300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Differential

It's contract negotiation time and we are looking to get shift differential. Looking to see what other departments already have in their contract so we have a basis on what to ask for. Thanks!

OOPPS, my bad. After posting I saw you were only looking for MN agencies. Sorry.

But come to California. we only have light snow in the mountains and an occasional earthquake.

From an agency with 7,500 sworn members.

Night Shift Pay
    a. Employees shall receive night shift pay as set forth below:

(1) Night shift pay is earned on a day-by-day basis. Employees must work a
    qualifying shift, or be on a paid leave of absence when scheduled to work a
    qualifying shift, to receive compensation.

(2) Employees shall qualify for a swing shift pay differential of $1.00 per hour when
    four or more hours of the regularly scheduled work shift fall between 1800 and
    0100 hours.

(3) Employees shall qualify for a graveyard shift differential of $1.50 per hour when
    four or more hours of the regularly scheduled work shift fall between 2300 and
    0600 hours.

(4) A “regularly scheduled shift” are those regularly assigned work hours established
    by the Department head or his/her designee for the duration of at least one
    monthly period.
    Last edited by L-1; 03-17-2015, 01:48 PM.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Nothing for us..

Comment

We work 12s -- 6a to 6p and 6p to 6a. No differentials.
        Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
        Among Texas' finest
        Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
        Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
        Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Ours is a percentage of top patrol pay which currently equals out to like 1.30 an hour. Federal is 10% of base pay which like 2.25 to 2.90 an hour...
          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

There is one south metro agency with a $0.27/hr shift differential, but they mandate that you have to work Dog Watch and that your regular assigned shift must extend beyond 0245hrs. The agency intentionally did it this way to save a few bucks and screw their mid shift officers, who end their shift at 0245. Only the dog watch and night Sgt get shift differential, which totals out to being at most 8 officers in the entire dept who can get it.

If your agency runs a mid shift or evening power, make sure to negotiate to get those guys in on the differential pay. This ensures that A.) you don't cause the shift bid to get all wonky and cause people to change shifts to chase the money, and B.) you don't create more resentment towards the agency because you have a shift that deserves the pay but doesn't get it just because their shift ends 3 hours earlier (or whatever) than the dog cars. I previously worked at that south metro agency, and I can't tell you how plssed the fvck off we were on midshift.
            Last edited by Reedo; 03-18-2015, 03:28 AM.
            "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
            -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by squad51 View Post
              Ours is a percentage of top patrol pay which currently equals out to like 1.327 an hour.
              and it encompasses mid, mid-power and dog watch shifts.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
              -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

I found this for the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office: http://www.hcsda.com/Resources/HCSDA...2014-2015).pdf

Comment

Carver Counties night diff is .85/hr if the majority of your shift occurs after 1500.

Comment

Shift differential? What's that? Oh, right. It's something that a lot of other MAC departments get, but they won't give to the PD because it's "comparing apples to oranges". That's very convenient for them, but we're apples to apples when it comes to getting the same pay raise percentage as the rest of the MAC departments
                    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Our contract has 5% of base pay for all hours worked between 1800-0600.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner Portion
                        They cheated you out of a lousy 27 cents? I would have been upset at the paltry 27 cents in the first place. That is insulting.

I would think the OP's union could just contact local 320 and see what they have been able to negotiate for their members.
                        Well when I was there and we finally got the shift differential, a lot of people were happy that it even happened. I personally was miffed that it was $0.27, because that's pretty much a slap in the face and a middle finger to say "hey, if we could pay you less, we would" mixed with "we think you're dumb enough to think this is enough". Midshift not getting it was twisting the dagger once it was already in.
                        -John Adams

Comment

Several contracts ago my guild proposed extra pay for night shift. The city laughed at us, "You guys like working nights."

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. We have 4 shifts, our mid is 1600-0230 and our dog shift is 2000-0630, so we need to make sure the mid shift doesn't get left out.

There are plenty of studies on how bad nights are for your body and health, so hopefully those arguments help us out. Dog shift used to be highly sought after in my department, but now it's just the new guys who get put on nights.

Comment

I believe that a good mechanic could diagnose it fairly quickly...
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7613 users online. 439 members and 7174 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X