300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiring?

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which police departments are hiring in MN that don't require any college credits. The reason I am asking, is because I am looking to get my foot in the door in law enforcement and I do better with hands-on training compared to class room training. I appreciate any and all comments. Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by jdshadow216 View Post
    Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which police departments are hiring in MN that don't require any college credits. The reason I am asking, is because I am looking to get my foot in the door in law enforcement and I do better with hands-on training compared to class room training. I appreciate any and all comments. Thank you for your time.
    None. A college degree is required for licensing. Try going into the military.

https://dps.mn.gov/entity/post/becom...to-become.aspx

Comment

I have found one that doesn't require college. Was just wondering if there were any more out there.

Comment

I forgot to add that I am already 41yrs old. So, any help with getting my foot in the door would be appreciated.

Comment

I forgot to add that I am already 41yrs old. So, any help with getting my foot in the door would be appreciated.
          I think at 41 you can't join the military, but you MIGHT want to look at cadet, if you can get a 2 year degree, or a CSO program. CSO's get paid a little, and the department generally pays for your schooling. It is quite competitive around here though.

Comment

The only one would be Minneapolis, which runs police recruit classes through its own academy, but even that is not really true, since you would still be doing all the academic work required by the POST board... just at the academy. There is no way to avoid the academic work required by the POST board. Minneapolis Police Recruit is the only way to go into the field in MN without a degree from somewhere.

Everywhere else in the state will require you to have a minimum of a two-year degree and completion of skills + passing the POST board exam.

The MN POST board site is pretty clear, I suggest you read it. There are three paths to becoming a police officer in Minnesota. 1) Complete a two- or four-year criminal justice/law enforcement degree program at a PPOE-accredited school in Minnesota, then pass the POST board exam. 2) Complete any two- or four-year degree program at an accredited school and then complete a law enforcement certificate program through a PPOE-accredited school. 3) Apply for reciprocity through military or out-of-state law enforcement experience.
            Last edited by SamRudolph; 11-04-2014, 01:44 PM. Reason: Corrected misinformation
            Originally posted by Michigan
            Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

^^^^^
              This. Minnesota isn't a state where you can just start being a cop all of a sudden. The job market is flooded with applicants with four year degrees and the required training. Heck, even a lot of the CSO positions, which would be considered entry level are filled with people with four year degrees. It sounds like you haven't been an officer in another state nor an MP, so your only option to ever be a police officer in this state would be to get a two year degree, take SKILLS, meet all POST requirements and then pass the test. Then you can apply with 100+ people for one opening.

Comment

Or move to WA where a college degree is not required...

Comment

The academy IS class room training. Months of it.
                  Last edited by CCCSD; 11-08-2014, 08:03 PM.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

If you can't handle classroom training, you need to find a new job field. To get the certification, you need to be educated to state requirements, which requires classroom training. If you don't want college, your only recourse is to get hired outside the state for a minimum of 3 consecutive years sworn. This will generally require you to attend a police academy that can last anywhere from 4-9 months long. If you can't handle classroom, you're screwed. This is aside from the fact that academies function through modified stress, which is typically militaristic in style. You will be yelled at, PT'd, and generally treated like pond scum for a long time. It's not about how you can handle the classroom, but whether you have the self discipline to force yourself through it. If you don't have that discipline, you won't make it through any training program.

Putting that aside for a moment, there is tons of classroom work for LE both in training and in-service. You have to differentiate between not LIKING classroom, and not being able to handle classroom. For whatever reason, if you can't handle classroom training, you're not going to make it in this job field. All of us that are cops sit through hours upon hours of classroom training with death-by-powerpoint and annoying lectures, and occasionally really fun and entertaining training. Sometimes we laugh and have a good time and learn a lot, and sometimes we drink coffee until our eyeballs are floating and we have to plss like a racehorse, and we start dreaming about how much beer it's going to take to destroy the braincells in our heads that were affected by the training. Regardless, we HAVE to do the classroom training.

I will tell you that if you have the mentality that you can't sit in a classroom ever, no agency worth their weight will want to deal with you. Minneapolis, St. Paul and MSP academies are the longest and most comprehensive in Minnesota. They all have major academic components, as well as long hours of tedious repetitive activities (which is basically what classroom time is). Cadet programs still require you to have a post-secondary degree. Other agencies are not going to have a cadet program.

This isn't easy, and you're trying to find an easy way in. Good luck with that, because it's not going to happen. What are you going to have to offer that the current 3,000+ applicants don't have (applicants that have either college, military or lateral experience I might add..)? I get the distinct impression that you have no realistic understanding of what the LE profession entails, and the actual training and certification requirements. Your research should start with the POST Board website, not here.
                    Last edited by Reedo; 11-05-2014, 11:18 PM.
                    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
                    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Everything Reedo said is correct. Although to be fair to the original poster, he merely said he does better with hands on training, not that he hates calssroom training or cannot handle it.

Since I worked 50 plus hours a week during college it took me 6 years to get through everything. The classroom training is mind numbing at times. I could handle it in my 20's, but now that I am older than the OP, the idea of just getting started in college is about as appealing as the idea of living in north Minneapolis.

Comment

Hiring?

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
                        .....the idea of just getting started in college is about as appealing as the idea of living in north Minneapolis.
                        Too funny! I can't believe that you just posted that. I must admit, though, that kind of honesty is refreshing. We are so hung up on being politically correct, that when the truth is spoken, it is almost shocking!

Comment

Hey JD...the closest thing MN has with what you're looking for is maybe getting into a Reserve Unit with a dept in your city or where ever you can. As an example, the Scott County Sheriff's Dept "hires" those that want to get that foot in the door or just wants to give back. Its volunteer, most if not all Reserve Units are on MN I believe but its a start. I did it for 8 yrs and it was very educational and you get as close to "hands on" as you'll get. Looks good on the resume. Check out your cities website, or any other city, and see if they have this and then check out the details. Other than this, heed the others posts and advice on the educational part...MN is extremely competitive and the standards extremely high just to be eligible to be hired here so if you're serious about this field, you need to go to school. Once you start, see about getting into a Community Service Officer (CSO) unit with a dept. Its a paid position and that will get you even further into the door, especially with that dept...most times, not all.

Also, if you're 41 now...and are just now getting the itch to do this, to be honest with you, you will have a huge uphill climb getting hired even with out the climb it entails just to get hired here anyways. Out state will be your best bet and even that's not a given. I graduated at 40 in 2007 with a bachelors in L.E. went on what seemed like a bazillion interviews for 4 1/2 years until I met two chiefs and they were brutally honest with me off record...they told me if at 45, I'm still looking for a job, might as well pack it in. A lot of depts were hiring much younger...so much for the "life experience" I'd kept hearing was so important. I did get close a couple times, came in 2nd with Rice County and 3rd for Montgomery. Now Im not saying a person couldnt be hired in thier 40's, Im sure with the proper military experience and ability to give a good interview that person might be a good fit over the younger candidates. My military was ancient '90 -'94 and sucked at interviews. But just be aware, you have to do some book learin' to fulfill the POST requirements.

Comment

Hiring?

Jdshadow216,

Maybe a non-sworn job at a county jail would be a good fit.

Comment

^
                              Hennepin County is hiring detention deputies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3130 users online. 166 members and 2964 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X