300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window tint law

I have a question that the local tint places can't really answer. I want to get my windows tinted and I want to be legal. I know the legal limit is 50% +/- 3%.

However, almost every single vehicle I know of comes from the factory with at least some slight tinting of the glass. My concern is that although the window film may be 50%, when it is applied to the already slightly tinted factory glass that the net effect will put me over the legal limit.

What is your interpretation of the law?

Yep. That's why the shop should test the existing tint and apply new tint to equal 50%.
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

Total tint (factory + aftermarket) may not exceed 50%.

However that combination works out for you.
      "In Valor There Is Hope" - Tacitus

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

Thanks for the replies, that is what I was thinking. Although I have seen cars with 50% tint applied to the modest factory tint and there is no issue at all with seeing into the vehicle (which is what I am guessing is the reason for the law and why select officer choose to enforce it).

I spend a lot of time down south and down there almost everyone has their windows tinted dark as heck. I mean so dark that you can't tell if the person on the other side of the glass is holding a sub sandwhich or a sub machine gun.

I do like the look of a moderate tint but am more interested in the safety aspects of a tint job. Also, the tint does not have to be dark to block out a ton of UV rays and reduce heat, glare, and damage to upholstery.

I do see a fair amount of cars around here with obviously much darker than legal tint. It must not be a big deal for most cops.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
          It must not be a big deal for most cops.
          Must be the ones who don't make traffic stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Glock31 View Post
            Must be the ones who don't make traffic stops.
            Not sure about what the cause is. Just sure that I see vehicles all the time with tint that is obviously darker than legal. Perhaps cops are using it as PC for stops but just not writing for it.

Comment

Maybe all those people have perceptions from their doctors. Yes, it's a real thing (at least in SC), learned it the other day!

Comment

Originally posted by SkyBehind View Post
                Maybe all those people have perceptions from their doctors. Yes, it's a real thing (at least in SC), learned it the other day!
                Yes, if you can get a prescription from your doc you can have darker than legal tint. I doubt that all the people I see have prescriptions though.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
                  Yes, if you can get a prescription from your doc you can have darker than legal tint. I doubt that all the people I see have prescriptions though.
                  Yeah man, thats why I put the rolleyes face, lol.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5263 users online. 300 members and 4963 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X