300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a job?

You might want to consider coming out to the Pacific Northwest.

There are a lot of departments hiring.

-King and Pierce Counties are continuously hiring. And other smaller departments also. Departments typically hire more than one officer, unlike in MN where they might hire one or two in a year.

Some things to consider:
    -A lot of departments offer education incentive, a college degree is not required out here.
    You can get an extra 3 to 4 % more with an AAS degree and up to 6% with a bachelors degree. With my education incentive and top patrol pay, I am making over $78,000 a year. More than if I would have stayed with SPPD.
    -A few departments are offering signing bonuses of up to $5,000, usually $2,500 the first paycheck and $2,500 when you pass probation.
    -More departments offer take home squads, without being assigned to a specialty unit like K-9 or SWAT.
    -No state income tax in WA.
    -Most departments pay more than in MN.
    -We don't get a lot of snow and sub zero temps.
    -Tactical jumpsuits for uniforms (Blumenthal's or Bratwear) to get an idea of what they look like.

Most departments use a testing vendor like, www.publicsafetytesting.com and www.nationaltestingnetwork.com.

When you register, you have the option of sending your scores to as many departments as you want.
    You take a scenario based video test, if you pass, then you move onto the physical agility test (PAT).
    The PAT consists of a 300 yard dash, 1 1/2 mile run, sit ups, and push ups. Basic Cooper standards.

After testing and depending on your overall score, departments you selected may or may not contact you to continue in their selection process.

The test is usually done in a day, so that may save you at least one trip out there. Some departments have an accelerated testing process to minimize the number of trips you have to make.

I am not recruiting for one department over another. I wanted to let people know in MN that there are jobs out here and they are in need of good people. I am sure the job market in MN is still pretty tough.

I spoke with a Pierce County K-9 handler this morning. He told me there are over 50 deputies that are eligible to retire right now with his department alone. And King County is hiring a lot also. We currently have around five or six openings, we are in the Public Safety Testing group (Auburn PD).

Here is the State's website to find out more about law enforcement in the PNW, www.cjtc.state.wa.us/. There is an employment section which has a list of departments currently hiring.

If you are interested in a specific department, I would contact them directly because I am not sure how they would hire some one with a college degree and skills, but no experience. Most departments would not hire you as lateral because you don't have the experience, but have the training.

I have no regrets moving out here. Don't miss the snow and 30 below zero wind chills! And it doesn't rain as much as everyone thinks it does. I can't remember the last time we had rain, maybe three months ago. 70 degrees and sunny, no complaints. And no humidity and high dew points.

PM if you have any questions, I will try and answer the best I can.

Although I don't work out there, I have two friends who do (Pierce County SO and Lakewood PD) and can vouch for AR-15's comments. The Pacific NW is an awesome place to live. I was in the process with Pierce County and Seattle PD before getting hired here. Definately a good starting point if you can't find work here...and who knows, maybe you'll end up liking it and staying there forever haha

Comment

Why is the job market in MN so flooded?

Comment

Originally posted by atsteele View Post
        Why is the job market in MN so flooded?
        Because the licensing schools will accept damn near anyone that can afford the tuition, regardless of their realistic chances of ever being hired.
        The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Should the POST change it? Seems outrageous that everyone and their mother can get certified.

Comment

Should the POST change it? Seems outrageous that everyone and their mother can get certified.
            Those people don't get hired... usually. But, people do make a ton of money off of them so I don't see the benefit in changing it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by gopherpuckfan View Post
              Because the licensing schools will accept damn near anyone that can afford the tuition, regardless of their realistic chances of ever being hired.
              Exactly... I have no idea how many schools offer LE programs, but is way too many. They are pumping out tons of students.

Other than St. Paul, Minneapolis, and the State Patrol, there are not enough departments hiring in large groups in MN. Suburban departments may hire one or two officers a year.

In Washington, you have to be hired first, then go through a State academy. Basically being sponsored by a department. There are still a lot of people applying, but probably not as many as in MN.

Comment

Should they change it? Yes. Will they? NO!. Like others have said, it's all about money.

You are certified to be eligible to get hired and take the POST, but doesn't mean you will actually pass the POST and get hired. For some, it can be a long process.

Comment

Originally posted by AR-15 View Post
                  You might want to consider coming out to the Pacific Northwest.

There are a lot of departments hiring.

-King and Pierce Counties are continuously hiring. And other smaller departments also. Departments typically hire more than one officer, unlike in MN where they might hire one or two in a year.

Some things to consider:
                  -A lot of departments offer education incentive, a college degree is not required out here.
                  You can get an extra 3 to 4 % more with an AAS degree and up to 6% with a bachelors degree. With my education incentive and top patrol pay, I am making over $78,000 a year. More than if I would have stayed with SPPD.
                  -A few departments are offering signing bonuses of up to $5,000, usually $2,500 the first paycheck and $2,500 when you pass probation.
                  -More departments offer take home squads, without being assigned to a specialty unit like K-9 or SWAT.
                  -No state income tax in WA.
                  -Most departments pay more than in MN.
                  -We don't get a lot of snow and sub zero temps.
                  -Tactical jumpsuits for uniforms (Blumenthal's or Bratwear) to get an idea of what they look like.

Most departments use a testing vendor like, www.publicsafetytesting.com and www.nationaltestingnetwork.com.

When you register, you have the option of sending your scores to as many departments as you want.
                  You take a scenario based video test, if you pass, then you move onto the physical agility test (PAT).
                  The PAT consists of a 300 yard dash, 1 1/2 mile run, sit ups, and push ups. Basic Cooper standards.

After testing and depending on your overall score, departments you selected may or may not contact you to continue in their selection process.

The test is usually done in a day, so that may save you at least one trip out there. Some departments have an accelerated testing process to minimize the number of trips you have to make.

I am not recruiting for one department over another. I wanted to let people know in MN that there are jobs out here and they are in need of good people. I am sure the job market in MN is still pretty tough.

I spoke with a Pierce County K-9 handler this morning. He told me there are over 50 deputies that are eligible to retire right now with his department alone. And King County is hiring a lot also. We currently have around five or six openings, we are in the Public Safety Testing group (Auburn PD).

Here is the State's website to find out more about law enforcement in the PNW, www.cjtc.state.wa.us/. There is an employment section which has a list of departments currently hiring.

If you are interested in a specific department, I would contact them directly because I am not sure how they would hire some one with a college degree and skills, but no experience. Most departments would not hire you as lateral because you don't have the experience, but have the training.

I have no regrets moving out here. Don't miss the snow and 30 below zero wind chills! And it doesn't rain as much as everyone thinks it does. I can't remember the last time we had rain, maybe three months ago. 70 degrees and sunny, no complaints. And no humidity and high dew points.

PM if you have any questions, I will try and answer the best I can.

Actually, I wouldn't mind that at all! What in particular is hiring?

Comment

Is this a different agency than you started with out there? In looking at their annual report, I thought it was for rural Idaho...not a lot of diversity. I saw all kinds of people: Younger white officers, slightly older white officers, and even slightly older yet white officers. Oh..and one tall Asian guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Long Relief View Post
                      Is this a different agency than you started with out there? In looking at their annual report, I thought it was for rural Idaho...not a lot of diversity. I saw all kinds of people: Younger white officers, slightly older white officers, and even slightly older yet white officers. Oh..and one tall Asian guy.
                      Long story short, yes, it is a different department than I worked for in 2008.

And yes, the city is not very diverse. Different kinds of customers compared to St. Paul.

No regrets moving. Don't miss the cold and snow in MN.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6346 users online. 341 members and 6005 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X