Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savage MN posting

http://www.cityofsavage.com/employment#Police

After our posting last year we hired 3 officers. 1 was a CSO and 2 from outside. We currently have one immediate opening, and word is we will have one more after the first of the year. No internal candidates are ready anytime soon.

Questions please ask.

Rats jumping off a sinking ship?
    Last edited by Reedo; 10-26-2014, 11:13 PM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    -John Adams

Disclaimer: My statements are personal opinions, and in no way reflect those of my agency.

Comment

Reedo, are you implying that the reasons for the openings are that the department is going downhill fast and officers are heading elsewhere?

Comment

I do not feel that is the case. Of the last several spots we have had open, 2 were from retirements, 1 officer's family had a baby and decided to be home, 1 left for one of the large metro agencies, and one is looking to go to a larger agency in Dakota county.

Not going into everything for the two going to other agencies, in general I think they were limited by a smaller department in what they wanted to be able to do.

We are not North Minneapolis. On average at night, where a new person would start, there could be as few as 2 or 3 calls per officer for the entire shift. Some people like running call to call, and the calls being assaults and the more "serious" type, a smaller department isn't for everyone. I do think we will have steady growth the next 5 to 10 years.

We have had a new patrol captain for almost 2 years now, and he is well liked. He was a former swat guy, and served as a sniper. He is not out of touch with being on the road. I believe we are supported and are given a fair degree of freedom.

Good luck to anyone that applied.

Comment

People leave departments for all kinds of reasons. A lot of reasons most people would not understand. And to be honest, it is none of anyone's business why someone wants to leave.

I have been in law enforcement for over 16 years and have worked for three agencies, going on my fourth and hopefully my last.

I left Hennepin County because I didn't want to work Court Security for another two to three more years. So that's why I applied to St. Paul. I had some good years at St. Paul, but after 12 years, it was time to move on. My wife and I were sick of the cold and snow of MN, that's why we decided to move to WA. I have many more years to work and now was a good time to make the move.

Auburn is a good department, but too small. Not too many opportunities for advancement.

King County is a much larger agency. A lot more opportunities. Take home car and a nice little raise.....

People will always ask, why? Why the move?

I was surprised to see MPD Assistant Chief Matt Clark's name as a candidate for the Bellevue's Police Chief job. That's certainly a very different department than MPD. But he has his reasons.

One thing I have learned in law enforcement is that family comes first, some people who get into this line of work forget that.

If you are thinking about making that change, just do it. You only live once.

Comment

Savage MN Posting

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
            People leave departments for all kinds of reasons.....If you are thinking about making that change, just do it. You only live once.
            Excellent points. In fact, all other factors being equal, I would generally prefer an applicant for new hire, or promotion, with diversity of experience. While I am not necessarily saying that someone who works for only one agency, and only one assignment is a bad thing, I just think that someone who is willing to try and gain diverse experience is generally a good thing.

Lets just say, for the sake of discussion, that there is an opening for sergeant. All other factors being equal. Say both are the same age, similar levels of education, etc. If one had been on patrol the entire ten years of their career at that agency, but the other one had two years at another agency and then eight years at the current agency. Of those eight years, some were patrol, some as a school cop, and some in investigation, I might be more inclined to select the applicant with the more diverse background. I realize full well that many here will vehemently disagree with that comment. They might contend that "working the street" trumps everything. Well, maybe they are right, but I just think that having some varied experience is a good thing.

Comment

AR-15, you ought to change your screen name to "Have Gun...Will Travel"! Isn't this your third Washington agency? With winter around the corner, I would say you made a wise choice.

Savage seems like a good group of guys. I still read Frank Mackall's wife's blog from time to time and it really seemed everyone from the department and the chief were/are there for him.

With the ton of LE applicants out there, I would imagine they would get a good officer on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
                AR-15, you ought to change your screen name to "Have Gun...Will Travel"! Isn't this your third Washington agency? With winter around the corner, I would say you made a wise choice.

Savage seems like a good group of guys. I still read Frank Mackall's wife's blog from time to time and it really seemed everyone from the department and the chief were/are there for him.

