever had (location, phone, contact person such as manager, pay, dates of employment, reason for leaving, and duties)
      * EVERY single traffic, criminal ticket or charge you have EVER recieved. Some agencies also want to know EVERY police contact you have EVER had (witness to car accident, ride-alongs, car vs. deer permit, witness to a crime, suspect, and/or victim)
      * Selective Service number (if you are a male)
      * EVERY single place you have EVER lived (from a newborn to an adult)
      * Any previous names?
      * Motor Vehicle information (what cars do you own)
      * Motor Vehicle insurance information (ever been in an accident)
      * ANY time you have EVER been fingerprinted (were you ever printed in the Military or as a child in school)
      * Any Military Service (discharge information)
      * Driving license number and driving record
      * Social Security Number
      * Names of family member and contact information.
      * Names of friends or associates and contact info.
      * Previous Police Agencies you have applied for (they may want address and contact information, as well as, dates and how far you went)
      * Previous backgrounds by other Police agencies
      * Any professional organizations
      * Savings, Checking or Money Market Account (have you account numbers, address of bank, amount in each account)
      * EVERY single Financial Obligation (names and address of any individual, companiy or other who you make payment for something to)
      * Any Civl lawsuits you have been involved with (adoption, divorce, foreclosure, OFP, Restraining orders.
      * Any motor vehicle accidents.
      * Any medications, or prescription drugs
      * Do you rent or own a home
      * Write an autobiography (should be about 7 to 8 pages)

This is a list from one background I did. Once you get all this info (it took me 3 weeks to get it all done), then save it all. Make a copy of the background packet without any writing. You want to write legibly and neatly. When you write the autobiography this is the time to sell yourself but aslo explain yourself.
      The most important thing is to NEVER LIE OR TRY TO WITHHOLD INFORMATION FROM THE PACKET OR THE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATOR. Be honest and be yourself.
      We intimidate those who intimidate others.

Comment

Originally posted by Medici
        Start right now compiling information about you past:
        * EVERY school you attended from K-12, and EVERY single college you attended. They want to know address, grades you attended and phone number.
        * Any disclipline problems in schools -- detention, suspension.
        * Any awards or diplomas you recieved.
        * EVERY job you have ever had (location, phone, contact person such as manager, pay, dates of employment, reason for leaving, and duties)
        * EVERY single traffic, criminal ticket or charge you have EVER recieved. Some agencies also want to know EVERY police contact you have EVER had (witness to car accident, ride-alongs, car vs. deer permit, witness to a crime, suspect, and/or victim)
        * Selective Service number (if you are a male)
        * EVERY single place you have EVER lived (from a newborn to an adult)
        * Any previous names?
        * Motor Vehicle information (what cars do you own)
        * Motor Vehicle insurance information (ever been in an accident)
        * ANY time you have EVER been fingerprinted (were you ever printed in the Military or as a child in school)
        * Any Military Service (discharge information)
        * Driving license number and driving record
        * Social Security Number
        * Names of family member and contact information.
        * Names of friends or associates and contact info.
        * Previous Police Agencies you have applied for (they may want address and contact information, as well as, dates and how far you went)
        * Previous backgrounds by other Police agencies
        * Any professional organizations
        * Savings, Checking or Money Market Account (have you account numbers, address of bank, amount in each account)
        * EVERY single Financial Obligation (names and address of any individual, companiy or other who you make payment for something to)
        * Any Civl lawsuits you have been involved with (adoption, divorce, foreclosure, OFP, Restraining orders.
        * Any motor vehicle accidents.
        * Any medications, or prescription drugs
        * Do you rent or own a home
        * Write an autobiography (should be about 7 to 8 pages)

This is a list from one background I did. Once you get all this info (it took me 3 weeks to get it all done), then save it all. Make a copy of the background packet without any writing. You want to write legibly and neatly. When you write the autobiography this is the time to sell yourself but aslo explain yourself.
        The most important thing is to NEVER LIE OR TRY TO WITHHOLD INFORMATION FROM THE PACKET OR THE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATOR. Be honest and be yourself.
        Thanks much for the info! I like getting a jump start on stuff like this, much less stressful that way.

Comment

way better put medici. That sounds exactly like my background. only difference was autobiography length.
          "No you got the wrong number, this is 91....2"

Comment

Yep, he about covered everything.

ALWAYS make copies of every background and every application you complete.

The best tool for getting the addresses and phone numbers for the agencies you have applied to is to look on the POST website and print out the list of agencies. They have a link in the list of sworn officers per agency area. It even lists the county (some backgrounds ask what county everything is in).

START NOW... OH and one last thing. Always have extra copies of certified transcripts. Take away a lot of hassel and time you could be spending doing something else.
            Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

WHOO HOO - I inspired someone.

Anyway Medici is correct - this was the same background information that I had to give - although the lenght of my autobiography was specified, but I mentioned everything that I could remember - although the time frame from conception to age five is still a bit fuzzy.

As for the situation with your employer - I am going through the same simular situation and like you I am completely freaked out that they may say something to totally screw up any chance that I have at becoming a law enforcement officer. But take the high road like I did and be up front about the employer problems and explain the situation to them.

Comment

well having gone through backgrounds been hired and now goign through another one, one employeer saying something bad won't kill you, but if a bunch say the same things then you are in a world of hurt...everyone makes mistakes, just learn from them, show you have learned from them and show and explain how you have not done them again.
                Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Hide Nothing.
                  Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5100 users online. 318 members and 4782 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X