300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Job Opportunity

For those of you willing to travel to North Dakota's oil patch, this is a great opportunity. I do not work here, but work with their guys often. Great group, awesome equipment, and amazing boss. Starting is $58,600 year with lots of OT. Full medical (even family). They have 3 openings starting Jan 1. 12 hour shifts, 5 on, 2 off, 2 on, 5 off.

Application Link
    Last edited by cjs-luke; 12-17-2014, 05:17 PM.
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Luke,

What is the housing situation like there now? I have heard tale of run of the mill one bedroom apartments going for outrageous sums. Not too mention, I have read everything in the boom towns is much more expensive. Heck, the dollar menu at Mickey D's is the $1.39 menu out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
      Luke,

What is the housing situation like there now? I have heard tale of run of the mill one bedroom apartments going for outrageous sums. Not too mention, I have read everything in the boom towns is much more expensive. Heck, the dollar menu at Mickey D's is the $1.39 menu out there.
      The entire state of North Dakota is short on any type of housing. Except maybe Fargo. Outrageous sums for crappy apartments aren't a tale. Guys working the fields are living as far as places like Bismarck, Grand Forks, Fargo etc. I would say for the most part things are more expensive.

But....Working as a cop in the patch you will gain more experience in 1 year than you would in at least 5 years in any non-boom North Dakota town. Same goes for probably quite a few MN agencies excluding the metro. Williston, Watford City, New Town, Dickinson. It truly is the Wild West.

Comment

Interesting article here about housing and such. This guy makes 200K and they live in a camper:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-bakken-shale/

I would think 58K would be tough to live on.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
          Interesting article here about housing and such. This guy makes 200K and they live in a camper:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-bakken-shale/

I would think 58K would be tough to live on.
          I don't think so. I can only speak for the Dickinson area, but we have ample housing. Yes you might pay $1,200 for a brand new 1 bed room apartment, but that's what you have to do to get some law enforcement experience. What's your alternate? Sit in MN and whine about no jobs and make 10 an hour working security?

Areas like Willistion and Watford City have a different housing problem then us. Prior to the oil boom we were still a large city (for North Dakota standards) whereas Willistion and Watford City were small. So they had a lot more "catching up" to do than Dickinson.

They are continuing to build in the Dickinson area so prices keep going down. Plus with the massive amounts of OT available, you can make up for it. I'll make well over 70k this year and that's still having plenty of days off a month and taking vacations. I'm not saying quit your metro PD job and move out here, but if you need a cop job and are willing to move, it'll be worth your time. Plus I know Dunn County has a legit deal going on.

Most agencies out here are about 50-60% Minnesota guys. I've watched a lot come out here for 1-2 years and then get picked up in MN. A lot of MN departments are fully aware of what goes on out here and are looking for guys with experience who want to come back.

Plus like Glock31 said, you'll get more experience and opportunities here. I've been sent to a ton of specialized training and had opportunities that I'd never have in a MN dept. You want drug task force, SWAT, FTO, Instructor etc.. Those opportunities are available to you within the first 1-2 years instead of 5-6 in a Minnesota department. No to menition dealing with crimes and situations that my buddies in MN never deal with. Sure I'd love to work closer to home, but I wouldn't trade my experiences I've had here for the world.
          Last edited by cjs-luke; 12-19-2014, 11:27 AM.
          Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

This can give you an idea on rent prices. I didn't scroll down very far, but I don't think I saw an apartment/house for rent in the oil field region for less than $1,700.

http://nd.craigslist.org/search/apa

Some departments will assist with housing or at least maybe have some phone numbers of locals who will rent to you for a little cheaper.

The Williston, Watford City, New Town area IMO is much more dirty and busy compared to Dickinson.

Like Luke said, Dickinson is probably a little bit easier to find housing but that doesn't mean it will be cheap.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5707 users online. 335 members and 5372 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X