300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hours between shift

Is there a law stating there should be a certain number of hours between shift, unless there is an emergency? Or is this something a union contract would have to spell out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - federal employment law says you are required to have 8 hours off between shifts. U.S. Department of Labor standard.
    "In Valor There Is Hope" - Tacitus

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Topace44 View Post
      Yes - federal employment law says you are required to have 8 hours off between shifts. U.S. Department of Labor standard.
      Can you point me in the right direction to find that?

Comment

Originally posted by Knotz View Post
        Can you point me in the right direction to find that?

Duh

The Department of Labor---they have a website
        Originally posted by Topace44 View Post
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Duh

The Department of Labor---they have a website
          Duh

I have checked that's why I'm asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Knotz View Post
            Duh

I have checked that's why I'm asking.

Not very well
            http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

http://www.dol.gov/whd/reg-library.htm

http://search.usa.gov/search?affilia...+shift&x=0&y=0

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Ok I'm not trying to be an *** but I'm not seeing it. I read through those and couldn't find it.

I do appreciate the help!

Comment

Knotz,

Here you go: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm
                  "In Valor There Is Hope" - Tacitus

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

You have the federal law, but your union should have something spelled out to protect officers from "abuse" through scheduling. A 12 Hour Rule is always a good place to start. If you have a scheduled shift that is within 12 hours of another scheduled shift, the entire infringing shift should be able to be paid out as overtime/comp time.
                    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4260 users online. 219 members and 4041 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X