With the ton of LE applicants out there, I would imagine they would get a good officer on board.
                Yes it is and hopefully my last.

I don't have any regrets moving.

Comment

Yes it is and hopefully my last.

I don't have any regrets moving.
                  You have spent more time on probation then most of your "customers"! Good luck with KCSO. Seems like an agency with a ton of options. What are you hoping to do there?

Comment

You have spent more time on probation then most of your "customers"! Good luck with KCSO. Seems like an agency with a ton of options. What are you hoping to do there?
                    There are a lot of options. Marine Unit, Sound or Transit Police (the Sheriff's Office has a contract with both), Contract city department, Boeing Field/King County Airport. Deputies are crossed trained between police and fire fighter @ the airport. Tac 30 (SWAT) or bomb squad. The possibilities are endless.

The contract city assignment is kind of unique. Some cities contract with the County to provide police services. For example, the City of Maple Valley which is Southeast of Seattle contracts with the Sheriff's Office. Their squad cars and uniforms say Maple Valley Police, but the "officers" are actually King County Deps. On the side of their squads it say something like "in partnership with King County Sheriff's Office" But in big letters it says Maple Valley Police. There are about 12 cities that do that. So if there is an opening in one of the cities, the Sheriff's Admin would post for the position. And all cities issue take home cars. In fact every sworn position within the Sheriff's Office is issued a take home squad.

Unlike Shoreview, Gem Lake, or Arden Hills, Ramsey County patrols those cities, but the squads still say Ramsey County Sheriff's Office.

And in the long run, going back on probation one last time is worth it. I look at the big picture. Some people would settle where they are, instead of taking a chance.

Comment

There are a lot of options. Marine Unit, Sound or Transit Police (the Sheriff's Office has a contract with both), Contract city department, Boeing Field/King County Airport. Deputies are crossed trained between police and fire fighter @ the airport. Tac 30 (SWAT) or bomb squad. The possibilities are endless.

The contract city assignment is kind of unique. Some cities contract with the County to provide police services. For example, the City of Maple Valley which is Southeast of Seattle contracts with the Sheriff's Office. Their squad cars and uniforms say Maple Valley Police, but the "officers" are actually King County Deps. On the side of their squads it say something like "in partnership with King County Sheriff's Office" But in big letters it says Maple Valley Police. There are about 12 cities that do that. So if there is an opening in one of the cities, the Sheriff's Admin would post for the position. And all cities issue take home cars. In fact every sworn position within the Sheriff's Office is issued a take home squad.

Unlike Shoreview, Gem Lake, or Arden Hills, Ramsey County patrols those cities, but the squads still say Ramsey County Sheriff's Office.

And in the long run, going back on probation one last time is worth it. I look at the big picture. Some people would settle where they are, instead of taking a chance.
                      Interesting. And, if I remember right aren't the contract cities "chiefs" actually captains in the Sheriff's Office? King County used to be on COPS a lot back in the early 90's.

I have always thought of PERA as the gold standard for police retirement packages. How does Washington's compare?

Comment

Interesting. And, if I remember right aren't the contract cities "chiefs" actually captains in the Sheriff's Office? King County used to be on COPS a lot back in the early 90's.

I have always thought of PERA as the gold standard for police retirement packages. How does Washington's compare?
                        For the most part, yes they are Captains.

The retirement out here isn't as good. Two percent for every year of service compared to three in MN. We can retire at 53 W/O a penalty, I think MN changed it to 55. I had 15 1/2 years in MN and kept my pension there. So I need to work a minimum of 13 more years herein WA. Depending on where or what I am doing within the Sheriff's Office, I may work longer.

I am making a lot more out here than MN. I got a huge pay raise going from Auburn to King County. Plus there is a ton of OT with King County. The top three wage earners with King County made over $175,000 the last few years. And those were patrol deputies. I don't plan on working that much OT, but it is nice that it is there if I want it.

The cost of living is a little higher out here. No State income tax, which is good and bad.

Comment

Just information in case anyone is interested. About 40 people are being brought in for short interviews this week and next. Interviews are only about 15 minutes and are with a Capt and a Sgt. Word is a start date for two officers sometime in February.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4247 users online. 241 members and 4006 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X