Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Carry in Minnesota

For current LEO's who carry off-duty:
    Are off-duty officers able to carry their sidearms in establishments that post the "Firearms are not permitted in this establishment" or whatever it says?

Also, how would you answer a person or another on-duty officer who questions you about the gun? Would you show your wallet post license, bagde or the police ID card?

Have you ever run into any problems carrying off-duty?
    We intimidate those who intimidate others.

Yes off duty officers are now exempt from the "bans firearms on premisis" signs. The legistaure passed the bill again and it is clearly written that off duty police officers may carry their firearms any where in the state, except for federal property, court, and the airport......

I have never had a problem, but I always have my badge and id...plus I keep my weapon concealed.
    Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR BADGE WHEN YOU CARRY OFF DUTY!!!!!!!!!!...\

Some departments have policy that stated you must be displaying your badge if you are carrying off duty (Clip on badge on the waist badge is still concealable along with your weapon)...

I would never carry off duty, but that's me.... (unless i was driving a squad car to training and I was in Civi's)

I know a few officers that bring their gun with them everywhere they go.... THOSE ARE THE PARANOID EFFERS... NO OFFENSE GUYS....
      Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Where I go, the roscoe goes.

Comment

here is the scoop from the dept I am with. Officers are encouraged, but not required to carry off duty. You also have to have in your immediate possession, your dept ID and suggested to also have your badge. I do remember an officer getting some heat in the media about carrying in the dome. However he showed his weapon, and I believe he was a wisconsin officer.
          "No you got the wrong number, this is 91....2"

Comment

Originally posted by InSane1

Some departments have policy that stated you must be displaying your badge if you are carrying off duty (Clip on badge on the waist badge is still concealable along with your weapon)...

I would never carry off duty, but that's me.... (unless i was driving a squad car to training and I was in Civi's)

I know a few officers that bring their gun with them everywhere they go.... THOSE ARE THE PARANOID EFFERS... NO OFFENSE GUYS....
            Im trying to figure out if you serious of not. Carrying off duty is NOT paranoid, its simply smart and safe. If you choose not to, so be it. I choose to, because if the day ever comes when I need to defend my LIFE or the LIFE of a family member, I want the tool to do it.

Anyway, back to the CCW in MN question. I've wondered that myself. I'm in WI, but go to Duluth all the time for shopping, eating, visiting. I like the mall, and when I walked in there and saw the sign prohibiting ALL CCW, I thought, what the hell, does that mean me to? In my mind, is a friggin sign gonna stop a bad guy from carrying if he wants to? Ummmmmmmm, NO.
            "I only had a couple!"

Comment

You might want to read this!

Street Survival instructors say officers traveling with their families in the United States this summer should carry a firearm, just as they would whenever they are off duty. However, if that isn't feasible, they suggest at least carrying a knife.

Additionally, Sgt. Smith suggests officers carry an extra set of handcuffs and a key. Just as Lt. Norris of Dallas discovered recently along interstate highway in Mississippi, "a pair of handcuffs can keep you safe if you find yourself in a situation where you have to subdue someone," she said.

She also suggested carrying a flashlight on a keychain. Each year, more and more officers are injured or killed in off-duty encounters. By educating and empowering police families, officers can stay safe and keep their families safe this summer.

That was from a email I got today from Calibre Press... Their is a story that went along with this email but it is pretty long..

It is not being paranoid it is being safe and keeping those around you SAFE!
              ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Hutch, I just read that last night. It popped into my head as I read the post I responded to. Good one.
                "I only had a couple!"

Comment

Seriously? You would never carry off duty? Do you live in a make believe world where nothing bad can happen if you can't see it? You wou;dn't protect your family, friends or even strangers who may be in a life threatening situation? Carrying doesn't mean you have to arrest every bad guy you see, but you've been given the gift of personal protection by your state and you feel you don't need it? OK, I'm not really picking on you, but....
                  Jerry
                  "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

OK.... just like every other board a good question about carrying off-duty is, again, going to end up on a bash on who is wrong or right for carrying off-duty.

Some people don't carry off-duty and that is fine by me. Some people carry off-duty all the time, fine by me. It is a personal decision and a lot of factors go into that decision.

To judge either or is pretty pathetic and should not in anyway reflect the professionalism or ability of an officer. It is a choice...

(If there were actual moderators on this board, hopefully they would close this now before it gets worse...)

K9

Comment

Agreed with K9....

It is good either way... It is what YOU personally want to do...

I guess we really Hijacked this thread... Medici... Did your questions get answered?
                      ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

off duty

You're right on both points. 1. I apologize to Insane1 for being a fanatic, K9 was correct, it's a personal choice and, 2. This has nothing to do with Minn. I'll climb down off my soapbox now.
                        Jerry
                        "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

K9 Bro.. I knew something like that might happen if I said that... Thanks...

SEE.. SOMEONE HAS MY BACK.....

Just a quick response.. I don't take offense to any comments

Also, one of my best friends carries it EVERYWHERE.. he had a compartment specially made in his SUV for it.. I think he's nuts.... But Love him anyway... He's my Boy Blue....

Now settle down everyone..
                          Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Insane1, I would have to say that your comment probably started the whole discussion as it obviously offended some people.

No big deal, just saying though...

K9

Comment

Yeah, my intentions here were not to start a personal battle of wits and who is right and who is wrong.
                              I am a new licensed peace office in Minnesota. I don't know everything and don't pretend I do. I have made mistakes and will make many more.
                              The question was about the "legalese" of police officer carrying in MN. Prior to getting this LE job, I thought I would carry all the time and be the "hero" if something happens. However, I am finding out that police work is simply WORK and nothing more.
                              Do I carry off-duty now? NO. Do I want to? SOMETIMES.
                              I want to know the laws regarding the rights of officers when carrying off-duty. I don't want to be in a position when the Manager of Applebee's or Taco Bell or Hospital Security tells me that I can't carry my gun in their place of business if by chance they see the buldge on my hip or something. I want to quote the Conceal and Carry Law and the section for Police Officers if they want to get into the ****ing match.
                              Please, no ranting, raving or bashing here... Save it for the Ask an Officer or General Discussion groups.
                              Was there a law passed by Bush stating something to the effect the license officers can carry countrywide. If I go to North Dakota could I carry my gun concealed??
                              We intimidate those who intimidate others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5367 users online. 321 members and 5046 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X