300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hennepinc County Sheriff's Detention Deputy

I was curious if anyone could tell me about this position? What does the job entail? Is it a sworn position? Or is it more like a Detention Correctional officer nonsworn/no firearm?
    Last edited by vivithemage; 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM.

Hennepin County Sheriff's Detention Deputy

I am sort of surprised that nobody else has responded to this yet. They work in the jail. It is non-sworn position. They are not issued firearms. There are a number of people on here that have worked at the Hennepin County Jail, so no doubt one, or more, will reply with additional details.

Comment

Thanks, looking forward to what others post!

Comment

Use the search tool man. Here are some posts from other users:

Depends...how bad do you need a job? It's a great place to get some ft me expeirence , but plan on having to work lots of overtime and paying for your own parking in downtown mpls. With the new stadium going in , it will be a mess. Supervisors there are hit and miss. Some are good, most are idiots standing on their soap box. I wouldn't leave a current le agency to go there, but if you are looking for your first let job, or want a better paying jib instead of digging ditches...apply.

I started with them as a licensed deputy in the jail, I started with two other licensed and one detention deputy that was being promoted to licensed. Most of the deputies in the jail were detention, but they needed and probably still do need licensed for inmate transports and guarding at the hospital.

There was A LOT of OT. Some guys worked 12 hour shifts on their scheduled days on and they would work 12 hour shifts on their days off. We worked 6 days on and 3 days off.

There was also the "draft list". Everyone was on an OT list. If they needed to fill a shift, they would take the top person on the list, basically mandatory OT. Once that person was "drafted" they would go to the bottom of the list. Most of the time the would run through the list pretty quick. There were times they "drafted" an entire squad. Can't remember how many there were in a squad, maybe 12?

Licensed deputies worked 8 hr days and detention worked 8 1/2, contract issues I think. So we had a 6/3 payback. We ended up owing the County time because apparently we worked less than 2080 hours in a year, but were full time employees. I never figured it out though. Anyway, every pay stub would tell how much we owed. If it got up to 8 hours, technically a sgt could call us in for a shift and we would basically work for free. But I never saw that. We would have a weekly squad meeting where we had to come in an hour early. So instead of getting paid OT, I would use it for the 6/3 payback. My time never got over 4 hours.

We had 3 squads, A, B, and C. So we overlapped with each squad 3 days. First 3 days were in housing and the last were in booking/intake. When we were in housing, B squad was in booking.

That's probably too much info, but it gives you an idea how it was back then. It was actually fun working in booking. A lot of inmate/deputy, inmate/inmate fights. Very busy!

Wasn't uncommon to book in 100 people on the graveyard shift in the Summer time on a weekend. I remember getting off work and seeing MPD squads lined up around City Hall. Sometimes they would wait hours to get in and book their prisoner.

It was a great experience and worked with a lot of great people.

For some it was a stepping stone in the LE field, for others it was their one and only department. I needed to leave though. I couldn't stand working inside for another 3 to 5 more years before I worked patrol.

There was a deputy who was assigned to Court Security, he never had any plans to do anything else. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Court Security was and probably still is the largest division within the Sheriff's Office. Including the main courthouse, Juvenile, Outer Division (Brookdale, Southdale, and Ridgedale) and building security, I think we had 90 deputies.

I was told by a lot of people that Stanek doesn't like the detention deputies. I think it is because they didn't endorse him when he was running for Sheriff.

If you get hired as detention deputy, it can be like an interview. If they like you, you will most likely get promoted to licensed. If they don't, you will probably get passed over a lot. There were a handful who got passed over a lot.

Hopefully this helps.

St. Paul has A LOT HCSO alumni, along with a lot of other departments.

Comment

I did search, but most of what I read was 2010 > and they said things were changing so I thought i'd get a new perspective. Thanks for this though, pretty much sums up what I read . So nothing has changed?
          Last edited by vivithemage; 11-28-2014, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I've posted plenty about the HCSO. Some of it is more recent than 2010, or at least I think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
              I've posted plenty about the HCSO. Some of it is more recent than 2010, or at least I think it is.
              Most of the posts were yours AR-15 . I think I may skip on the detention deputy, doesn't sound like where I want to be.

Comment

Since Stanek won his election again, there is a lot of retaliation going on (the deputies union made a "no confidence" vote in him and endorsed the other candidate). It's a job, and if they like you - it should transition into a sworn position eventually.

Sheriff's departments are VERY political though - all through the ranks. Who gets promoted/special assignments revolves around who you pound yard signs for.
                "In Valor There Is Hope" - Tacitus

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Topace44 View Post
                  Since Stanek won his election again, there is a lot of retaliation going on (the deputies union made a "no confidence" vote in him and endorsed the other candidate). It's a job, and if they like you - it should transition into a sworn position eventually.

Sheriff's departments are VERY political though - all through the ranks. Who gets promoted/special assignments revolves around who you pound yard signs for.
                  I'm thinking some in MPD were even affected by the Sheriff's race.

Comment

I worked there once. loved it. the only thing that sucked was finding a parking spot and paying for parking downtown. otherwise, I'd do that job again. (Standing on the concrete in intake for 12hours sucks too) but id still do it again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6059 users online. 354 members and 5705 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X